Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off Season Part II - Source: Trevor Story has internal brace surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

The Baseball Writers’ Association of America elected 13 players to the Hall of Fame from 2017-20, seven on the first ballot, including the first unanimous choice in history, Mariano Rivera.

Now the spigot is being turned off.

The 2021 election did not produce any Hall of Famers. In 2022, David Ortiz was the lone choice and the only candidate to receive more than 66 percent of the vote.

Do not expect that stingy trend to change for 2023.

With Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and Curt Schilling off the ballot after 10 years of eligibility, Todd Helton, Scott Rolen, and Billy Wagner are the top remaining candidates.

Helton and Rolen have progressed beyond 60 percent, a sign they will eventually gain admission. But vote tracking shows that is unlikely to be this year when the results are announced Jan. 24, although there is a chance.

The same is true for Wagner, who reached 51 percent last year in his fourth season on the ballot.

Carlos Beltrán is the top newcomer, but his role as one of the ringleaders of Houston’s sign-stealing scheme in 2017 is holding down his numbers.

View attachment 633246

f***in' Shaughnessy, lmao.

Silverman is the only one who has it right. Peter Abraham is close. Speie and Sullivan have got a really weird inconsistency in their voting.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Only person putting that out there is hack bob nightengale and even then that’s not really what he said, everybody else is saying he hurt it ramping up for the WBC that he was preparing to play in (which makes the most sense given the timeline)

Preparing to play in the WBC isn’t something an injured person who knows he needs surgery does, for the record. That theory makes zero sense.
Chris Sale literally just went through this with the same team. He wasn’t going to get surgery but every time he ramped up the baseball activities, his elbow got worse. Stop me if you’ve heard this before. And I saw the Nightengale stuff but have seen it elsewhere as well. Some baseball nerd site they mentioned on TSH had his velocity of all second starting basemen last year with a minimum of 100 attempts as being 61st out of 70 and said three years ago he was throwing it on average 82 mph which dropped down to 78 and change two years ago, and fell to 76 mph this year. So while he never had a strong arm, it’s dropped 6 mph once the last 2 seasons.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Chris Sale literally just went through this with the same team. He wasn’t going to get surgery but every time he ramped up the baseball activities, his elbow got worse. Stop me if you’ve heard this before. And I saw the Nightengale stuff but have seen it elsewhere as well. Some baseball nerd site they mentioned on TSH had his velocity of all second starting basemen last year with a minimum of 100 attempts as being 61st out of 70 and said three years ago he was throwing it on average 82 mph which dropped down to 78 and change two years ago, and fell to 76 mph this year. So while he never had a strong arm, it’s dropped 6 mph once the last 2 seasons.
played a couple seasons with it, produced, and was a GG caliber defender…it’s not nearly the same as Sale

MRI turned up something new this time and they got the surgery. I wouldn’t put my eggs in the nightengale basket. Unwise given his track record.

You can dismiss Olney saying multiple teams thought he'd end up needing surgery when he left the Rockies but it's out there.
How exactly would they have access to his medicals?

Reactions: LSCII

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
You can dismiss Olney saying multiple teams thought he'd end up needing surgery when he left the Rockies but it's out there.
Ya, don't let anyone turn this into Story's injury being new like DKH is trying to do. Sale is a good comparison. Of course when you are coming off a period of rest you might feel ok. And then you ramp things up again and all of a sudden the pain is back. Just like everyone predicted TJ for Sale, everybody in baseball was aware of this with Trevor Story.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I also don't understand the question about how a team would have Story's medicals. He was a free agent. If he was testing the market and looking for a big deal of course he's gonna let prospective teams review his medicals. If an athlete refused to let a team review his medicals that would be an immediate red flag that he was trying to hide something. Of course they still do a full physical in person but I can't imagine they don't get medicals before it gets to that point.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just watched mlb network

Story was planning on playing in World Baseball classic and before Christmas started ramping up so could play SS and felt pain

It wasn’t there before

It may have not mattered, but why would he have been ramping up to try and play SS? The guy is a 2B at this point. Hope this doesn't turn him into a first baseman

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
How exactly would they have access to his medicals?
Hey man, I said you can dismiss it. Probably just as likely Olney wants to farm twitter likes from bitter Sox fans. I will say, though, I don't put much stock in what Story or the Sox say because they certainly have agendas.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hey man, I said you can dismiss it. Probably just as likely Olney wants to farm twitter likes from bitter Sox fans. I will say, though, I don't put much stock in what Story or the Sox say because they certainly have agendas.
Seems like Olney has been doing it all off-season tbh.

It was a genuine question, idk how those teams would have access to the medicals to be able to make that claim without signing him and putting him through a physical

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Seems like Olney has been doing it all off-season tbh.

It was a genuine question, idk how those teams would have access to the medicals to be able to make that claim without signing him and putting him through a physical
People talk. Some GMs are probably pretty friendly with each other. Maybe they hear a rumor, look at the arm dropoff, put things together, embellish a story to Olney. Who knows. None of us here, that's for sure.

Reactions: CDJ

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
For what it's worth, Bloom said in his press conference that their medical staff didn't find anything overly concerning in Story's scans, and he never asked for or received additional treatment on his elbow from the Red Sox' medical staff during the season.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
For what it's worth, Bloom said in his press conference that their medical staff didn't find anything overly concerning in Story's scans, and he never asked for or received additional treatment on his elbow from the Red Sox' medical staff during the season.
Without knowing what exactly was found in these scans it doesn't seem to add up if you go by Olney's reporting and that people have been saying for at least a year now that Story doesn't have the arm to play SS anymore.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There are reports that he hurt it mid year and the velocity drop on his throws validate that. He also knew surgery was needed but he and the team opted for rest and hoped it was fine
Kiki Hernandez tweeted Bull Shit

He works out with him - I’ll wait till what 98.5 Sports Hub or Fawx News reports since it must be true
BWAHAHAHAH

• Haha

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Kiki Hernandez tweeted Bull Shit

He works out with him - I’ll wait till what 98.5 Sports Hub or Fawx News reports since it must be true
BWAHAHAHAH
Maybe you can at least admit that this is not some new, out of the blue injury. The bomb finally exploded.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Great line by Harold Reynolds a minute ago on MLB.Network’s Hot Stove, ‘the Bruins have a better chance of beating the Yankees than the Red Sox’

Reactions: 22Brad Park
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad