GDT: 2023 NHL ENTRY DRAFT June 28 and 29. First round and then rounds 2-7. (ESPN, NHL network, SN, TVA sports 4pm and 8am Pacific Time)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Wheeler's top 15 undrafted players.

#1 is Vancouver Giants d-man Mazden Leslie, who he says was the only guy on his board that went undrafted.

I do agree with Wheeler's assessment that his offensive skills lagged this year relative to potential expectations even though he scored 50 points and logged top-pairing minutes for a playoff-contending team. He came into the WHL in the weird bubble season where he got to play all like 20 games or whatever as a 15-year-old because of the covid setup and he looked like the second coming of Byram. And then the last couple of years even though he's put up points he's just seemed... fine.

but I think he could be a sort of Ganon Laroque type where in a year or two he emerges and looks like a far more favorable acquisition than he is at this time. I also think the Sharks are a good org for him to pick because while they've got lots of young potential d-men in the system, there are going to be few guaranteed spots in a couple of years once Karlsson is gone and Vlasic's deal looks more attractive to buy out. It could be open season for anyone with some potential to stake a claim to a spot in the lineup.

Other guys on the list are over-age Swedish LH d-man Oskar Asplund, Czech WHL import C Gabriel Sztruc (I kinda liked what I saw from him with the Rockets this season), and a whole lot of short dudes.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I just had a thought. With Anaheim taking Carlsson instead of Fantilli, did Columbus change their mind regarding Smith?
It seemed according to all the talk, that Columbus wanted Smith. Maybe because they liked him over Carlsson. With Fantilli being shockingly available, they jumped at that.
Indications are that this is correct--and if Anaheim had gone with Fantilli (which I'm glad they didn't, though we'll see if I regret that thought), we'd have ended up with Carlsson.

Like all of us, I had my brief Fantill fantasy that led me to pacing on the porch in a way that disturbed my wife. But once that was extinguished, I wasn't unhappy that we ended up with Smith instead of Carlsson. Maybe it's just the idea that Carlsson could end up (at his peak) as Hertl 2.0 (and we all know the second gen can't be as pure as the original) and Smith instead promises something new and unpredictable and exciting, though with more risk of reaching that ceiling. But risks can sometimes be fun! (Take that as you wish coming from someone who doesn't usually like risks like riding motorcycles or swimming with sharks or skydiving or so on...)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Indications are that this is correct--and if Anaheim had gone with Fantilli (which I'm glad they didn't, though we'll see if I regret that thought), we'd have ended up with Carlsson.

Like all of us, I had my brief Fantill fantasy that led me to pacing on the porch in a way that disturbed my wife. But once that was extinguished, I wasn't unhappy that we ended up with Smith instead of Carlsson. Maybe it's just the idea that Carlsson could end up (at his peak) as Hertl 2.0 (and we all know the second gen can't be as pure as the original) and Smith instead promises something new and unpredictable and exciting, though with more risk of reaching that ceiling. But risks can sometimes be fun! (Take that as you wish coming from someone who doesn't usually like risks like riding motorcycles or swimming with sharks or skydiving or so on...)

"You don't understand! We could get this one kid! Or we could maybe get the other kid who we all thought we couldn't get! No, I'm not crazy because of course this makes perfect sense! "

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
"You don't understand! We could get this one kid! Or we could maybe get the other kid who we all thought we couldn't get! No, I'm not crazy because of course this makes perfect sense! "
This is extremely accurate. Except she also had headphones in so she could barely hear what I was saying on top of it making no sense to her. Alas, she was making dinner, so it's not like I can actually complain.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I feel the same. I wanted Carlsson if he was available but I was simultaneously really bored by the option. I keep reading Smith has “bring you out of your seat skills” and I want that for our team.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

I thought Carlsson was moreso expected to be a Hertl 2.0, but at his peak, could be someone closer to like Backstrom?

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Also it seems like the Hurricanes and Kings have been lauded by the eliteprospects.com/Twitter scouts for the last 5 or 6 years for their picks and what has that actually gotten them?

Seth Jarvis is awesome but every team in the league would have taken him at 13th overall that year. After him, Carolina's most successful pick since 2018 has been Jack Drury who IIRC was one of their few picks that was actually panned at the time by the "draft for puck skills and offensive production above all else" crowd. It's too soon to tell on their more recent drafts but far and away their most promising finds from those are Nikishin and Morrow, two huge defensemen.

LA is an even better example since they have had much higher picks on average. Year after year they were hailed as the best prospect pool in the league by all the online scouts. The only guys who have remotely panned out are Vilardi, an 11th overall pick who looked like a bust until this past season, and Kaliyev. Blake has done a great job monetizing some of their other prospects like Grans, Faber and Kupari before they lost all value but ultimately it looks like the only picks during his tenure that have any chance of contributing to the next contending Kings team are Clarke, Byfield (early returns not great) and maybe Kaliyev whose defensive game is a nightmare.

It is always good to remember most of these players (and im talking about all drafted players) will not become impact NHL players

Reactions: Hodge

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

Interesting report out of Philadelphia on Michkov selection

Thankfully, @Redpath summed it up:

32 Thoughts

- Friedman calls back to how last week it was thought Michkov had preferred teams in mind. He says we now know that was 100% true. Michkov indicated he wanted to go to a market where the team mattered, the team was popular, and they had a chance to win.

- Friedman says he knows fans haven't been happy with ownership, but Michkov saw it as a stable ownership that spends money and is dedicated to winning.

- Flyers wondered "Is this too good to be true?" after the Voorhees meeting, so the Flyers scheduled a 2nd meeting in Nashville. People who attended the Nashville meeting, but not the Voorhees meeting, were convinced that Michkov was serious about Philadelphia.

- Friedman thinks the Flyers tried to trade up.

- Friedman invokes the "The Soviets are leaving the ice" story, and said he heard from people "Is Michkov aware of [that story?]" So Friedman asked someone who knows Michkov if he is aware, but they weren't sure if Michkov is aware and plans to check with him.

- Thinks the Flyers were surprised that nothing scared him. Not Philly, not Torts, not the rebuild.

- Philly has been disappointed with how much has leaked, but the Flyers happy to keep this under wraps and are excited about the fan response

Ouch, the truth hurts, but the Sharks definitely did not tick the boxes.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
so basically all the rumors were true which is fine

The BC pipeline will be good for the Sharks lol

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think Grier’s words about “interviewing all the Russians he was interested in” was a backhanded comment towards Michkov not being interested in the Sharks.

So we’re all in agreement that Grier made the right pick?
It doesnt seem like he had much of a choice so yeah I will give him it. Michkov wouldve been too risky from what is coming out now

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Man Grier's job has been soooo easy even a caveman could do it!!!

Michkov doesnt like us----consensus pick is Smith then.

FIRE MIKE GRIER!! :sarcasm:

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I think Grier’s words about “interviewing all the Russians he was interested in” was a backhanded comment towards Michkov not being interested in the Sharks.

So we’re all in agreement that Grier made the right pick?
Na some people here are delusional and think Michkov is so good it's worth drafting him even if he would refuse to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad