Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk X

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I can at least understand the reasoning for JVR, have no idea how Patrick Brown playing on a 4th line anywhere would be a “nightmare” though. If it is then it’s probably gonna be a very scary season for some lol
Even JVR... I know he's not a sexy pick but he was on pace for 40 points from the 3rd line last year (finished with 6 less points than Hall). The year before he had 24 goals.

If he doesn't have it they're not going to stick with him. If he does still have it he could be a nice fit for that line, as a net front presence with Zacha as the playmaker and Pasta the shooter.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Even JVR... I know he's not a sexy pick but he was on pace for 40 points from the 3rd line last year (finished with 6 less points than Hall). The year before he had 24 goals.

If he doesn't have it they're not going to stick with him. If he does still have it he could be a nice fit for that line, as a net front presence with Zacha as the playmaker and Pasta the shooter.
I just wish he didn't have that stupid face of his.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Debrusk is in the only position where the players have power. One year to go. Can decide if he wants to reup, and if he doesn’t or the numbers are way off, he can dictate where he’d re-sign. Players are smart to use that to their advantage, like Tkachuk, DuBois, Debruncat et al have recently. RFA or UFA doesn’t matter much in these situations with younger players.
All of those guys listed made their intentions known in the off season.

So I'd hope Sweeney knows by now. And if he wants to stay, he knows how far off those numbers are or he's already working on a deal.

Like I said, advantage or not for Debrusk, Bruins wait too long, we risk letting him walk because "he wanted too much" or "he wanted to test free agency". Sweeney should know the answers to that sooner than later, and fully act accordingly.

Reactions: TCB and Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
All of those guys listed made their intentions known in the off season.

So I'd hope Sweeney knows by now. And if he wants to stay, he knows how far off those numbers are or he's already working on a deal.

Like I said, advantage or not for Debrusk, Bruins wait too long, we risk letting him walk because "he wanted too much" or "he wanted to test free agency". Sweeney should know the answers to that sooner than later, and fully act accordingly.
Right. When’s the last time that happened for the Bruins though. Krug? Not a typical Sweeney MO to do what you’re describing. But depends on Debrusk too.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Right. When’s the last time that happened for the Bruins though. Krug? Not a typical Sweeney MO to do what you’re describing. But depends on Debrusk too.
Last time that happened was 2015, when the Bruins were at a cross roads when the Bruins sold.

After that it's typically been a buy mentality. Contend, and I think that came to it's pinnacle last season.

"Typical Sweeney" has left us with less than minimal assets to actually move.. so learn to adapt or continue to GM with a handicap. We've had a good run, but last year was our all-in, gotta refresh the game plan. Unless the Bruins plan is to continually going with trading all of our draft picks, I think asset strategy has to adapt or at least recoup. If not Debrusk, then who? Sweeney should know by now where things stand on that front.

Debrusk is a good player, but he's not a Pastrnak calibre player where they can say open checkbook. If he's not in the plans (on his or our decision), like I said I hope keeping him as "our own rental" isn't the game plan, even if that's Sweeney's book so far.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
even if that's Sweeney's book so far.
I’m sorry if I don’t follow - Krug he let expire. Who else has he done that with? I don’t disagree whatsoever that you can’t let JD walk for nothing if he’s going, but I’m not remembering others of value (save Krug) where he’s let that happen. I guess I’m struggling to understand how that’s his book so far.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Don needs to find out one way or another on Jake and make the apporite move
They're much better suited waiting for the deadline to move Debrusk if he doesn't want to stay regardless. Let teams accrue cap space and then flip him to a (hopefully western conference) contender for a 1st+. Way the trade market is right now, can't see them getting fair value for him before the season starts.

Reactions: IveGotToBeMe

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
I’m sorry if I don’t follow - Krug he let expire. Who else has he done that with? I don’t disagree whatsoever that you can’t let JD walk for nothing if he’s going, but I’m not remembering others of value (save Krug) where he’s let that happen. I guess I’m struggling to understand how that’s his book so far.
Not someone of Krug value, but I remember in 2015 people were hoping they'd ship off Loui Eriksson who was expiring the year we missed the playoffs by a point .

Reactions: Gordoff

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
They're much better suited waiting for the deadline to move Debrusk if he doesn't want to stay regardless. Let teams accrue cap space and then flip him to a (hopefully western conference) contender for a 1st+. Way the trade market is right now, can't see them getting fair value for him before the season starts.
Except, if we are still a playoff team (or even potential playoff team) shipping out a scoring winger at the deadline is an impossible defeatist move. You can only do that if you're missing the playoffs.

Having said that, moving DeBrusk now is probably the only big deal they can make (assuming it's necessary for cap space or they have someone big coming back) and is probably good for the health of the team going forward as he MIGHT want a lot and hold them hostage to a demand next contract. Gryz, Ullmark and DeBrusk are the only possible moves that open up sufficient space for anything meaningful and are all players that to some extent can be replaced.

Reactions: HustleB and Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Not someone of Krug value, but I remember in 2015 people were hoping they'd ship off Loui Eriksson who was expiring the year we missed the playoffs by a point .
Right. Under a mandate that he couldn’t sell because they had to try to make the playoffs. Eating Eriksson was a terrible mistake - but that was 8 years ago and it doesn’t seem like a pattern. Especially given it was his first year.

It’s possible that they let Jake play out his last year and hope to resign. But it isn’t likely given recent history.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Lots of players have family and friends and girlfriends in Canada. Not uncommon.

If he wants to be here long term, he should be signed going forward as part of our core.
In fact Most players have family and Friends in Canada . Most of the all time greats that have played for the Bruins are Canadian starting with Orr. At Present our captain and perhaps our next captain (63) are Canadian. This is not the point. The concern is does DeBrusk want to remain in Boston or not going forward he will be a free agent in a year. this should be addressed now and if he wants to return to western Canada trading him is the best option. I personally hope he remains a Bruin . If you are DeBrusk do you not think returning home to play wing for McDavid is not attractive, and being where your family and girl friend are ????. In todays NHL players have more flexibility than they had years ago . (As they should)

Woke up today with the feeling that this is the week that we are informed that Patrice Bergeron is returning for his 20th season as a Boston Bruin.
Hope you are correct. At present I am not so sure

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

He should have also traded chara in 2015 when they missed the playoffs and he was in his late 30s

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Right. Everyone knows they erred by not trading Chara after 2015, or Bergeron and Marchand after 2019. Unforgivable mistakes by Sweeney smh. #FireSweeney

Much more preferable to trade guys in their late 30s and get a return for them than to keep allocating assets to their already expired window.

Especially so for a 38 year old defender coming off a season where the team missed the playoffs

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Much more preferable to trade guys in their late 30s and get a return for them than to keep allocating assets to their already expired window.

Especially so for a 38 year old defender coming off a season where the team missed the playoffs
Yeah he just went in the tank after that. A terrible job keeping him around. Unforgivable really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad