2023 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - Draft Lottery Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
We battle now with sale opinions! :wedgie:
We'll see it's only 2 games that i tracked. I've seen him lots before too so i know he's a 1st round talent but like Dvorsky ASP Barlow Cristall Moore etc that are ranked high they are gonna get held to a high standard so it's relative to expectations. I will summarize it later after the tourney

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
My final top 32:

Tier 1
1. Bedard (C)
2. Michkov (F)
3. Fantilli (C)
4. Carlsson (C/W)
5. Benson (LW)
6. Smith (C)

Tier 2
7. Reinbacher (RHD)
8. Yager (C)
9. ASP (RHD)
10. Wood (RW)
11. Perrault (LW)
12. Sale (F)

Tier 3
13. Moore (C/F)
14. Leonard (RW)
15. Dvorsky (C)
16. Simashev (LHD)
17. Barlow (C)
18. Honzek (C)
19. Ritchie (C)
20. Danielson (C)
21. Willander (RHD)
22. Lardis (C/W)
23. Musty (LW/RW)
24. Dragicevic (RHD)

Tier 4
25. Cristall (LW/RW)

26. Gulyayev (LHD)
27. Heidt (C)
28. Price (LHD)
29. Stenberg (F)
30. Brzustewicz (RHD)
31. Gauthier (LW)
32. Haltunnen (LW/RW)

Can you comment on why you have Simashev out of Tier2? And why you have Yager and Perrault there (not too many people have given this credit to Perrault until recently).

Cristall and Heidt in Tier4? Very interesting.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Can you comment on why you have Simashev out of Tier2? And why you have Yager and Perrault there (not too many people have given this credit to Perrault until recently).

Cristall and Heidt in Tier4? Very interesting.
Yager is an amazing skater and has a high energy level that I find is translatable to the NHL. He’s got elite hockey IQ and skill, and is a play driving force. Only reason I don’t have him higher is that he can be a bit too inconsistent defensively.

Perrault is interesting because he is a riser for me. His point totals in the USDP has also surpassed the likes of Hughes, Matthews, Keller Kane, Eichel, etc, holding the all time record for points in season. Knowing how advanced US hockey is, and those players he’s surpassed being able to translate to the NHL, based off of that alone he cracks the top 10. His skating while needs improvement isn’t enough to hold him back for me. He’s one of the best creative puck handlers in this draft and to me is the play driver of that insane Smith/Leonard line. He finished with 125pts in 59 games including 52 goals. That is 1st overall production. Currently he has 11 points in 3 games at the U18’s and is looking to break records yet again.

Cristall reminds me of Shinkaruk. He puts up points, but even at the junior level, he has way too many noticeable flaws in his overall game that need to improve. Defensively, he gets exposed for his puck watching habits, he’s incredibly weak, is not very effective at 5 on 5 dump and chase style of hockey, and is far too one dimensional. His agility is good, but because how weak he is, he falls to the ice easily and isn’t able to generate enough speed to get away from a determined checking defender. I will say this, when he has the puck, he’s got top 5 level of skill. Incredibly incredibly talented.

Simashev is lower because I do question his decision making and overall hockey IQ. His size and good skating along with his offensive instincts are good enough to be top 15, but I do think there are much better players to be had and ones that project better.

Heidt has a lower ceiling IMO compared to other centres I have listed above him. I just don’t see the skill level that screams top end centre at the NHL level. He’s more of low risk low reward player and is more of a conservative option for a team looking for a player with good overall hockey instincts but doesn’t necessarily have anything that stands out from his toolbox.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Dvorsky just woke up
Lol was just about to do post a breakdown about how he needs to be more aggressive offensively. His skating even in the game against Canada versus where it looked against the Czechs was a lot better. One last thing his physicality for his age is very impressive. The way he uses his strength especially in the defensive zone is very rare.

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
I was going to hold of on my list until the Tournament is over.
Lots of people tho are asking for my updated list, So decided to share (Currently).
I also think It's important to mention, I was NOT expecting to change my list much due to a Tournament, But there are a few players that have stood out Good + Bad for me, to the point it did have an effect.

Here we go! Draft Rankings (Top 10) Not a Mock Draft.

#1 - Bedard
#2 - Adam Fantilli
#3 - Matvei Michkov

#4 - Will Smith
#5 - Leo Carlsson
#6 - Zach Benson
#7 - Eduard Sale
#8 - Oliver Moore
#9 - David Reinbacher
#10 - Samuel Honzek

Biggest Riser - Will Smith, Eduard Sale, Samuel Honzek
Biggest Faller - Andrew Cristall, Dalivor Dvorsky, Colby Barlow

Quick Summary : Eduard Sale is my biggest Riser, I had him outside my top 15, I decided to focus heavily on him, and Boy have I came out impressed. He has a work Ethic Problem, It's Evident, But his pure Natural Talent is impressive, and most importantly, Translatable to the NHL.
Incredibly intelligent, Especially in the offensive Zone, Rarely makes the wrong play, Strong with the Puck, and has serious hands. He reminds me of a Shorter Tage Thompson.

Samuel Honzek is somebody I watched a lot recently, Took a ton of time looking at Highlights, Clips, Even had a chance to see a few full games.
I also saw him live a Couple of times, and there is something there.

He eats people along the boards, is aggressive (Sometimes a bit much, gets out of position), and even tho people say he also has a work ethic problem, I never seemed to notice this. His control with the puck at full speed, it kind of reminds me of Less hitting version of Alex Tuch (Skates a bit worse), Just drives constantly. What's weird tho, It's not like he is a physical player, but has tenacity, Kind of like Hansen in a way as well.
He also has nice sneaky fast shot, Really liking him as a prospect.

That's about it for now.

Ill give a more Detailed Version of my Full Thoughts and Final Rankings near the final Rankings time.

Interesting.

Rankings are all over the place across the board after 6.

I don't see the drop-off you're referring to at 8/9. Tons of great prospects left... ASP, Cristall, Dvorsky, Perrault, Leonard, etc.etc.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yager is an amazing skater and has a high energy level that I find is translatable to the NHL. He’s got elite hockey IQ and skill, and is a play driving force. Only reason I don’t have him higher is that he can be a bit too inconsistent defensively.

Perrault is interesting because he is a riser for me. His point totals in the USDP has also surpassed the likes of Hughes, Matthews, Keller Kane, Eichel, etc, holding the all time record for points in season. Knowing how advanced US hockey is, and those players he’s surpassed being able to translate to the NHL, based off of that alone he cracks the top 10. His skating while needs improvement isn’t enough to hold him back for me. He’s one of the best creative puck handlers in this draft and to me is the play driver of that insane Smith/Leonard line. He finished with 125pts in 59 games including 52 goals. That is 1st overall production. Currently he has 11 points in 3 games at the U18’s and is looking to break records yet again.

Cristall reminds me of Shinkaruk. He puts up points, but even at the junior level, he has way too many noticeable flaws in his overall game that need to improve. Defensively, he gets exposed for his puck watching habits, he’s incredibly weak, is not very effective at 5 on 5 dump and chase style of hockey, and is far too one dimensional. His agility is good, but because how weak he is, he falls to the ice easily and isn’t able to generate enough speed to get away from a determined checking defender. I will say this, when he has the puck, he’s got top 5 level of skill. Incredibly incredibly talented.

Simashev is lower because I do question his decision making and overall hockey IQ. His size and good skating along with his offensive instincts are good enough to be top 15, but I do think there are much better players to be had and ones that project better.

Heidt has a lower ceiling IMO compared to other centres I have listed above him. I just don’t see the skill level that screams top end centre at the NHL level. He’s more of low risk low reward player and is more of a conservative option for a team looking for a player with good overall hockey instincts but doesn’t necessarily have anything that stands out from his toolbox.

Perrault is getting his shine now, and is dominant. However, I still have concerns about his mobility. He should go top10, but if he’s there for the Canucks, I would say it’s not a slam dunk decision.

Simashev’s offensive IQ ties to his production. That’s the big question mark. I think he’s very promising as a defensive Dman. He should be on the cusp of the top10 and pushing up against it, but fair enough on the 15th ranking.

Yager’s upside is in question a little. He’s not as creative as I would like a pick like him to be.

Canucks should be all over Perrault at 11. He’s breaking US Hockey records. I see him as the Pettersson of this draft.

He shouldn’t get to 11, IMO.

Reactions: VIPettersson

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Perrault is getting his shine now, and is dominant. However, I still have concerns about his mobility. He should go top10, but if he’s there for the Canucks, I would say it’s not a slam dunk decision.

Simashev’s offensive IQ ties to his production. That’s the big question mark. I think he’s very promising as a defensive Dman. He should be on the cusp of the top10 and pushing up against it, but fair enough on the 15th ranking.

Yager’s upside is in question a little. He’s not as creative as I would like a pick like him to be.

He shouldn’t get to 11, IMO.
Agreed, I can see Perrault being drafted much higher, perhaps Habs take him at 5/6 due to them needing above average skilled players as well as the Yanic Perrault connection.

There’s a real good chance Reinbacher, ASP, Yager, Perrault, dare I might add Smith that could easily fall right into our laps. The 6-13 in this draft easily go top 5 in most drafts. After the first 6 picks, the BPA is quite subjective.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Agreed, I can see Perrault being drafted much higher, perhaps Habs take him at 5/6 due to them needing above average skilled players as well as the Yanic Perrault connection.

There’s a real good chance Reinbacher, ASP, Yager, Perrault, dare I might add Smith that could easily fall right into our laps. The 6-13 in this draft easily go top 5 in most drafts. After the first 6 picks, the BPA is quite subjective.

Assuming this distribution, who do you take at 11?

1. ANA: Bedard
2. CLB: Fantilli
3. CHI: Carlsson
4. SJ: Benson
5. MTL: Perreault
6. ARZ: Michkov
7. PHI: Smith
8. WSH: Reinbacher
9. DET: Honzek
10. STL: Sandin Pellikka
11. VAN: ?

Top options thus far: Barlow, Yager, Sale, Simashev, Wood, Moore, Leonard, Danielson, Dvorsky, Cristall

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Top options thus far: Barlow, Yager, Sale, Simashev Wood, Moore, Leonard, Danielson, Dvorsky, Cristall

Easily Oliver Moore. C with speed.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Top options thus far: Barlow, Yager, Sale, Simashev, Wood, Moore, Leonard, Danielson, Dvorsky, Cristall
Moore in half a second

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

Perreault at #5 eh? Pretty risky to reach that deep, if MTL really wants him they can trade down.

To answer your question, it would be Moore for me as well however I'm warming up to Yager and Dvorsky. Also wouldn't mind trading down ourselves as well.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

Yager. Wood a close 2nd.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
The Winnipeg Ice defeated the Moose Jaw Warriors 8-2 in game 6. That means Brayden Yager is out of the playoffs he finished with 16 points in 10 games. And he is probably done with hockey for the year. Bright side is Benson looks back up to game speed after missing the first 6 games of the playoffs. Also, Connor Geekies last couple games have been massive.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Moore easily. Then a toss up between Dvorsky and Yager for me.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
This tournament is no doubt going to flip some general managers minds.

There’s a few players specifically, who are absolutely catapulting up the draft.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Looking at this years draft I think we pick at 11 as there are a group of players That I eally like at that spot that won't be available if we trade down but I would like use to pick up a late 1st or early 2nd as some of the Swedish players who are having good WJC are going to drive down some players that I thought wouldnt be avaliable with a low 1st.

Bonk
Stenberg
Wallinder
Strbak
Molendyk
Sawchyk

are the players I would target with that pick

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Looking at this years draft I think we pick at 11 as there are a group of players That I eally like at that spot that won't be available if we trade down but I would like use to pick up a late 1st or early 2nd as some of the Swedish players who are having good WJC are going to drive down some players that I thought wouldnt be avaliable with a low 1st.

Bonk
Stenberg
Wallinder
Strbak
Molendyk
Sawchyk

are the players I would target with that pick
Even more of a reason to be pissed about trading away the Isles 1st and our 2nd.

Reactions: me2 and oceanchild

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
That's how you end up with a Kotkaniemi 3rd overall. GMs should be banned from watching a limited tournament sample. It should be based on consistent season performance by the scouts.
That’s true, but there’s also a ton of examples that go the other way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad