Lucic Beecher JVR
Richard Brown Steen

Grz McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Forbort Shattenkirk
Zboril Mitchell

Ullmak
Swayman

- Geekie is no Bertuzzi. But similar to Bertuzzi, parks his body in front of the net/around the net. Good at faceoffs. Responsible 2 way game. Good size at 6'2

- JVR is not as durable as before. So limited 4th line/PP is ideal
This entire post gave me a headache

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
As of today

Marchand-XXX-DeBrusk
JVR-Zacha-Pastrnak
XXX-Coyle-XXX
Lucic-Geekie-XXX

Gryz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk
More like…

Marchand-Coyle-JDB
JVR-Zacha-Pastrnak
Frederic-Geekie-Rookie
Lucic-Brown-Rookie

Gryz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Forbort-Shattenkirk

JVR is the Bertuzzi replacement. A left shot net front presence, trying to prove he can still play before the cap goes up. He had 24 goals in ‘22… We’ll see if he can keep the spot or if he’ll get bumped by a younger player, but I think they expect him to keep it.

Geekie is a 3rd liner who can play C or W. Sweeney said today either Frederic or Geekie could play C and that line gives them L/R faceoff options. It also means whatever rookie plays the best in camp, be it a LW (Merkulov) or RW (McLaughlin/Lysell), they can jump onto that line to fill the last spot and they can shift the other two.

Brown is a really active hitter and FO ace. I looked him up on Youtube and the first video was him snowing Bobrovsky hard and then wrestling with Gudas. He’s competing with Beecher to be the new 4C and regardless of the rookie that lands at RW (Lauko) it should be a pretty physical line.

That might be all there is, but fwiw, none of their moves today took them out of the trade or UFA market…

If Bergeron signs, Coyle goes to 3C, Freddy to 3LW, Geekie to 3RW and a rookie gets sent down.

They could still move Ullmark for a good asset to someone left without a chair once the goalie carousel stops. Then use that asset+ on a #1C.

What they did today was the bare minimum required to fill out the roster so that if none of those things come to fruition, they still have a solid team, and are set up well in terms of cap space for next summer.

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
I took a look around the league updated rosters. The Bruins don’t look so bad in comparison tbh. If* Bergeron returns, there’s no reason they can’t win the division and be a top seed. I’d also be looking for McAvoy to take a big leap forward, it’s time he starts to dominate like he’s capable of.

Coaching, physicality, bit of luck health wise, and they can compete with any team.
That’s incredibly optimistic that’s all I will say. I don’t think we have any chance to win the division….. I agree Mac needs to take a huge step this year but he’s been a playoff no show. This roster is gutted we all knew it was going to happen. I just don’t see it with Zacha and CC as the top two centers. That’s beyond brutal. But cap space the following year hopefully make it all a lot better.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
To be clear:

I never once asked for "high end"

Never had any misconceptions about how much money they had to spend

There were (are) interesting pieces in the bargain bin. Youth with potential upside. Players who can really skate. Guys who will muck it up.

There was a direction Sweeney COULD have gone where this team would have been exciting and interesting to watch. And we got Kevin Shattenkirk and JVR. And whoever the f*** Patrick Brown is. Even Geekie who is in the same genre at least of what I was hoping for... The knock on him is his skating.

They went for what they felt was safe. Players who the only violent thing about them is the rate of their decline. No upside. No direction.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Agreed here. I don't hate the signings at all, just confused as to why we traded away a former Hart trophy winner for absolutely nothing.

I didn't want bertuzzi signed but I did not want Hall gone at all.

Was looking forward to a

Hall Zacha Pasta line.
We traded Hall to get under the cap.

They could have moved 3 LD to clear the same money, but then we’d have 3D in our top6 making $1m and a $2.5m buyout penalty next summer.

They chose the hole in our top6 over that option.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
No, every move they made today was pretty clearly about setting the team up for maximum cap flexibility next summer so they can make big moves then. That means no spending premium assets this offseason. It might not be the fun thing, but it is the smart thing.
On who Though ?
Most teams lately have been locking up their future UFA or signing them and dealing them because they don't want to lose them for nothing. Right now for the top guys you have Matthews, Nylander, Aho, Scheifele, T.Wilson, Lindholm and Hanifin. My guess is all those guys will be signed to an extension by next years Free Agency.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

- Even when Lucic was playing for the Flames, Los Angeles Kings or Edmonton Oilers, he still held the Bruins close to his heart.

“I guess I missed being a Bruin more and more as years went on,” Lucic said. “And it’s really funny; I always caught myself watching Bruins hockey games.

“It’s just one of those things. I caught myself cheering for the Red Sox. Cheering for the Celtics. Cheering for the Patriots. … And I still follow all those teams. I’m just so happy to be back. I feel like I’m coming home.”

Lucic said he couldn’t wait for the home opener at TD Garden on October 11.

“To be able to wear the Spoked-B in front of my children just adds to it all,” Lucic said. “To get to do this in front of the fans again — it’s going to mean so much. I can’t wait for what is it, October 11? Until that first game happens in Boston.”

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
That’s incredibly optimistic that’s all I will say. I don’t think we have any chance to win the division….. I agree Mac needs to take a huge step this year but he’s been a playoff no show. This roster is gutted we all knew it was going to happen. I just don’t see it with Zacha and CC as the top two centers. That’s beyond brutal. But cap space the following year hopefully make it all a lot better.
“With Bergeron”

Unless Sweeney trades Ullmark. This it it imo
Geekie as your 1C? Realistic

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
“With Bergeron”
This quote from Sweeney has me leaning on Bergy not being back.

" Chris Kelly had pointed out that if a couple of our centers don’t come back and Charlie Coyle is our only right shot center, then maybe we should address that"

And they did with Geekie and Brown.

Reactions: Gordoff

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
This quote from Sweeney has me leaning on Bergy not being back.

" Chris Kelly had pointed out that if a couple of our centers don’t come back and Charlie Coyle is our only right shot center, then maybe we should address that"

And they did with Geekie and Brown.
Who knows. Similar to last summer we just have to wait for facts

Reactions: FONZIE and TCB

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
No, every move they made today was pretty clearly about setting the team up for maximum cap flexibility next summer so they can make big moves then. That means no spending premium assets this offseason. It might not be the fun thing, but it is the smart thing.

Expecting "big moves" next season is optimistic.

Likewise, seeing fans slot JVR in the top six this season. A 31 year old 4th line center with 1.5 NHL seasons played as well.

We'll be depending on Pastrnak scoring 50 and Lucic with 200 PIMs for our entertainment this season.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
We traded Hall to get under the cap.

They could have moved 3 LD to clear the same money, but then we’d have 3D in our top6 making $1m and a $2.5m buyout penalty next summer.

They chose the hole in our top6 over that option.
I understand that but there had to be better options.

We literally gave away a top 6 player for nothing.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
On who Though ?
Most teams lately have been locking up their future UFA or signing them and dealing them because they don't want to lose them for nothing. Right now for the top guys you have Matthews, Nylander, Aho, Scheifele, T.Wilson, Lindholm and Hanifin. My guess is all those guys will be signed to an extension by next years Free Agency.
I agree that the UFA lists always look sexy a year out, only to dry up by the time July 1 rolls around. But you never know...

Who would have predicted Lindholm would be available now? Or PLD, or Vilardi, or Hall, or Ullmark, or Hanifin…

All we know is, the teams with cap space have all the leverage.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Geekie as your 1C? Realistic
who else do they have?

You take your pick. Zacha, Coyle, Geekie.

All are not true top 6 C.

Zacha could play C... but Geekie and Coyle are better at the dot

If you take out Geekie. Who plays C or LW with Zacha/Pasta?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00