Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk X

Status
Not open for further replies.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Much more preferable to trade guys in their late 30s and get a return for them than to keep allocating assets to their already expired window.

Especially so for a 38 year old defender coming off a season where the team missed the playoffs
I don't want to root for a Bruins team trading away Bruins legends for short-term gains.

Not to mention, trading these guys impacts you negatively in FA. The guys who do come will leverage it against you for NTCs, NMCs, and more cash. It just seems incredibly shortsighted to me.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He should have also traded chara in 2015 when they missed the playoffs and he was in his late 30s

He should have also traded chara in 2015 when they missed the playoffs and he was in his late 30s
That wasn't going to happen. Even a physically diminished Chara helped ease both
Carlo and McAvoy into top 4 and top 2 roles. Chara was still a positionally strong player, PK asset and intimidating figure. There were no LD other than Chara to
break in Carlo and McAvoy with. That was so important and can't be said enough.
The B's after the 2016 season were in a precarious spot but drafting and developing
Carlo and McAvoy while pairing with #33 brought them back into the PO picture defensively.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It's interesting that there really hasn't been any speculation from Boston writers regarding Debrusk given his contract situation. Back in May, I linked an article written by KPD that went over who is staying, DeBrusk was one of those players. I think Sweeney wants to keep DeBrusk.

DeBrusk almost reached the 30G mark in 64 games, most of his production comes on 5on5, and he can play both LW and RW. Sweeney could have moved him a few seasons ago when he wanted out, and he could have moved DeBrusk instead of Hall this offseason if he didn't think he could extend DeBrusk. Things can change between now and when the season starts, but it's hard to see DeBrusk being moved this offseason especially with cap space hindering any major moves.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
It's interesting that there really hasn't been any speculation from Boston writers regarding Debrusk given his contract situation. Back in May, I linked an article written by KPD that went over who is staying, DeBrusk was one of those players. I think Sweeney wants to keep DeBrusk.

DeBrusk almost reached the 30G mark in 64 games, most of his production comes on 5on5, and he can play both LW and RW. Sweeney could have moved him a few seasons ago when he wanted out, and he could have moved DeBrusk instead of Hall this offseason if he didn't think he could extend DeBrusk. Things can change between now and when the season starts, but it's hard to see DeBrusk being moved this offseason especially with cap space hindering any major moves.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston

He had his absolute best season last year.

Advanced stat guys had him as one of the best forwards in the NHL last year.

I see him as a guy who can virtually do it all, and I like his playoff game too.

He’s finally getting past his concussions and post covid, and I think he’ll have an even better year.

Hopefully we can get him to sign long term on a sweetheart deal in the range of 6M.

We are certainly not able to watch him walk, and I doubt we get any substantial return if we trade him. Lock him up, watch him grow, and if we have to trade him wait for a better market to flip him. This cap restrained market is absolutely killing any return we might get on our guys.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

He had shot at 35 goals last year , tough break for him............He seems like his confidence is up there good for him, ............

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Curious why it took so long for them to sign basically league minimum two-way contracts. Maybe the hold up was around what they'd earn if they were in the AHL. Be curious to see what the Minor money is. Right now CF only lists what they're NHL money is.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He had his absolute best season last year.

Advanced stat guys had him as one of the best forwards in the NHL last year.

I see him as a guy who can virtually do it all, and I like his playoff game too.

He’s finally getting past his concussions and post covid, and I think he’ll have an even better year.

Hopefully we can get him to sign long term on a sweetheart deal in the range of 6M.

We are certainly not able to watch him walk, and I doubt we get any substantial return if we trade him. Lock him up, watch him grow, and if we have to trade him wait for a better market to flip him. This cap restrained market is absolutely killing any return we might get on our guys.

Says a lot about advanced stats.

Reactions: GoBs

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Buuuuuh Sweens also frees up the $6 M in 24-25 that will come in pritty, pritty handy
Yes but we lost PLD he was a big fish age 24 stud center for next decade I strongly feel. Perfect replacement for Bergy. Well he ain't bergy and nobody can be him but gives a strong center down the middle. Oh well poitras is gonna be the guy let's go!

Reactions: Kegs

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I’m sorry if I don’t follow - Krug he let expire. Who else has he done that with? I don’t disagree whatsoever that you can’t let JD walk for nothing if he’s going, but I’m not remembering others of value (save Krug) where he’s let that happen. I guess I’m struggling to understand how that’s his book so far.
In terms of what I meant about Sweeney's book, not as much of letting Krug walk, but he's very rarely traded a roster player (aside from cap dumps) during the season. And while that's because we've been a contender for at least 4-5 of those seasons, strategies need to be adapted to recoup eventually.

Sweeney was named GM on May 20th, 2015.

EXCLUDING picks for rentals, and roster cap dumps in the deal here are roster players moved and what we currently have on the roster, even with the minimal trade tree.

8 full in-season roster player trades, not including pure cap dumps, there has been the following NHL Bruins roster players used in moves.

Frank Vatrano -> FLA 3rd 2018 (Lauko)
Danton Heinen -> Nick Ritchie (not qualified and walked
Bjork+ -> Lazar (walked UFA), Hall (B or C prospects depending on how you see them)
Vaakanainen+++ -> Lindholm (re-signed, member of the team)
Studnicka -> AHL goalie + prospect (Myrenberg, book is still out)
Ryan Spooner (with Belesky's cap hit, Ryan Lindgren and 2018 1st) -> Rick Nash (walked/retired UFA)
Ryan Donato (tweener at the time) -> Charlie Coyle (re-signed)

6 non-cap dump roster players moved in 8 seasons. None of the players moved playing in the top of the roster.

9 full Off season roster players moved:
Soderberg -> COL 6th 2015 (Oskar Steen bottom 6 potential player in Providence)
Dougie Hamilton -> CAL 1st 2015 (Senyshyn traded for a rental and 7th) CAL 2nd 2015 (Forsbakka-Karlsson not in North America)), WSH 2nd 2015 (Jeremy Lauzon claimed on expansion)
Lucic -> Martin Jones (traded for Kuraly, who walked, and Trent Frederic arbitration pending), Colin Miller (claimed on expansion), 2015 SJ 1st (Zboril, a current 7th D)
Reilly Smith (with Mark Savards cap hit) -> Jimmy Hayes (bought out, and RIP)
Adam McQuaid -> Steve Kampfer, 2 draft picks (1 used by Boston, Jake Schmaltz, tbd)
Vladar -> BOS 3rd 2022 (used to trade FOR Mike Reilly, re-signed then bought out)
Haula (signed UFA) -> Zacha (re-signed as RFA)
Taylor Hall/Nick Foligno -> Rights to Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula (a combined 106 NHL games each player with 3 seasons pro experience tbd to call them roster players)

So 9 full off-seasons and 8 full seasons, completely from an asset management point of view, using roster players in trades, we have Lindholm,, Zacha, and Coyle on the current roster from ANY of the roster players we moved out.

Not saying every trade is going to be a win, but a lot of the "trade trees" have died with players walking or being bought out.

Sweeney has had success here, but I do think his trade strategy or building needs to be improved.

tl;dr: Sweeney's book, from what I see is minimal roster player movement in during the season.
And regarding Debrusk, if they don't know where it's going, I simply don't know if Sweeney can make a positive trade for him in-season.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Last time that happened was 2015, when the Bruins were at a cross roads when the Bruins sold.

After that it's typically been a buy mentality. Contend, and I think that came to it's pinnacle last season.

"Typical Sweeney" has left us with less than minimal assets to actually move.. so learn to adapt or continue to GM with a handicap. We've had a good run, but last year was our all-in, gotta refresh the game plan. Unless the Bruins plan is to continually going with trading all of our draft picks, I think asset strategy has to adapt or at least recoup. If not Debrusk, then who? Sweeney should know by now where things stand on that front.

Debrusk is a good player, but he's not a Pastrnak calibre player where they can say open checkbook. If he's not in the plans (on his or our decision), like I said I hope keeping him as "our own rental" isn't the game plan, even if that's Sweeney's book so far.

Lock him up (JDB) for 5 years/6 per year --- yes, he could get more on the open market -- but if he really wants to be here, that's pretty fair, IMO.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don't want to root for a Bruins team trading away Bruins legends for short-term gains.

Not to mention, trading these guys impacts you negatively in FA. The guys who do come will leverage it against you for NTCs, NMCs, and more cash. It just seems incredibly shortsighted to me.

Chara walked anyways… and no it doesn’t impact you negatively as an organization. Only 120 players who have played 10+ years in the nhl have done so with one team. It’s extremely rare and it’s a business. Player movement happens.

Also not short term gains. Keeping those players is short term.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Chara walked anyways… and no it doesn’t impact you negatively as an organization. Only 120 players who have played 10+ years in the nhl have done so with one team. It’s extremely rare and it’s a business. Player movement happens.

Also not short term gains. Keeping those players is short term.
Probably coming up on time to trade Pasta, Carlo, Debrusk, and Lindholm. Wouldn't want them to get too old. No negative consequences to doing that - Sweeney should never let an old player stay on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad