GDT: 2023 NHL ENTRY DRAFT June 28 and 29. First round and then rounds 2-7. (ESPN, NHL network, SN, TVA sports 4pm and 8am Pacific Time)

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I’ll be honest Pronman isn’t very good. There’s been a few of his takes that make me wonder if we saw the same guy. Now maybe we didn’t or maybe I’m wrong for sure. But like Rimashevskiy definitely is a bit of a floater.
Is that the consensus on Pronman? I thought among the Athletic guys, Wheeler was a little more out there with certain evaluations. I'd say at least with guys I've observed or come to known down the road (and then looked back on the draft/prospect analysis for), Pronman seems pretty reasonable to me.

Anyway, I figure everyone doing prospect analysis is going to be wrong a decent amount of the time, so it just makes me happy to see anyone with some credibility giving props to one of our lower-round picks. At the very least it shows that the Sharks' own talent evaluators aren't living out in their own little bizarre world--which has certainly seemed to be the case at times in the past.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't know how to feel about this draft. If one of them turns into the next Joe Pavelski, I will be happy. If we get like 3 or 4 players who are NHL caliber players, I think that could be a great draft. I would like to see the transition from the old to the young happen sooner rather than later (Even though I know they are hindered by contracts).
i think they're generally good gambles, like i can see an effective player if they develop in specific ways, but i don't think they extracted the best value per position.

Reactions: Gecklund

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
To be honest, it's just awesome to see Eklund get company at the top of the prospect pool.
Smith and Musty go straight to that category, you could make argument for Bystedt and Mukhmadullin too. Loved it, it's coming together and since we don't have too many elite prospects, these guys will have bigger chance to get a better look with the big club when the time is nigh.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
To be honest, it's just awesome to see Eklund get company at the top of the prospect pool.
Smith and Musty go straight to that category, you could make argument for Bystedt and Mukhmadullin too. Loved it, it's coming together and since we don't have too many elite prospects, these guys will have bigger chance to get a better look with the big club when the time is nigh.
All they need now is a generational talent and then a goalie then probably #1 defenseman then finally a cup 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Sharkz4Fun

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Absolutely loved our 1st round. The fact that we potentially got two high end top 6 players is fantastic. I can’t wait to see Smith play and Musty sounds legit.

I just read a bunch about Halttunen and he sounds fascinating, actually. I like that all 3 players are really skilled guys. It’s none of that “big character guy” thing. They might be big, but there seems to be an emphasis on skill.

Cagnoni is also super fun. I love his ceiling - I hope he can reach it because the kid’s really slick.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Don't have a huge issue with going big as Eklund, Guschin, Bordeleau, and to a lesser degree Smith are small/average. Perhaps only Eklund and Smith make it of course.

Now that there is a bit more balance, I wonder if it'll even out. Celebrini and Eiserman are also 5'11/6'0. The d-men are mostly bigger.

Let's move Karlsson for a 1st+good d/g prospect, pick up a few 2nds for cap dumps, move Barby at the deadline for a first, hope NJ makes the conference semis, and keep our 2nd/3rd to have another 8 picks in the top 70 next year.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Don't have a huge issue with going big as Eklund, Guschin, Bordeleau, and to a lesser degree Smith are small/average. Perhaps only Eklund and Smith make it of course.

Now that there is a bit more balance, I wonder if it'll even out. Celebrini and Eiserman are also 5'11/6'0. The d-men are mostly bigger.

Let's move Karlsson for a 1st+good d/g prospect, pick up a few 2nds for cap dumps, move Barby at the deadline for a first, hope NJ makes the conference semis, and keep our 2nd/3rd to have another 8 picks in the top 70 next year.

Theyre also both 17 so maybe not their final frames. Coyotes are only drafting guys who are 6'5 haha

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
At least one pundit I follow confirmed sharks interviewed him. Obviously there was something (other than not being available for 3 years and political situation) that didn't give brass a d

Is that the consensus on Pronman? I thought among the Athletic guys, Wheeler was a little more out there with certain evaluations. I'd say at least with guys I've observed or come to known down the road (and then looked back on the draft/prospect analysis for), Pronman seems pretty reasonable to me.

Anyway, I figure everyone doing prospect analysis is going to be wrong a decent amount of the time, so it just makes me happy to see anyone with some credibility giving props to one of our lower-round picks. At the very least it shows that the Sharks' own talent evaluators aren't living out in their own little bizarre world--which has certainly seemed to be the case at times in the past.

Pronman definitely is plugged into the scouting community -moreso than Wheeler IMHO

As far as evaluations go someone would have to do some actually research on his older articles

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Well my picks for the draft at the time of drafting:

4. Matvei Michkov
26. Quentin Musty
36. Lukas Dragicevic
71: Jayden Perron
123: Luca Cagnoni
130: Matthew Mania
132: Tomas Suchanek
196: Connor Levis
203: Matthew Soto

Wanted a defensive stalwart defenseman but couldn't find the right swing.
Thanks for the reporting!! who was grier talking to on the floor? surprised we haven't really seen any trades

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
Something interesting I came across was a Habs affiliated site that compiled a players best pre-draft scout ranking when comparing like a dozen, maybe more scouting sites and services. I think that is an interesting way to assess value in that what is the best possible pre-draft ranking of a player versus where we got them. What I found was as follows (their highest published ranked slot versus where actually drafted by the Sharks):

Will Smith - Best = 4th, Sharks picked 4th
Q. Musty - Best = 11th, Sharks picked 26th (really good value)
K. Halttunen - Best = 23rd, Sharks picked 36th (good value)
B. Svoboda - Best = 79th, Sharks picked 71st (not a great value pick)
L. Cagnoni - Best = 17th, Sharks picked 123rd (Holy value Batman!)

Anyway, not a guarantee of success but clearly someone values these selections at a high level. Thought that was interesting, though admittedly it’s cherry picking stats.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Overall..Super solid draft by MG. Love the Smith, Musty, Hultanen and Cagnoni picks. I could see Svoboda being a bottom six, depth and character guy who helps us win in the playoffs doing a lot of dirty work. If nothing else, like Goodrow but a bigger frame. I’m very satisfied with this draft to say the least. We added scorers with our first 3 picks. Eklund is such a wizard and sees the opportunities so well, I can’t help but feel like he could now be a 70-80 pt guy dishing to the likes of Lund, Musty, Hultanen. I know it’s one draft, but we became a much better organization in 2 days.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I’m guessing the Blackwood trade was the reason why they did not
Negative. The goalie we draft would be 8-9 years younger than Blackwood and Blackwood would be at least 30 by the time said goalie made any sort of NHL appearance. Probably more of a deal where it was a crap goalie class and we were not just going to fill pick slots on guys we didn't really want.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Negative. The goalie we draft would be 8-9 years younger than Blackwood and Blackwood would be at least 30 by the time said goalie made any sort of NHL appearance. Probably more of a deal where it was a crap goalie class and we were not just going to fill pick slots on guys we didn't really want.
I beg to differ have you seen the goalie pipeline in San Jose :DD

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2