HF Habs: 2023 Standings Thread: The Final Act - The Beeline for Bedard (Part 4)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Mcdavid literally destroyed Danault like tomorrow last year.
Danault is useless against Mcdavid lmao
Let’s not forget that the Kings #1 defenceman last year in the playoffs was Sean Durzi because of injuries. Doughty is back and they have Korpisalo who has been playing very well for them. It’ll be a fun series.

But yeah, McDavid had at least 2 points every game that series except for Game 4 when the Oilers got shutout.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I would make it a straight lottery for all 16 non-playoff draft positions with no advantage given to teams closer to the bottom. What we saw this last month was pathetic and that would eliminate the problem.
The problem with that is then you could have a team that barely misses playoffs like Pens win lottery - and F that lol
But also F the Ducks and Hawks and Flyers and Caps.
F them all!

WE SHOULD GET BEDARRRRRRRRD!!!!

Reactions: LV426 and Rob Sense

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I've been there to see a few games before and It actually is a decent hockey city. It's just they have been crap their whole existence. So you can really blame the fans. Wait till they become a good team before judging them.

nah, the demographics don't lie, Columbus is not a prime market for a star player, never will be.

Reactions: HabzSauce

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
That the most disturbing thing. On paper, this team was as bad as last year's. We had a once in a lifetime opportunity to secure the best odds for a generational player and in typical Habs fashion we overachieved when we should not have.

Now watch the team go back to sub 60 pts next year when there are no special player in the draft.
I disagree. I don't think the Habs overachieved. I think they badly underachieved under DD. They were around where they should be under MSL last year when accounting for both play before and after the TDL

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
George Laraques was saying Columbus is a hockey town. It's a small market, but they're hockey crazy. His cousin, Jean Luc Grand-Pierre played there and told him all about it

Big George and his connections...

• Haha
Reactions: ElQuebecois

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The problem with that is then you could have a team that barely misses playoffs like Pens win lottery - and F that lol
But also F the Ducks and Hawks and Flyers and Caps.
F them all!
WE SHOULD GET BEDARRRRRRRRD!!!!
The Pens getting Bedard would not be the end of the world they are on the verge of collapsing. But Florida was 2 points away from missing the playoffs and Florida getting Bedard would be a huge problem. Obviously people want to fix what is not broken cause we are not last but the current system works and like democracy while it's not perfect it's the best we got..

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The Pens getting Bedard would not be the end of the world they are on the verge of collapsing. But Florida was 2 points away from missing the playoffs and Florida getting Bedard would be a huge problem. Obviously people want to fix what is not broken cause we are not last but the current system works and like democracy while it's not perfect it's the best we got..

Pens getting Bedard would be the end of the world.

That is the luckiest franchise on earth. They've literally had two eras with top players of their generations.

Lemieux/Jagr to Crosby/Malkin.

If they were to go to Bedard/??

It'd be f***ing gross and annoying.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
No Way! They just enjoyed 15 years with Crosby and Malkin and multiple cups. I don’t care if there cupboards are bare I’d be pissed if they got another superstar right now (they can’t thankfully)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That the most disturbing thing. On paper, this team was as bad as last year's. We had a once in a lifetime opportunity to secure the best odds for a generational player and in typical Habs fashion we overachieved when we should not have.

Now watch the team go back to sub 60 pts next year when there are no special player in the draft.
On paper, this roster was mostly unknown. Rookie defensemen, young top-line forwards, a goalie in only his second full season. You can't accuse a roster of overachieving when we had absolutely no idea how well they'd do. We still have no idea how good they'll become. IMO, without so many injuries, this Habs team would've finished around Detroit and Ottawa.

Reactions: HabbyGuy and 417

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Let’s not forget that the Kings #1 defenceman last year in the playoffs was Sean Durzi because of injuries. Doughty is back and they have Korpisalo who has been playing very well for them. It’ll be a fun series.

But yeah, McDavid had at least 2 points every game that series except for Game 4 when the Oilers got shutout.
I love Doughty; I think he's among the top-3 defenseman of the past decade. I'd be cool with LA going on a crazy underdog run, although I'm rooting for Edmonton.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Pens getting Bedard would be the end of the world.

That is the luckiest franchise on earth. They've literally had two eras with top players of their generations.

Lemieux/Jagr to Crosby/Malkin.

If they were to go to Bedard/??

It'd be f***ing gross and annoying.

I mean Pittsburgh and Edmonton both have pairs of amazing players.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Throwing something without much thought here, what about lottery odds that can vary based around share of points?

Lets say two teams finish tied last at 58 pts, they'd get same odds. Team with 60 pts would get slightly lower odds. Team with 75 points would get much lower odds. Team misses the playoffs by 1 pt? Odds almost 0%. Or something like that. We wouldn't lose our mind over the last game anymore at least since it wouldn't chance much.

I haven't given much thought about it so it probably creates some other problems.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
We overachieved because all the young players are developing great under the new regime, thats an amazing thing that for once we have skills coach like Adam Nicholas working with the players on a daily basis and coaches like MSL and Robidas that are mainly focusing on bringing players to optimize every aspects of their games.

We’re doing things the right way for the first time in forever, that’s alot more important than drafting 3 or 5 in this draft!!
I would agree for the first half.

Then everyone got injured and we where forced to play AHLers. That's where we overachieved.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
345E12E5-1ABC-455C-9591-C05B4DBB2F33.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad