GDT: 2023 NHL ENTRY DRAFT June 28 and 29. First round and then rounds 2-7. (ESPN, NHL network, SN, TVA sports 4pm and 8am Pacific Time)

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Friendly reminder that in 2017, the Norris pick was widely panned on these boards, while people went nuts for the Chmelevski and Chekhovich selections
One of the most poorly handled players I've seen in recent memory. He was never given a fair chance here and his stats throughout his entire career should've led to one. He isn't a top 6 player, but I guarantee if they had convinced him to come back over he'd be 3C or 4C opening night. The Dougs botched that one bad.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Friendly reminder that in 2017, the Norris pick was widely panned on these boards, while people went nuts for the Chmelevski and Chekhovich selections
Also it seems like the Hurricanes and Kings have been lauded by the eliteprospects.com/Twitter scouts for the last 5 or 6 years for their picks and what has that actually gotten them?

Seth Jarvis is awesome but every team in the league would have taken him at 13th overall that year. After him, Carolina's most successful pick since 2018 has been Jack Drury who IIRC was one of their few picks that was actually panned at the time by the "draft for puck skills and offensive production above all else" crowd. It's too soon to tell on their more recent drafts but far and away their most promising finds from those are Nikishin and Morrow, two huge defensemen.

LA is an even better example since they have had much higher picks on average. Year after year they were hailed as the best prospect pool in the league by all the online scouts. The only guys who have remotely panned out are Vilardi, an 11th overall pick who looked like a bust until this past season, and Kaliyev. Blake has done a great job monetizing some of their other prospects like Grans, Faber and Kupari before they lost all value but ultimately it looks like the only picks during his tenure that have any chance of contributing to the next contending Kings team are Clarke, Byfield (early returns not great) and maybe Kaliyev whose defensive game is a nightmare.

Reactions: Friday

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I mean I think despite their lack of NHL success Chmelevski and Chekhovich did way better than can be expected from 6th and 7th round picks.

Reactions: Sandisfan

ISharkted

Apr 11, 2009
I don't know how much anyone really cares but Hockey YouTuber Graviteh had Sharks as the 3rd best winner of the draft, so that's really cool!
Thanks for sharing that, always nice to have some validation. It felt like GMMG and team did a stellar job. We potentially came away with (3) future top 6 - where we were sorely lacking and a possibly top 6 Defenseman.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I mean I think despite their lack of NHL success Chmelevski and Chekhovich did way better than can be expected from 6th and 7th round picks.
I still think Chmelevski can play in the NHL, but I guess he'd rather play first line in Russia.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Looking at the picks made, even the 'easy' picks aside I think these teams had quite a good draft:
* CBJ (great value throughout)
* CHI (yeah, they did have a ton of picks, but it seems like they also got good value with each of them)
* CGY (pretty good value on all their picks)
* SJ (Svoboda pick aside, great value with Musty #26 and Cagnoni #123. #4 as expected. #36 also a good pick.)
* WSH (Cristall #40 & Allen #136 were great value)
* PHI (wouldn't have gone Bonk at #22, but Michkov at #7 and good bets with their day 2 picks)
* COL (great value with their 2 firsts)

Reactions: themelkman

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
For sure, but I think on a decent team with management that can be objective, they never get NHL time.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I'm satisfied with this draft but I haven't seen more than a highlight reel of any of the picks sans Smith.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Am i wrong to think that this is the most USHL heavy draft for the Sharks in draft history?

4 of 9 picks

2017 was 3 of 6 (the first 3 picks, Norris, Ferraro, and Reedy). So less on raw amount but more in proportion. And like Orr notes above, Jake McGrew was listed as being drafted from a AAA U16 program, but that's seemingly only because he had missed all of his D0 year in the WHL. So he was a major junior dev track guy and not a pre-college one.

Other than that I think the closest you'd come would be if you broadened the net to include all NCAA development track leagues (so not just USHL but also Canadian Jr A, US High School, and US Jr B leagues) and then you might make the case for something like 2004 where 7/10 players were college track guys (though none from the USHL. But you had Torrey Mitchell, Steve Zalewski, and Brian Mahoney-Wilson playing USHS, while Jason Churchill, Mike Vernace, Dave MacDonald, Derek MacIntyre, and Christian Jensen all in various US or Canadian Jr A/B leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad