2023 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - Draft Lottery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
That's how you end up with a Kotkaniemi 3rd overall. GMs should be banned from watching a limited tournament sample. It should be based on consistent season performance by the scouts.
That is also how you get Klimovich who is trending very well for a mid 2nd round pick

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Wood is really putting himself in the conversation for the top winger in the draft. His NCAA, + U18 production has been fantastic

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Tournaments are data points. Taking performance in one tournament and moving a player around entirely by that instead of using it as another point of information never leads to anything positive.
Usually, But for some reason this year, seems different.
Not sure why for me 2bh

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Usually, But for some reason this year, seems different.
Not sure why for me 2bh

Bro, what is you doing?!

CanucskLB.png

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
would Canucks consider giving hawks # 11 and Tyler Myers for #20. Tyler is going to take a sweetner to get him off the books, was pretty bad last year and the odds of getting better is not good, terrible Corsi and EXG. canucks have to shed something.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
would Canucks consider giving hawks # 11 and Tyler Myers for #20. Tyler is going to take a sweetner to get him off the books, was pretty bad last year and the odds of getting better is not good, terrible Corsi and EXG. canucks have to shed something.

Absolutely not. Myers sucks, but he's on the last year of his deal and will be owed almost nothing when the season starts. Definitely would not be sweetening that deal with our first.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Wood is really putting himself in the conversation for the top winger in the draft. His NCAA, + U18 production has been fantastic
Mitchkov and Benson are way better. Also his skating is atrocious, even with his goals in the U-18 it's more of him being in the right spot with Celebrini driving play. Also, Sale was the best player on the ice in Canada vs Czech.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I would say that is more his ideal projection, not his realistic projection.

Initially, I really favoured his speed with the puck, but his decision making once he gains room leaves something to desired, IMO. He's also of a lower physical profile to Larkin (size), and his shot isn't nearly as good.

Moore will far more easily earn the trust of coaches. But a guy like Sale, who is maligned at this point, will better keep a coach employed (if that makes sense?).

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
That's awful.
After his bonus is paid, I wouldn't be surprised if Myers can be traded for a 7th or future consideration. Paying asset to get rid of his is asinine .

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Absolutely not. Myers sucks, but he's on the last year of his deal and will be owed almost nothing when the season starts. Definitely would not be sweetening that deal with our first.

That's awful.
After his bonus is paid, I wouldn't be surprised if Myers can be traded for a 7th or future consideration. Paying asset to get rid of his is asinine .
Nobody is taking on 6 MIL AAV contract (his bonus is due on sept 1st) on SEPT 2nd without a sweetner. 90% of the teams are up against the cap by SEPT. they have gone thru UFA, most RFA''s are done. they only ones that will have that space are a few bad teams that will only take him with a sweetner. in fairness I said taking on myers to move up 9 spots in the draft not take the 1st out right. all the other GM's are aware the spot vancouver is in with the cap nobody does teams favors for nothing.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Nobody is taking on 6 MIL AAV contract (his bonus is due on sept 1st) on SEPT 2nd without a sweetner. 90% of the teams are up against the cap by SEPT. they have gone thru UFA, most RFA''s are done. they only ones that will have that space are a few bad teams that will only take him with a sweetner. in fairness I said taking on myers to move up 9 spots in the draft not take the 1st out right. all the other GM's are aware the spot vancouver is in with the cap nobody does teams favors for nothing.
Myers is still a passable #5 boardline top 4 Dman. Its not like he can't play at the NHL level. He was quite good under Tochette

Reactions: MarkMM

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Ok, so let's say you give Chicago the #11. Now you've got rid of Myers. Then What? Is there another move coming to bring in someone to improve the team? Or is this the only way you can think to get safely under the cap and now you can rest easy?

Reactions: MarkMM

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Ok, so let's say you give Chicago the #11. Now you've got rid of Myers. Then What? Is there another move coming to bring in someone to improve the team? Or is this the only way you can think to get safely under the cap and now you can rest easy?
assuming Michevye is healthy you are going to need to move out at least 6-8 mil to get cap compliant. Im sure they would love to move OEL or Garland but those are long term deals which are very hard to move. Kuzmenko 4.55 raise and JT millers 2.75 raise kick in next year.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
assuming Michevye is healthy you are going to need to move out at least 6-8 mil to get cap compliant. Im sure they would love to move OEL or Garland but those are long term deals which are very hard to move. Kuzmenko 4.55 raise and JT millers 2.75 raise kick in next year.

The team doesn't need to move money if Poolman and Pearson are LTIR.

We would very much like to move Myers, but it isn't a "need".

What will most likely happen is there will be a handshake deal to move myers and the deal will not be "completed" until after the bonus is paid. The team can go over the cap in the summer, plus the LTIR bonus as well.

Also one of Boeser or Garland probably moves.

If you want Myers you will have to do a lot better than what you offered...

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Tournaments are data points. Taking performance in one tournament and moving a player around entirely by that instead of using it as another point of information never leads to anything positive.
I would disagree somewhat. Mostly for europeans because tournaments can be the only time scouts get to see players like Sale and Dvorsky (he played a couple J20 games but it's a low level of hockey) against their peer groups. Or another instance someone like ASP who plays pretty conservatively in the SHL because if he doesn't he won't get minutes. But, the J20 level is hard to evaluate because it such a low level of hockey that scouts want to see how his game looks against the best teams (Canada, USA, and Finland). On the flip side you have players like Sawcyn, Danielson and Moore (I know the first two aren't playing just using them as examples). Players that have been played down in the lineup (Sawcyn), don't play on a great team (Danielson), and without good linemates (Moore). It helps to see them in different situations. Which will then help put things into perspective and give you more context. But I would agree you should have most of your thoughts and rankings about a player done through league play and tournaments can help you confirm or deny suspicions you have about a player.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Terrible idea.

You are getting him off the books for what? We aren't going to be a contender next year and his contract expires after the end of next year so it's no longer an issue.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would disagree somewhat. Mostly for europeans because tournaments can be the only time scouts get to see players like Sale and Dvorsky (he played a couple J20 games but it's a low level of hockey) against their peer groups. Or another instance someone like ASP who plays pretty conservatively in the SHL because if he doesn't he won't get minutes. But, the J20 level is hard to evaluate because it such a low level of hockey that scouts want to see how his game looks against the best teams (Canada, USA, and Finland). On the flip side you have players like Sawcyn, Danielson and Moore (I know the first two aren't playing just using them as examples). Players that have been played down in the lineup (Sawcyn), don't play on a great team (Danielson), and without good linemates (Moore). It helps to see them in different situations. Which will then help put things into perspective and give you more context. But I would agree you should have most of your thoughts and rankings about a player done through league play and tournaments can help you confirm or deny suspicions you have about a player.

Sachwyn is an intriguing prospect. I think I see him being very close to Moore in ability, without the accolades. If we had the mid-1st, he would be a prime candidate. He's just very good with the details side of the game. His production doesn't stand out, again, partly due to playing lower in the line-up, but 2way play is very encouraging.

Reminds me of Saku Koivu, or similar. (Talking style, not top end)

Feb 19, 2018
Looking more and more likely that we have one of Reinbacher, ASP, Moore available at our pick. I’d also consider trading back unless a massive faller like Michkov is available and target Willander as a RHD to play with Hughes down the road.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m torn between him and Perrault. Wood’s size at 6’4 200lbs coupled with his hands and shot is very enticing.

Perrault is putting up historic numbers as well. He holds the most points records of all US Hockey competitions/matches with 126 points. That’s more than Matthews, Hughes, Kane, Keller, Caufield, etc.

Wood’s been compared to Rantanen/Laine

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Looking more and more likely that we have one of Reinbacher, ASP, Moore available at our pick. I’d also consider trading back unless a massive faller like Michkov is available and target Willander as a RHD to play with Hughes down the road.
I keep watching asp close, I don’t think he skates as well as people think, I don’t think he’s as confident with the puck as a lot of people think, and honestly, his shot, while accurate, is not as good as I thought.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

Thought this was interesting.

Hey look Canucks Bust Johnathan Lekkermaki is on that list:sarcasm:

I think History will prove that one out of Smith, Pererault, Leonard was a passenger who's stats were inflated by having excellent linemates.
If I had to guess it will probably be Leonard if his offense doesnt translation to success at the NCAA level. I think the main reason those players fail was because they didnt have the drive to work on the things that they werent good at

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Perrault and Wood late risers?

Everyone’s been raving about how good Wood has been

Leonard too actually

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad