Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
We all get it. The season meant nothing because they didn't win Stanley.

I don't ever want to wake up some day feeling like that. That's such an insane way to look at entertainment. I'll sit back with a couple of frosties probably once a week,
cue up B's YouTube highlights from the season while having my ear buds in listening to some great R & R.

Do you only listen to Grammy winners or Tony winners for music or watch only Oscar winners for movies? Come on man that's absolutely a terrible way to enjoy your life.
Disagree. I don't care about Grammy or Tony winners, or Oscar winners, it's determined by a vote, means little in entertainment. Jethro Tull won a Metal Grammy over Metallica.

If you are not invested in winning, why watch? Winning is Championships, not regular season success. Not getting to the finals to lose, not losing in the first round, not having the best regular season ever to lose in game 7 to an 8 seed. Stanley Cups are the measure of success.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
@Fenway will often post the Bob Lobel videos in the media thread where he is accompanied by a couple of old timer media members.

In one of the ones he recently posted, they were discussing the decline in interest for the Red Sox and how this market is very much a football one now.

They mentioned how fans have already moved on from the Bruins’ and Celtics’ playoff exits.

I think it’s fair to say, at least around here, no, we have not moved on.

We’re still pissed.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Soft is not going to the slot or driving the net. Soft is when a teammate is taken out by a dirty or borderline hit, there is a player close by who suddenly becomes fascinated with how his skates are tied and changes right away. Soft is not clearing the slot as a D. Soft is not responding when your goalie gets run over and you just watch. Soft is not responding to clean hits by hitting back. Soft is not gong into the corners and winning puck battles. Soft is playing on the perimeter and not being wiling to take hits to get to the better scoring areas. Soft is giving up pucks because you have been hit too often. Soft is being punched in the face and crying to a ref instead of doing something yourself. Soft is letting in weak goals. Soft is not responding when challenged. Soft is blowing leads and series leads. Soft is this defense.

Personification of soft was Jacob Forsbecka-Karlsson. He ran home because he couldn't take the physicality at an NHL level, even by today's standards. Matt Grzelcyk's playoff performance the last 4 years is soft.
hockey inspiration.jpg

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Chicago beat writer in The Athletic noting the belief that Chicago should have gotten more for Hall' contract.

Blackhawks accomplished what they set out to, adding a few top-six forwards and a few veterans to the dressing room. Plus, they had to get above the cap floor. While adding Taylor Hall made sense to support Connor Bedard, it did seem like they could have gotten the Bruins to pay a bit more for taking on an unwanted contract. — Scott Powers

At the time I was bummed that the Bruins didn’t squeeze a 2nd out of it… but after seeing what happened with Duchene et al…Sweeney did well.

@Fenway will often post the Bob Lobel videos in the media thread where he is accompanied by a couple of old timer media members.

In one of the ones he recently posted, they were discussing the decline in interest for the Red Sox and how this market is very much a football one now.

They mentioned how fans have already moved on from the Bruins’ and Celtics’ playoff exits.

We’re still pissed.

I wonder how long the Pats can be mediocre for before this all shifts again.

Reactions: GoBs and Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
At the time I was bummed that the Bruins didn’t squeeze a 2nd out of it… but after seeing what happened with Duchene et al…Sweeney did well.

I wonder how long the Pats can be mediocre for before this all shifts again.
How long will BB live? How about Kraft? BB is resting on his laurels IMO and Kraft can't fire him for several reasons.
But that's life, at least they won a "little bit."

IMO they're ready for a fresh approach, but what do I know, football is my 3rd sport.
We can clone Tom Brady or draft his kid, who's probably about as good at Football as Bobby Orr's son Darren is at hockey.

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The Bruins need physicality throughout their line up for post season hockey. Not a guy on the 4th line who hits other 4th liners in a 7 game playoff series, that shit is so counter productive at this stage.

Marchand - Bergeron - DeBrusk
Zacha/Bertuzzi - Krejci - Pastrnak

According to Hockeyreference, not one player over 200 pounds in their top 6.

That was your top 6 for the most part in the post season last year. Is it skilled? Damn right it's skilled. Is there size and physicality in there? Absolutely not. You need a mix of it through your lineup. There's not one player in that top 6 capable of wearing on other teams top guys.

That's why I cringe when people want to continue the method of small, non physical forwards rounding out your top 6 and even top 9 forward groups. Even a guy who's supposed to be "physical" like Trent Frederic isn't really physical at all. He's often floating around during the play and gives a gloved jab or two in a scrum after the whistle.

As for the defense. Again, not really anyone there that you fear going into the corners with. McAvoy is physical for the most part but often times needs to be pushed there. He's a reactionary hitter. It almost feels like something has to be brewing in the game for him to up his physicality to another level. Lindholm isn't physical, but doesn't need to be. Carlo isn't physical. Grzelcyk is afraid of his own shadow in April. Forbort is kind of physical? But yeah, no one there who's going to really make you think twice.

Again, broken record, I know. It's just frustrating to me. You can go grab 2-3 physical guys and stuff them on your 4th line but what does that accomplish at the end of the day when matched up against other 4th liners?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The Bruins need physicality throughout their line up for post season hockey. Not a guy on the 4th line who hits other 4th liners in a 7 game playoff series, that shit is so counter productive at this stage.

That was your top 6 for the most part in the post season last year. Is it skilled? Damn right it's skilled. Is there size and physicality in there? Absolutely not. You need a mix of it through your lineup. There's not one player in that top 6 capable of wearing on other teams top guys.

That's why I cringe when people want to continue the method of small, non physical forwards rounding out your top 6 and even top 9 forward groups. Even a guy who's supposed to be "physical" like Trent Frederic isn't really physical at all. He's often floating around during the play and gives a gloved jab or two in a scrum after the whistle.

Agree they need some more hammers in the top 9 to keep the other teams D heads on a swivel in a 7 game series. Some of it is attitude, though, not just raw size. The team upfront as a whole isn't one that finishes their checks and that really started when Lucic left and really took hold once Chara left. If you have a few guys that really enjoy being the hammer it can be infectious. Look at Florida or Boston in the past.

As for the defense. Again, not really anyone there that you fear going into the corners with. McAvoy is physical for the most part but often times needs to be pushed there. He's a reactionary hitter. It almost feels like something has to be brewing in the game for him to up his physicality to another level. Lindholm isn't physical, but doesn't need to be. Carlo isn't physical. Grzelcyk is afraid of his own shadow in April. Forbort is kind of physical? But yeah, no one there who's going to really make you think twice.

Again, broken record, I know. It's just frustrating to me. You can go grab 2-3 physical guys and stuff them on your 4th line but what does that accomplish at the end of the day when matched up against other 4th liners?

I disagree that McAvoy is reactionary, he is just tactical. Almost every big hit from him I can remember has been in the playoffs. He isn't 6'4" out there so him throwing his body around comes with risk. I think Forbort and Carlo do a great job using their size to protect the crease in the regular season. In the playoffs, the opposition is more motivated to go through you instead of around you. I don't think this means you have to fire every D that doesn't have that element in their game into the sun, but at least getting one guy on the 2nd or 3rd pairing that makes you put your head on a swivel would do wonders... and maybe be infectious.

Reactions: hrdpuk and Gordoff

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts

I hear what you are saying and I do agree Bruins need to get more physical to an extent but like Zacha, Debrusk, Pasta and Bergeron are all within like 5 pounds of being 200. It's seriously splitting hairs. It's not like they are playing with a bunch of Debrincats up there....and we all know Marchand plays way above his size.

I mean Tampa had back to back cups without any guys over 200 pounds in their top six...the only two guys that heavy were Maroon and Goodrow...so I don't think that is the reason why they lost.

Defensively though that is another story...we keep on seeing time and time again championship teams with big physical defenseman that make it difficult for guys to get inside for high danger scoring opportunities. Vegas defense was big, Lightning were big, Blues were big.

I don't see how you run it back with another defensive unit with Gryz in the top four...would prefer to see a swap for a guy like Zadorov

Reactions: hrdpuk and NDiesel

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

We’re still pissed.

I buy it Mike.
we often forget here at dear old HF we are at the koo koo end of fandom l
Thats why we’re here day after day.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I think having guys like Lucic on the 4th still does benefit, because it can be infectious when you see guys out there hammering guys....how many times did the Merlot line's energy and physicality rub off on the other guys in the lineup?

That being said it was nice having Bertuzzi's size in the top 6, too bad they haven't found someone to replace it.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't really think that's true. Just a convenient excuse.

Bruins never trailed in the series until it was over.

Injuries played a really big part. Coaching decisions backfired. Bad luck abounding (McAvoy's tip in). Missing any number of breakaway chances killed them.

Never felt like they were being intimidated or knocked off their game.
I didn't literally mean "smacked", at least not completely, it also means.. how did they handle the pressure when they other team fought back in intensity as opposed to teams in the regular season?

Forecheck pressure: Didn't handle it well- lots of giveaways that led directly to goals
Big Game/Moment pressure- Not well- Gave up goals in key situations in crunch time

And the "coaching decisions" thing to me cuts both ways: The reason they had a coach that wasn't as good an in-game tactical guy as the one they had (and who ultimately won a Cup) is because they were uncomfortable with being coached hard or called out.

As far luck: You can say that about every single team that loses, and even ones that win.

How much of Lindholm, Ullmark and Bergeron not being very good is a result of injury is unknown, but I definitely cut them some slack there.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH

We’re still pissed.
I’m still pissed.

I canceled my cable to save money over the summer. No more NESN for me and I’m probably not bringing it back during hockey season. I’ll catch the odd game at a bar here and there and watch the highlights.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think having guys like Lucic on the 4th still does benefit, because it can be infectious when you see guys out there hammering guys....how many times did the Merlot line's energy and physicality rub off on the other guys in the lineup?

That being said it was nice having Bertuzzi's size in the top 6, too bad they haven't found someone to replace it.
Bertuzzi isn't even big, though. He's the same size as the other guys in the top 6, he just actually went to the net and wasn't afraid to muck it up, which I appreciated.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I don't ever want to wake up some day feeling like that. That's such an insane way to look at entertainment. I'll sit back with a couple of frosties probably once a week,
cue up B's YouTube highlights from the season while having my ear buds in listening to some great R & R.

Do you only listen to Grammy winners or Tony winners for music or watch only Oscar winners for movies? Come on man that's absolutely a terrible way to enjoy your life.
I don't necessarily agree with your overall point, but I don't like your analogy.

The whole point of sports is that it's a competition. It is the ultimate in objectivieness: at the end of a long season you've either won or didn't.

Art on the other hand isn't, it's an individual or group expression and any "competition" is inherently artificial and subjective.

Reactions: Gordoff and hrdpuk

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think anyone who’s playing professional hockey is pretty tough

Someone has to win someone has to lose

It 99% comes down to skill in the game and luck

It’s why the Red Sox can beat the Yankees 17-1 on Friday night and lose Saturday & Sunday

Why the 1974 Bruins beat Chicago 8-0 game 1 and lose game 2 in overtime 4-3

Carolina got swept by Florida. They lost all games in overtime or by a goal. They have Svechnikov I think they beat Florida

You ever flunk a test ? Your parents tell you ‘man you choked’….‘son you are one soft kid’

This HF, Twitter, talk radio infatuation with soft and choke is ridiculous

I watched the 6 minute recap of the Patriots vs. Falcons Superbowl and watching the Edelman catch --- snagging the ball when it was about an inch from the ground solidified in my mind that a good 80% of sports is just dumb luck.

That ball glances away from Edelman instead of to him --- maybe Atlanta wins.

Matt Ryan's knee gets in the way of his late fumble and causes the ball to bounce to one of his OL instead of the Pats DL ---- Atlanta likely wins.

Game in game out -- unless you're participating in arm wrestling or probably boxing --- you're at the whim of hundreds, if not thousands of similar bounces or happenstances.

In 2021 I was at game 4 when that absolute piece of trash umpire Laz Diaz totally blew a call in the 9th inning, when Eovaldi had Castro struck out looking with the game tied 2-2.

Diaz blew the call, the Astros went on to score 7 that inning and tie the series. If that idiot made the right call, maybe the Sox win and take a 3-1 series lead.

I think that about 5% of NHL players can be considered to be "soft".

I think about 15% of NHL players can be considered extremely "tough".

The rest are probably pretty close to the same.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I mean you should, given you just positioned him as a potential centre option do

I don't necessarily agree with your overall point, but I don't like your analogy.

The whole point of sports is that it's a competition. It is the ultimate in objectivieness: at the end of a long season you've either won or didn't.

Art on the other hand isn't, it's an individual or group expression and any "competition" is inherently artificial and subjective.
I understand your point just like you understand I am referring to commercial art which pretty clearly is impacted by someone making a decision that something is "going to sell" as entertainment.

So whether its direct competion in sports or contracts bestowed in music and movies, each have an element of competition, just different means to an end, the enjoyment of entertainment.

I understand being disappointed and getting somethings off your chest for a few days after.I don't see any value in anyone's life bitching about being eliminated from the playoffs over two months later. Pretty useless way to live your life and its time to find something else that gives you more enjoyment.

I mean you should, given you just positioned him as a potential centre option do

I understand your point just like you understand I am referring to commercial art which pretty clearly is impacted by someone making a decision that something is "going to sell" as entertainment.

So whether its direct competion in sports or contracts bestowed in music and movies, each have an element of competition, just different means to an end, the enjoyment of entertainment.

I understand being disappointed and getting somethings off your chest for a few days after.I don't see any value in anyone's life bitching about being eliminated from the playoffs over two months later. Pretty useless way to live your life and its time to find something else that gives you more enjoyment.

Now, I just finished mowing my lawn and I am going to put on Pastrnak's video of his 60 goal campaign and listen to The Beatles "Baby Your A Rich Man" watch it.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

If the regular season is meaningless why spend 9 months watching? Why punch the couch pillows when we lose a game in October to Toronto? Why get excited about Bergeron’s 6th Selke?

If the regular season is meaningless why do people care about it so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad