WJC: 2023 Sweden Roster Talk

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
You can easily tell how important it is to have a very good d-corp. We either have good forwards or good d-corp. Never both. This year it could have been both if Edvinsson, Hävelid and Salmonsson was in. A big shame.

Anyways, Adam Engström is such a good player. Probaly already mature enough for Tre Kronor.

Reactions: EveryDay

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I was looking at old rosters....the year 1991 team did not have Renberg, Wernblom, Näslund and Forsberg on it even thought they where among the best juniors in SHL. What the hell? What is it with swedish coaches?

Pure Talents

Feb 23, 2015
Got to give a few Swedes credit on how they have been doing at the World Juniors. I was a bit skeptical

Milton Oscarson
Skill-wise I still think he is a poor skater with little upside, but he has been good and definitely filled a role. Worked his butt off and looked good along the boards and in front of the net. He has done his job well.

Fabian Wagner
I have always been a fan of Wagner. Think he is an extraordinary all-round player that does most things well. I was, however, surprised to see him make the team as an underager, but I have been pleasantly surprised. Strong two-way game, pretty good physical game and been involved offensively as well.

Axel Sandin-Pellikka
Love his game and skill-level and he has been awesome with the Swedish U18 team, but I did not think he would perform this well and consistently at age 17. Let alone getting big minutes. Challenges Odelius as the most mobile Swedish D. I see him climbing the draft rankings a whole lot. Theo Lindstein,

Got to give a few Swedes credit on how they have been doing at the World Juniors. I was a bit skeptical

Milton Oscarson
Skill-wise I still think he is a poor skater with little upside, but he has been good and definitely filled a role. Worked his butt off and looked good along the boards and in front of the net. He has done his job well.

Fabian Wagner
I have always been a fan of Wagner. Think he is an extraordinary all-round player that does most things well. I was, however, surprised to see him make the team as an underager, but I have been pleasantly surprised. Strong two-way game, pretty good physical game and been involved offensively as well.

Axel Sandin-Pellikka
Love his game and skill-level and he has been awesome with the Swedish U18 team, but I did not think he would perform this well and consistently at age 17. Let alone getting big minutes. Challenges Odelius as the most mobile Swedish D. I see him climbing the draft rankings a whole lot. Theo Lindstein, who?
Fabian Wagner was rounded both in the semi-final and in the bronze medal match in overtime. He gets an undeserved amount of ice time. Wouldn't even have been on the team if he wasn't Havelid and Dahlgren's favorite. Linkoping brother-in-law politics. Many 03 players who are better than some 04 players such as Wagner Lekkerimaki, Odelius, Norén. Sweden was saved again and again in every match by Lindbom. How you can't get more out of Lysell and Rosén is reason enough to question Havelid and company. Not playing Lysell in 3 vs 3 in the semi-finals says it all. Best skater in the entire tournament.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I was looking at old rosters....the year 1991 team did not have Renberg, Wernblom, Näslund and Forsberg on it even thought they where among the best juniors in SHL. What the hell? What is it with swedish coaches?
Holy hell! I just looked up Forsberg and Naslund to see what you were talking about, and they were absolutely lighting it up in the big leagues as 17 year old's. Maybe that was in the second half of the season, post WJC? Doesn't make sense otherwise.

Edit: I just looked up the roster from that team. All 19 year old's except five guys that were 18. Seems like a clear decision to go with experience over talent... that failed badly. That team finished 6th place out of an 8 team field.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad