Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
With Lohrei, Mast, Brunet coming up on D, we will be able to fully splurge next off season and focus money solely on a top 6 center . If Matthews or Aho don't resign with their team Sweeney better be involved

My fear is that those guys don’t make it (and they likely won’t) and neither do Scheiffle or Lindholm and the Bruins have a big bag of cash and are looking at names like a Chandler Stephenson or Jack Roslovic or Ryan Hartman.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tomorrow’s Globe:

Swayman, Frederic should get done​

Jeremy Swayman and Trent Frederic, the Bruins’ high-profile restricted free agents, filed for salary arbitration prior to Wednesday’s 5 p.m. deadline, which means both soon should have contracts in hand to return to Boston.

All arbitration cases must be completed by Aug. 4, and the arbitrator’s decision/award must be delivered within 48 hours of the end of the hearing. Odds remain high, based on history, that Swayman and Frederic will negotiate new pacts and thus avoid the third-party meat grinder.

Longtime Bruins fans might recall that the Bruins in years past twice walked away from arbitration decisions, rendering the players unrestricted free agents.

The first walkaway, in the summer of 1999, was with Ukrainian forward Dmitri Khristich, 30, who promptly signed with the Maple Leafs. Next in 2003 was ex-Mount St. Charles blue-liner Bryan Berard, age 26. Cut free, he was scooped up by the Blackhawks.

It’s extremely doubtful that Frederic or Swayman would be awarded salaries high enough to reach the threshold for the Bruins to be able to consider a buyout. Per CBA rules, as noted in capfriendly.com, players who elect to go the arbitration route only can be cut free if the award exceeds $4.538 million.

The guess here: Frederic, 25, after totaling a career-best 17-14–31, could see around $2.25 million. We mused in this space soon after the playoffs that Swayman, who logged 47 wins over the last two years of his entry-level deal, could demand upward of $4 million, a payout in line with Jake Oettinger (Stars), Spencer Knight (Panthers), and Thatcher Demko (Canucks).
Bruins GM Don Sweeney, when meeting with the media prior to the recent draft in Nashville, sounded as if he expected Swayman’s bump would be less than recently speculated. He also said that salary arbitration probably “was not the path” either side would prefer.

“In all due respect to everyone doing their own research,” noted Sweeney, “you do need to be careful as to what your [comparable salary] is versus what the rules state a comp is.”

Assistant GM Evan Gold drives the bus when calculating the arbitration process for the Bruins. The Players Association highly influences, if not outright dictates, the numbers each player puts on the table.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Also from the Globe:

Keep an eye on Winnipeg, where the Jets won’t allow pivot Mark Scheifele to exit next summer as a UFA. They’ll look for an asset package similar to what they recently received from the Kings when unloading Pierre-Luc Dubois ahead of the final year on his deal. The Jets received a trio of forwards they’ll plug right into their roster — Gabe Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, and Rasmus Kupari. Scheifele, with a career scoring average of 0.9 points per game, could slot in with the Bruins at No. 1 or 2 center (right shot) for the next 4-5 years. Assets akin to what the Kings yielded: Jake DeBrusk, Pavel Zacha, and perhaps Fabian Lysell. It would hurt. High-profile deals often contain pain.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Also from the Globe:

Keep an eye on Winnipeg, where the Jets won’t allow pivot Mark Scheifele to exit next summer as a UFA. They’ll look for an asset package similar to what they recently received from the Kings when unloading Pierre-Luc Dubois ahead of the final year on his deal. The Jets received a trio of forwards they’ll plug right into their roster — Gabe Vilardi, Alex Iafallo, and Rasmus Kupari. Scheifele, with a career scoring average of 0.9 points per game, could slot in with the Bruins at No. 1 or 2 center (right shot) for the next 4-5 years. Assets akin to what the Kings yielded: Jake DeBrusk, Pavel Zacha, and perhaps Fabian Lysell. It would hurt. High-profile deals often contain pain.
Come on now. Really?

Pass!!

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
My fear is that those guys don’t make it (and they likely won’t) and neither do Scheiffle or Lindholm and the Bruins have a big bag of cash and are looking at names like a Chandler Stephenson or Jack Roslovic or Ryan Hartman.
Legit fear. I share it too. My hope is that if there's nobody left in free agency they can leverage that cap space into a favorable trade, find next summer's PLD or Eichel.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Also from the Globe:

...Assets akin to what the Kings yielded: Jake DeBrusk, Pavel Zacha, and perhaps Fabian Lysell. It would hurt. High-profile deals often contain pain.
200w.gif

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Agreed that they can’t bank on signing a big ticket UFA to save them, if one falls in their lap then great but it can’t be the only plan.

This would never actually happened, but personally id like to see them offer sheet Elias Petersson at some stupid number for one year just to get him in the org. Like literally 15mil if that’s what it takes, we can afford it next summer.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Yea just le t poitras play and if you need a stop gap sign Paul stastny right now.
Paul Stastny is a fourth line player at this point in his career. I have no idea why you want this guy other than name recognition.

That Scheifele proposal isn't totally nuts imo. Maybe a bit rich considering he's what, five years older than PLD? But it's in the ballpark. I still wouldn't do it. Robbing Peter to pay Paul and I'm not convinced Scheifele moves the needle for a team. If its gonna a trade like that, I would prefer Lindholm. Bit younger, better fit for the way this team plays.

Edit: thought I'd a dd I personally wouldn't trade Zacha. Makes no sense to do so.

Last edited:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Villardi > DeBrusk - slight edge to Villardi due to age, ability to play center, and contract status.
Zacha >> Iafallo
Lysell > Kupari

Dubois is 5 years younger and was a RFA not UFA. DeBrusk+ for Scheifele is fair as a base but not including Zacha and Lysell.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Villardi > DeBrusk - slight edge to Villardi due to age, ability to play center, and contract status.
Zacha >> Iafallo
Lysell > Kupari

Dubois is 5 years younger and was a RFA not UFA. DeBrusk+ for Scheifele is fair as a base but not including Zacha and Lysell.

Eh I think DeBrusk is a much better player than Villardi

Either way if we make that trade it’s the worst we have done since Seguin

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Paul Stastny is a fourth line player at this point in his career. I have no idea why you want this guy other than name recognition.

That Scheifele proposal isn't totally nuts imo. Maybe a bit rich considering he's what, five years younger than PLD? But it's in the ballpark. I still wouldn't do it. Robbing Peter to pay Paul and I'm not convinced Scheifele moves the needle for a team. If its gonna a trade like that, I would prefer Lindholm. Bit younger, better fit for the way this team plays.

Edit: thought I'd add I personally wouldn't trade Zacha. Makes no sense to do so.
Trading lysell for a 30 year old is where I lost it and didnt go further into the proposal. Stastny I say is because he probably the only decent center left which will cost you crumbs in terms of aav and no assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad