Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off Season Part II - Source: Trevor Story has internal brace surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Everyone was saying Story would need surgery at some point. This is not news. But the fact that they didn't plan for this? And everything that went along with Xander?

A f***ing avoidable mess this is.

Reactions: EverettMike

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Everyone was saying Story would need surgery at some point. This is not news. But the fact that they didn't plan for this? And everything that went along with Xander?

A f***ing avoidable mess this is.
Didn't they do the same thing with Sale in 2020? Like everyone knew he needed TJ but decided to wait until like June so he missed most of the next year as well

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So how does that shade people's view of the team knowing Story needed Tommy John surgery and still not making an honest offer to Xander? This team sucked last year, and going into next season the roster is a hundred times worse. Ooof. Should be a really crappy summer for baseball here.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Didn't they do the same thing with Sale in 2020? Like everyone knew he needed TJ but decided to wait until like June so he missed most of the next year as well
Story has played 2 full seasons with his elbow having “issues”. He apparently started ramping back up a couple weeks ago and felt pain. Thus, surgery today. If he missed months with a bad elbow last year it would be one thing, but he got plunked on the wrist.

With Sale they were postponing with treatments he couldn’t play through. Which also makes sense, because you shouldn’t get TJ unless it’s 100% that you need it. But definitely more frustrating of a process imo.

This is why I was saying what I was saying about the Mets offer

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just watched mlb network

Story was planning on playing in World Baseball classic and before Christmas started ramping up so could play SS and felt pain

It wasn’t there before

Reactions: CDJ

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So how does that shade people's view of the team knowing Story needed Tommy John surgery and still not making an honest offer to Xander? This team sucked last year, and going into next season the roster is a hundred times worse. Ooof. Should be a really crappy summer for baseball here.
He had no issues till Christmas week and intended to build strength

Started after first of year usually throwing but because of World Baseball started early

Bogearts was gone by then

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Just watched mlb network

Story was planning on playing in World Baseball classic and before Christmas started ramping up so could play SS and felt pain

It wasn’t there before
What "wasn't there before"? Just because he might not have been in pain at a given moment doesn't mean this wasn't already a known issue throughout baseball.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I dont follow the Sox much anymore so this will probably sound dumb as rocks, but.

I think I remember the media last summer talking about how Story was having trouble making accurate throws to 1st base even while playing 2nd? This supposed to heal that issue?

Reactions: Mione134

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I dont follow the Sox much anymore so this will probably sound dumb as rocks, but.

I think I remember the media last summer talking about how Story was having trouble making accurate throws to 1st base even while playing 2nd? This supposed to heal that issue?
Tough to say with any sort of elbow surgery. He didn’t have much of an issue in games last year.

Honestly it wouldn’t shock me if they go out and trade for an OF and play Kikè at SS

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

There was talk of him needing this surgery eventually, hence why he was at 2B and not SS. Everyone assumed it was to be easier on the elbow at 2B than short.

Guess it wasn't. I hope he heals well. But my goodness did Chaim and the FO f*** this up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Tough to say with any sort of elbow surgery. He didn’t have much of an issue in games last year.

Honestly it wouldn’t shock me if they go out and trade for an OF and play Kikè at SS
Not sure who's on the trade market. Looking at free agents, I'd sign Profar, but then you'd be probably leaning on Verdugo in CF at that point and would need to carry Duran on the bench to back up CF when your defense is already poor with Yoshida in left. Alternately, Raimel Tapia is not the worst option as a stopgap, he's passable at all three OF positions and hits okay, not good, but okay.

We'd probably have better luck making a trade.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not sure who's on the trade market. Looking at free agents, I'd sign Profar, but then you'd be probably leaning on Verdugo in CF at that point and would need to carry Duran on the bench to back up CF when your defense is already poor with Yoshida in left. Alternately, Raimel Tapia is not the worst option as a stopgap, he's passable at all three OF positions and hits okay, not good, but okay.

We'd probably have better luck making a trade.
Reynolds is probably the crown jewel of the OF trade market.

I’d try and make a move for him, hope they’d take a package headlined by Rafaela and Mata. Cherington probably has mild familiarity with Mata from being in the org during the amateur scouting process of him (he was gone by the time he made his org debut in 2016). Sign Tony Kemp for cheap to play 2B. Hernandez to SS.

What’s interesting to me is that Bloom didn’t rule out acquiring more than 2 up the middle players. He may be looking to upgrade at catcher- and honestly with how little pop this lineup has without Story then signing El Gary for a year may not be the worst thing. Just turned in his best defensive year in ages! Still K’s a bunch but the power is still present.

Turner has some experience at 2B too but I wonder if he can still play there. I’d imagine not. *edit: just checked, definitely not

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Just watched mlb network

It wasn’t there before
There are reports that he hurt it mid year and the velocity drop on his throws validate that. He also knew surgery was needed but he and the team opted for rest and hoped it was fine

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I don't blame Story for wanting to let his arm heal naturally if it could, if I had been him I'd have done the same thing. Undergoing major surgery is not something you do lightly.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
There are reports that he hurt it mid year and the velocity drop on his throws validate that. He also knew surgery was needed but he and the team opted for rest and hoped it was fine
Only person putting that out there is hack bob nightengale and even then that’s not really what he said, everybody else is saying he hurt it ramping up for the WBC that he was preparing to play in (which makes the most sense given the timeline)

Preparing to play in the WBC isn’t something an injured person who knows he needs surgery does, for the record. That theory makes zero sense.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I don't blame Story for wanting to let his arm heal naturally if it could, if I had been him I'd have done the same thing. Undergoing major surgery is not something you do lightly.
Oh I don't think anyone is blaming Story for that. The Red Sox were dumb enough to give him the contract, fully guaranteed. He's got it made now.

Separately, this is not some out of the blue new injury for Story. Just because he felt fine one day and then had this happen as he ramped up activities is not bad luck. He was basically a ticking time bomb and it's why teams were scared of signing him.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I am not as down on this roster as some (they will win more than 74 games), but I definitely feel like they could be even further along the re-build/re-tooling with some smarter moves.With the way they have been doing, it's almost unthinkable that they will surpass the other AL east teams within the next several years.

What I dislike about Blooms roster building is the fact that he seems to not care about defense and other fundamentals of the game. Fielding a team that is bottom 3/5 with the glove is not a winning formula long term.

Bloom has got to be on the hot seat. As I said, it goes beyond the last place finish of 2022. If I dissect and analyze his moves, there aren't many that I agree with.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Baseball Writers’ Association of America elected 13 players to the Hall of Fame from 2017-20, seven on the first ballot, including the first unanimous choice in history, Mariano Rivera.

Now the spigot is being turned off.

The 2021 election did not produce any Hall of Famers. In 2022, David Ortiz was the lone choice and the only candidate to receive more than 66 percent of the vote.

Do not expect that stingy trend to change for 2023.

With Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and Curt Schilling off the ballot after 10 years of eligibility, Todd Helton, Scott Rolen, and Billy Wagner are the top remaining candidates.

Helton and Rolen have progressed beyond 60 percent, a sign they will eventually gain admission. But vote tracking shows that is unlikely to be this year when the results are announced Jan. 24, although there is a chance.

The same is true for Wagner, who reached 51 percent last year in his fourth season on the ballot.

Carlos Beltrán is the top newcomer, but his role as one of the ringleaders of Houston’s sign-stealing scheme in 2017 is holding down his numbers.

DF194999-5B26-4186-8A4A-E52F02E3AAD1.png

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
"Scoreboard"

If teams pass on a guy cause they think he'll need major elbow surgery sooner than later and you sign him only for him to have that major surgery a year later, you were wrong and they were right. That's how it works.

Now, can you say it was worth the risk because of the talent? Absolutely a fair argument to make... unless you're letting your all star shortstop walk with no replacement. You CAN'T sign Story, let Xander go, and not sign anyone. A criminal level of incompetence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad