Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good now everyone can be honest about him again
I stand by him BUT ‘as you know Lou’ I like you would take Geekie over him who is much younger and I right now I think has third line skills where GH is a 4th liner

I think the second Sprong & Geekie were surprisingly (to me) not qualified the fantasy folks went after Sprong but us went after Geekie - Sweeney did as well

Reactions: LouJersey

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Hanifin is a legit 26y top 2/3
Yup absolutely

Bruins probsbly can’t get him now

The hope if they want him is he doesn’t sign an extension

He’s from here and bought a home last year in town he grew up in I’m pretty sure and folks live in Needham I think

A
Hanifin- McAvoy
Lindholm- Carlo
Lohrei

You are set for the forseable future

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Love that Looch is back. Was hoping that we'd get a dman with some size and snarl.
I was hoping for one of Schenn Gudas or Shattenkirk if they can’t move Forbort

Boom - good veteran third pair who’s seen it all

Shattenkirk plsyed 2nd pair and against a lot of good forwards

Here he should be 12-15 minutes against bottom 6

I think his agent is same as some of Bruins

I like this a lot

Many in panic mode here but with our elite goaltending we can stick with anybody. Were making the playoffs relax . With ease.
They are a 7th or 8th seed 90-99 point team

Got a good shot of getting in playoffs and anything can happen

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Even with the lineup as it is, plus the RFA's that are going to be re-signed, this is going to be a great team that will cruise to the playoffs.

We have effectively the exact same goaltending and defense that we had until March 2023, where we set a record pace for points. Clifton for Shattenkirk is a non-event for me.

Add to that, we still have our two far and away top leading scorers from last season.

Preserving just those components is enough to retain the essence of a competitive team. Look at Tampa Bay from a few years ago, which lost players off its roster every season but stayed at the NHL elite because they always retained their top goaltender, top d and top 2-3 forwards.

If Bergeron comes back, I barely see a meaningful difference between next year's team and the regular season team from 2022-2023.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I've been thinking more about Bertuzzi, and I have to give credit to Sweeney for holding the line. I'd love to have the player back, but at more like the 5x5 type contract that Barbashev received. Bertuzzi has huge problems staying healthy, he's 28 and only has one season where he broke the 50 point barrier.

Even looking at last season, Bertuzzi scored 30 points (just 8 goals) in 50 regular season games. While he was great against Florida, one playoff series does not make a player.

Bertuzzi has the look of Charlie Coyle. A mid-career player that tantalizes with a phenomenal playoff in his acquisition year, but then will return to normal. Paying $6k for a winger that you can't reliably expect to hit 20 goals is iffy, no matter what else they bring to the table.

This might have been a good hard pass by Sweeney.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I've been thinking more about Bertuzzi, and I have to give credit to Sweeney for holding the line. I'd love to have the player back, but at more like the 5x5 type contract that Barbashev received. Bertuzzi has huge problems staying healthy, he's 28 and only has one season where he broke the 50 point barrier.

Even looking at last season, Bertuzzi scored 30 points (just 8 goals) in 50 regular season games. While he was great against Florida, one playoff series does not make a player.

Bertuzzi has the look of Charlie Coyle. A mid-career player that tantalizes with a phenomenal playoff in his acquisition year, but then will return to normal. Paying $6k for a winger that you can't reliably expect to hit 20 goals is iffy, no matter what else they bring to the table.

without a doubt all of the above and he certainly comes with a buyer Beware tag on him, imo. Sweeney needs a Center and a rock solid top 4 d-man before he needs another winger on top of it.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022

ive been thinking (hoping) that Sweeney has been seeing that 5-6mil wing slot as either jakes or Bert’s and maybe there’s been communication that Jake might be willing to go longer and cheaper since there’s history (and Bruce isn’t here)

Reactions: bbfan419

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
ive been thinking (hoping) that Sweeney has been seeing that 5-6mil wing slot as either jakes or Bert’s and maybe there’s been communication that Jake might be willing to go longer and cheaper since there’s history (and Bruce isn’t here)
They' should have money for Jake and his next contract as they'll have like 16/17 mil coming off their cap next year and the Cap will rise. They still need to sign Swayman/Frederic and Lauko there goes your 5/6 mil.

Reactions: Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
On who Though ?
Most teams lately have been locking up their future UFA or signing them and dealing them because they don't want to lose them for nothing. Right now for the top guys you have Matthews, Nylander, Aho, Scheifele, T.Wilson, Lindholm and Hanifin. My guess is all those guys will be signed to an extension by next years Free Agency.

Just because it’s the first year the cap is exploding up, I would wager at least one of those names tests free agency.

Reactions: Gordoff

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Just because it’s the first year the cap is exploding up, I would wager at least one of those names tests free agency.
Maybe, but the team their on also knows the Cap will start to go up, and their not going to want to let them walk for nothing and they also have the option of giving them that 8th year.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
They need to address DeBrusk. This is the season to do so. He’s going to want big bucks if he does well. Do they pay him? Year left, either extend him or trade him or lose him for nothing. Is he a ufa after this up coming season?

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
Even with the lineup as it is, plus the RFA's that are going to be re-signed, this is going to be a great team that will cruise to the playoffs.

We have effectively the exact same goaltending and defense that we had until March 2023, where we set a record pace for points. Clifton for Shattenkirk is a non-event for me.

Add to that, we still have our two far and away top leading scorers from last season.

Preserving just those components is enough to retain the essence of a competitive team. Look at Tampa Bay from a few years ago, which lost players off its roster every season but stayed at the NHL elite because they always retained their top goaltender, top d and top 2-3 forwards.

If Bergeron comes back, I barely see a meaningful difference between next year's team and the regular season team from 2022-2023.
I don’t even know where to begin with this post…. You say cruise to the playoffs? With the centers we have….. that’s a huge leap. Love the optimism tho. But his team may be the slowest in the entire league. Also Tampa players are proven playoff warriors… Mac and co are not. Also vas is the best Goalkeeper in the league who can steal playoff series. This bruins team imo isn’t cruising to the playoffs IMO. Just get in and anything can happen. I’d rather be the underdogs than a favorite on paper. Losing bergy and DK will make it a lot easier for teams to shutdown pasta and matchup against. The bruins have shown that they have no heart or will to win when it matters most. I see next year as a big down step but plenty of cap and the right star players to build around the following season. JVR in any top six is going to be gross.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Its just the lay of the land now with teams and their FA. Their either signing them and keeping them or moving them out in a deal. Just look at Tkachuk, that's why he got moved out. The days of the top FA hitting the open Market are dwindling, but yes cap space is a luxury to have without question and Hopefully Sweeney will take advantage of it, but Im betting if he's getting a Lindholm or a Nylander he'll have to give up assets and not be able to land them through Free-Agency. Which is fine and dandy but he has to have the assets, not just the cap space.

I’m wary of making bold claims about the nature of free agency changing based on behavior in this era of frozen cap.

Maybe, but the team their on also knows the Cap will start to go up, and their not going to want to let them walk for nothing and they also have the option of giving them that 8th year.

Right but like with Pasta or Gaudreau negotiations often go past the TDL…and when they do leave like Gaudreau or Tavares it’s not about the money.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I’m wary of making bold claims about the nature of free agency changing based on behavior in this era of frozen cap.
I really don't think the frozen cap has much to do with it. Its more that teams want a return on their assets and they don't want to see them walk for free. Your talking game changers here. Teams are going to do what they can to re-sign them and if they cant their going to try like hell to move them.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I feel like Sweeney had the right idea...bargain bin to fill in the holes. I think drawing the line with Bertuzzi was the right move. I am just not fan of the player personnel he targeted. Lucic is fine...veteran to add toughness to the 4th line. Loves Boston. He will be great for the locker room. Geekie is by far and away the most exciting player. Looking forward to seeing him play.

JVR, Shattenkirk and Brown are all meh. I guess they can all be waived or buried with 1m caphits. I would of just preferred more of these Geekie moves. How about Comtois? Christian Fischer just got a shade over 1 million...we need to get younger and faster not older and slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad