HF Habs: 2023 Standings Thread: The Final Act - The Beeline for Bedard (Part 4)

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
McDavid will have Danault in his pants for the hole serie.

It will be interesting to see that confrontation., because Danault has the ability to shut down the very best in the playoffs.

It shows how Bergevin f***ed up.
Mcdavid literally destroyed Danault like tomorrow last year.
Danault is useless against Mcdavid lmao

Reactions: ReHabs and BLONG7

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
it would be disgustingly awful to see him rot in Columbus or Arizona. If he ended up in Philly or Anaheim it would be good for hockey, California needs a star again and Philly supports their team given an ounce of talent.

Columbus is not a hockey market, never will be, just like Atlanta. TV market is weak, don't put that much weight into building attendance, they give away 30% of their tickets, another 30% are handed out as door prizes and draws.. its a total dump of a market
I've been there to see a few games before and It actually is a decent hockey city. It's just they have been crap their whole existence. So you can really blame the fans. Wait till they become a good team before judging them.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

It will be interesting to see that confrontation., because Danault has the ability to shut down the very best in the playoffs.

For this one instance… did he? Habs didn‘t make the playoffs in his last year so had we kept Danault, there’s nobody to shut down.

Danault is with LAK, which is also where Bergy is now. :sarcasm: I’d say everything went according to plan.

BTW, I do think MB was a f*** up…

Reactions: Runner77

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022

Danault was playing ahead of a mega good Carey Price. He’s getting overrated at this point.

Reactions: BLONG7

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I would make it a straight lottery for all 16 non-playoff draft positions with no advantage given to teams closer to the bottom. What we saw this last month was pathetic and that would eliminate the problem.

Reactions: Shred

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
First half wasn't that bad. At least it wasn't last year. Remember, no team this year would've been as bad as the Habs last year
That the most disturbing thing. On paper, this team was as bad as last year's. We had a once in a lifetime opportunity to secure the best odds for a generational player and in typical Habs fashion we overachieved when we should not have.

Now watch the team go back to sub 60 pts next year when there are no special player in the draft.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would make it a straight lottery for all 16 non-playoff draft positions with no advantage given to teams closer to the bottom. What we saw this last month was pathetic and that would eliminate the problem.

It'd create an entirely new problem.. which is you'd see a lot more of what Detroit and Washington did, selling off to get better draft positioning/odds, vs. trying to load up and make the play-offs which the Islanders, etc. did

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What we saw this last month was that teams who stunk all year, continued to stink down the stretch.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
That the most disturbing thing. On paper, this team was as bad as last year's. We had a once in a lifetime opportunity to secure the best odds for a generational player and in typical Habs fashion we overachieved when we should not have.

Now watch the team go back to sub 60 pts next year when there are no special player in the draft.
We overachieved because all the young players are developing great under the new regime, thats an amazing thing that for once we have skills coach like Adam Nicholas working with the players on a daily basis and coaches like MSL and Robidas that are mainly focusing on bringing players to optimize every aspects of their games.

We’re doing things the right way for the first time in forever, that’s alot more important than drafting 3 or 5 in this draft!!

Reactions: habsfan891 and 417

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
It'd create an entirely new problem.. which is you'd see a lot more of what Detroit and Washington did, selling off to get better draft positioning/odds, vs. trying to load up and make the play-offs which the Islanders, etc. did

Not sure I understand. All bottom 16 teams would be fighting to compete. Either you make the playoffs, or you get equal odds at winning lottery.

What we saw this last month was that teams who stunk all year, continued to stink down the stretch.

Not sure if you follow professional soccer, but the bottom tier teams are most dangerous when fighting to stay in top flight. That shows that stinking all year does not necessarily mean stinking even worse at the end of the year. When you give teams incentives to lose, they will lose. Give them incentives to win and develop players, and they will compete.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not sure I understand. All bottom 16 teams would be fighting to compete. Either you make the playoffs, or you get equal odds at winning lottery.

Not sure if you follow professional soccer, but the bottom tier teams are most dangerous when fighting to stay in top flight. That shows that stinking all year does not necessarily mean stinking even worse at the end of the year. When you give teams incentives to lose, they will lose. Give them incentives to win and develop players, and they will compete.

Because if you're someone like, let's say Pittsburgh.. if you're not confident you're going to make it in, and you get just as good of odds as anyone else to win a prospect like Bedard - why would you buy? You'd just sell off to the top heavy teams and purposefully miss the play-offs to get in the lottery.

Capitals and Red Wings could have made play-off pushes but chose to sell for a marginal difference in lottery odds for Bedard.. now imagine if those odds were larger? How many other teams would have made the same decision?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Didn't McD destroy that myth last year??

Not sure why you are calling it a myth, McDavid is just not a class of player ANY defensive player can stop right now. He's just 30% faster than the league, there is no catching up to him and that's not talking about his IQ.

Danault did shut down everyone slower, and that's everyone else. Matthews, Crosby etc. (I'd argue Danault would not be stopping prime Crosby either).

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Because if you're someone like, let's say Pittsburgh.. if you're not confident you're going to make it in, and you get just as good of odds as anyone else to win a prospect like Bedard - why would you buy? You'd just sell off to the top heavy teams and purposefully miss the play-offs to get in the lottery.

Capitals and Red Wings could have made play-off pushes but chose to sell for a marginal difference in lottery odds for Bedard.. now imagine if those odds were larger? How many other teams would have made the same decision?
Because the new owners have publicly stated & mandated there will be no retooling / rebuilding as long as Crosby & Malkin are still playing?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
1 point tonight and Nashville will officially pass Florida. This will make our pick 15th i think if Floride is eliminated in the first two rounds.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Not sure why you are calling it a myth, McDavid is just not a class of player ANY defensive player can stop right now. He's just 30% faster than the league, there is no catching up to him and that's not talking about his IQ.

Danault did shut down everyone slower, and that's everyone else. Matthews, Crosby etc. (I'd argue Danault would not be stopping prime Crosby either).
Giving Danault credit for shutting down McD is not a myth, it's just stupid......you are right.
There have been defensive centres do it, but Danault wasn't one of them last year.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Makar held him at bay last year in the playoffs and I can't wait to see that matchup again this year.

Connor vs Cale is the best one on one battle in the league.

As for forward....that's a tough one

Reactions: SOLR

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes, i'm a huge Chelsea FC fan (although right now they're testing my patience like nothing else).

You're talking about relegation here which would never work in the NHL (or NA sports) so I get what you're saying...but I don't have the feeling that teams like the Hawks/Blue Jackets/Sharks/Ducks and even our Habs were "intentionally" losing down the stretch.

They just suck...and some teams have to be at the bottom, just the way it goes.

This is why I actually agree with Bettman when he says that there's no tanking in the NHL...the current system doesn't explicitly reward tanking, so if you as an organization decide to make losing your organizational standard, you might be rewarded by picking 1st, but your odds are 18.5% and I don't think that's worth it personally to sabotage your entire organizational standards for...

See the NBA's draft lottery system is different...that DOES encourage tanking because the bottom 3 teams all have the same odds at picking 1st (and describing this year's prize, Victor Wembanyama, as "generational" might actually be selling him short) at 14% and the 4th worst team has a 12.5% chance, while the 5th worst team has a 10.5% chance.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad