GDT: 2023 NHL ENTRY DRAFT June 28 and 29. First round and then rounds 2-7. (ESPN, NHL network, SN, TVA sports 4pm and 8am Pacific Time)

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I think Grier’s words about “interviewing all the Russians he was interested in” was a backhanded comment towards Michkov not being interested in the Sharks.

So we’re all in agreement that Grier made the right pick?

Smith was the right pick.

The fact Michkov's now coming over after one year of his contract, not 3, sounds like a well orchestrated plan.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
I just don't believe Michkov only wanted to go to the Flyers. I think scouts around the league didn't view him has highly as we do, and the Flyers were just the team that wanted him the most.

Reactions: Sandisfan

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
How is it entitled to want to exert some degree of influence over where you live and work for 7+ years?
Play by the rules or play in some other league. He could always stay in Russia. I'm sure he could find work in the army if he decided he didn't want to play hockey any more.

I kinda wish the Sharks would have drafted him just to piss him off. Hard sell w/ 4OA, but the kid is saying he's too good to go through the same process as everyone else. Not a fan of that. It'd be one thing if he didn't want to sign with the team that chose him because he'd be buried on the depth chart. It's another thing entirely to force the draft.

Also, WTF does this kid know about living in Philly. Or really anywhere in the states for that matter.

EDIT: oops, or Canada! Sorry Canada, didn't mean to exclude you.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Play by the rules or play in some other league. He could always stay in Russia. I'm sure he could find work in the army if he decided he didn't want to play hockey any more.

I kinda wish the Sharks would have drafted him just to piss him off. Hard sell w/ 4OA, but the kid is saying he's too good to go through the same process as everyone else. Not a fan of that. It'd be one thing if he didn't want to sign with the team that chose him because he'd be buried on the depth chart. It's another thing entirely to force the draft.

Also, WTF does this kid know about living in Philly. Or really anywhere in the states for that matter.

EDIT: oops, or Canada! Sorry Canada, didn't mean to exclude you.
Isn't what Michkov did objectively better for the teams involved than the Adam Fox move of getting drafted and then refusing to sign with anyone other than the Rangers?

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Isn't what Michkov did objectively better for the teams involved than the Adam Fox move of getting drafted and then refusing to sign with anyone other than the Rangers?
I dunno. You're asking me which one is more lame... They both are indicative of prima donna attitudes. I don't think those types attitudes are so great for any locker room.I'm not into picking the lesser of two evils (Fox and Michkov) in this case because I think they both set awful precedents going forward. Whereas, "you drafted me, I'm buried on the depth chart please trade me somewhere that will give me more ice time and opportunity" is a bit more acceptable in my book.

I also think I'm Lindros-triggered with the "whole draftee wants to play for X team/not play for X team" thing whenever it comes up. I still have weird feelings about Thrun, but I think that was more of a wanted more opportunity type thing. I could see not wanting to live in Anaheim tho. I don't think he had any draft day demands, not sure on that.

Beyond indicators of attitude issues. I don't like these types of precedents being set because they could become the aspirations of future generations. I'm gonna play so good I'll be able to play for whatever team I want just like Matvei Michkov... great. Way to go Matvei, that's a pretty big f*** you to "non-hockey-market" teams also. If the upcoming bluechippers decide this whole situation slaps and yeet their interview appointments with teams they don't think are based then the cap would be worse at being a tool to help disburse talent throughout the league and generate parity. High end bluechip prospects wouldn't really be drafted... They choose what team they want to play for and that team just uses their draft pick on them. That team really doesn't even have to trade up to get them because the other teams are well aware of the player's disinterest in their club/city because no interview. Or, they flatly said, "don't draft me" in their interview. If you're a non-market team I guess you're lucky if they decide to take a huge raise to go live in your shit city and make your shit team a little bit better as UFA... LOL I know it'll never be all bluechip talent, but the fact that some will think they can do it will lead to more of it overall. Doesn't put the Sharks in a great situation because of taxes and cost of living.

This is all just my opinion, obviously. I just don't think it's a good look because of the impact it may have on future drafts.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How is it entitled to want to exert some degree of influence over where you live and work for 7+ years?
No one is forcing these guys to play in the NHL. The “price” you pay for getting to play a children’s game for millions of dollars is to give up your choice in where to live for seven years. That seems like a perfectly reasonable trade off to me. If Winnipeg or Calgary or whatever snowy hellscape called me up and offered me a one year one-way contract at league minimum, I would pack up and move to that snowy hellscape before the ink was dry. If you aren’t willing to play for the team who drafted you for the first few years of your career, you probably should have picked a different career.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
No one is forcing these guys to play in the NHL. The “price” you pay for getting to play a children’s game for millions of dollars is to give up your choice in where to live for seven years. That seems like a perfectly reasonable trade off to me. If Winnipeg or Calgary or whatever snowy hellscape called me up and offered me a one year one-way contract at league minimum, I would pack up and move to that snowy hellscape before the ink was dry. If you aren’t willing to play for the team who drafted you for the first few years of your career, you probably should have picked a different career.
They get to play a children's game for millions of dollars because customers are willing to pay millions of dollars to watch them play, full stop. There's no good reason for there to be a draft beyond collusion between team owners to artificially control player salaries. European football works fine without a draft. Even from a team perspective you should want volunteers not conscripts.

Reactions: OffSydes

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
They get to play a children's game for millions of dollars because customers are willing to pay millions of dollars to watch them play, full stop. There's no good reason for there to be a draft beyond collusion between team owners to artificially control player salaries. European football works fine without a draft. Even from a team perspective you should want volunteers not conscripts.
So everyone just comes into the league as a free agent and no more cap then?

Reactions: karltonian

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Sounds good to me. It would make for a vastly more entertaining league.

But since that will probably never happen, in the meantime I'm fine with players trying to exercise some degree of control over their own futures.

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

But since that will probably never happen, in the meantime I'm fine with players trying to exercise some degree of control over their own futures.
The draft is to help disburse talent in the name of diversity. You can dress it up in capitalist finery and put a pig's lipstick on it, sure. But, I think a free agent entry type situation for the NHL would collapse it to about 8 competitive teams and the rest are just hoping for a miracle every year. Sounds lame for those other cities.

As you stated people are willing to pay money for it. People are willing to see more parity. Need to feel like you have a chance to win, have a chance to rebuild if your team isn't winning, have a chance to build a team through the draft to win it all. Sure, your team has to rebuild now and then for a few years and then you're back in the mix while other teams have their decline and start their own rebuilds.

Free agency instead of draft is going to just end a lot of franchises and make NHL even less of a speck on the pro sports map that it already is in terms of money and coverage. Teams that don't attract attention from players would just dry up.

Without a structured, fair-as-possible disbursal of talent across the league there's no point in watching. Unless you like hearing HAWKS WIN!!! on repeat. I'd prefer the continued attempt at parity in the league than making it a popularity contest for 18-23 year old newly rich kids. I feel like they should adjust the cap to cover tax brackets tho. It's not like the current system doesn't have ways it could be tweaked for more parity potentially. It's all a socioeconomical science experiment.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
And then the Major favored markets get all the best players and when lesser teams like the Sharks when they do develop good players lose them soon after to the Major teams. The Sharks would be a permanent backwater and most of the expanded markets would lose their teams as the league would contract. I believe except for L.A. and Lost Wages there would not be teams in the western half of the US. Nashville, Columbus, the Florida teams(maybe one probably not) I think the league would contract to about 16 to 20 teams. As a Hockey fan how would you feel having, if you kept up viewership and interest, rooting for LA or LV or an eastern team, wouldn't you love to tune into the Boston guy and have him be the guy broadcasting your NEW team? :mad::mad:

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

So you want Toronto and New York to win every single Cup? Yeah, that sounds like a fun, fun league.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
On the one hand, of course people should have agency. But on the other hand, if all draftees got to choose where they went like michkov apparently did, the league, as it stands, wouldn't work. The [big market team x] needs [less desirable team y] to at least be a bit competitive to play meaningful competition. Else, there would be two NHL teams, the rangers and the leafs.

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
And then the Major favored markets get all the best players and when lesser teams like the Sharks when they do develop good players lose them soon after to the Major teams. The Sharks would be a permanent backwater and most of the expanded markets would lose their teams as the league would contract. I believe except for L.A. and Lost Wages there would not be teams in the western half of the US. Nashville, Columbus, the Florida teams(maybe one probably not) I think the league would contract to about 16 to 20 teams. As a Hockey fan how would you feel having, if you kept up viewership and interest, rooting for LA or LV or an eastern team, wouldn't you love to tune into the Boston guy and have him be the guy broadcasting your NEW team? :mad::mad:
I concur. Pretty much said the same. If there's no parity there's no hope for non-hockey-market teams. Unless they all decide Tahoe is the place to be, maybe... I mean they're male aged 18-23 with more money than they'd know what to do with walking into the league making millions right out of the gate...

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The draft is to help disburse talent in the name of diversity. You can dress it up in capitalist finery and put a pig's lipstick on it, sure. But, I think a free agent entry type situation for the NHL would collapse it to about 8 competitive teams and the rest are just hoping for a miracle every year. Sounds lame for those other cities.

As you stated people are willing to pay money for it. People are willing to see more parity. Need to feel like you have a chance to win, have a chance to rebuild if your team isn't winning, have a chance to build a team through the draft to win it all. Sure, your team has to rebuild now and then for a few years and then you're back in the mix while other teams have their decline and start their own rebuilds.

Free agency instead of draft is going to just end a lot of franchises and make NHL even less of a speck on the pro sports map that it already is in terms of money and coverage. Teams that don't attract attention from players would just dry up.

Without a structured, fair-as-possible disbursal of talent across the league there's no point in watching. Unless you like hearing HAWKS WIN!!! on repeat. I'd prefer the continued attempt at parity in the league than making it a popularity contest for 18-23 year old newly rich kids. I feel like they should adjust the cap to cover tax brackets tho. It's not like the current system doesn't have ways it could be tweaked for more parity potentially. It's all a socioeconomical science experiment.
It's not like every college UFA signs with the Rangers or Leafs. There would still be a disbursement of talent because young players entering the league want minutes and opportunity. Auston Matthews isn't going to sign with the Edmonton Oilers to be their 3C if they already have McDavid and Draisaitl, for example.

Yeah it would be a bummer if the Sharks folded as a result although I don't see any reason they shouldn't be able to compete financially with other big market teams. Long term though I think the game would be a lot more entertaining for future generations of hockey fans. The hard cap has ruined the sport in so many ways and aside from Carolina and Anaheim it's been exclusively big market teams winning the Cup anyway.

So you want Toronto and New York to win every single Cup? Yeah, that sounds like a fun, fun league.
Is that so different from Chicago, LA, Boston and Pittsburgh passing the Cup back and forth? Aside from the first two cap seasons in the direct aftermath of the richest teams being forced to dismantle their rosters, small market teams have not had any success.

landshark

Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
It's not like every college UFA signs with the Rangers or Leafs. There would still be a disbursement of talent because young players entering the league want minutes and opportunity. Auston Matthews isn't going to sign with the Edmonton Oilers to be their 3C if they already have McDavid and Draisaitl, for example.

Yeah it would be a bummer if the Sharks folded as a result although I don't see any reason they shouldn't be able to compete financially with other big market teams. Long term though I think the game would be a lot more entertaining for future generations of hockey fans. The hard cap has ruined the sport in so many ways and aside from Carolina and Anaheim it's been exclusively big market teams winning the Cup anyway.
You just gotta hope a clique of rich kids decides they want to play in your rink. Got it. Sounds super fun as a fan and I'd never buy a ticket, probably cancel my cable tv. No merch bought, they'd be dead to me. I guess I'm trying to retire and could start saving cash that way...

Sounds super logical now, man. Thanks for explaining it. I didn't realize what complete tools the owners are and f*** this league all together!! You're totally right. EAT THE RICH!!!! f*** YOU STUPID ASS OWNERS FOR PAYING MONEY TO FORM A LEAGUE FOR KIDS TO PLAY A GAME SO I COULD WATCH AND CARE WHILE THEY GET PAID FOR SHOWING UP!!!! HAHA NO PRECIOUS MONEY FOR YOU!!!! f*** YOU PLAYERS TOO!!! HAHA :sarcasm: how's that? I don't do anything half assed. That's me being an anti-SHARK/NHL fan instead.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Is that so different from Chicago, LA, Boston and Pittsburgh passing the Cup back and forth? Aside from the first two cap seasons in the direct aftermath of the richest teams being forced to dismantle their rosters, small market teams have not had any success.
Chicago and Pittsburgh won Cups because they won the draft lottery, full stop. They would have zero Cups if they hadn’t won the draft lottery.

You make of that what you want.

Reactions: karltonian

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Why not just have a cap, and let teams pay for players as they see fit? If a team wants to offer Bedard 10 million/8 years that's their right; they will live with the consequences. And then if an organization like Arizona is so dysfunctional that nobody wants to play there for "market rate", well that's them living with their incompetence.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Why not just have a cap, and let teams pay for players as they see fit? If a team wants to offer Bedard 10 million/8 years that's their right; they will live with the consequences. And then if an organization like Arizona is so dysfunctional that nobody wants to play there for "market rate", well that's them living with their incompetence.
Players union wouldn't want that - artificially limiting the available pool of players is good for their salaries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad