Draft 2023 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I have been narrowing down and these are players I would pick way above their expected draft position.

Nate Danielson, C
Mikhail Gulyayev, LHD
Lenni Hameenaho, RW
Tom Willander, RHD
Mathieu Cataford, RW
Luca Cagnoni, LHD
Beau Akey, RHD
Anton Wahlberg, C

I would give all 8 a 1st round grade right now.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Gabe Perreault could end up being available at our pick. EP's Consolidated ranking has him currently at 24.
Per Scott Wheeler of the Athletic:

11. Gabe Perreault — LW, U.S. NTDP, 5-foot-11

I’m prepared to stick my neck out on Perreault at this point. Eventually, when the points pile up like they have, and they happen making the kinds of plays that he does, you can’t ignore them. There are many who’ve settled on Perreault as more of a mid-to-late-round first because of the combination of his skinny frame and the linemates he plays with. But at this point in time there’s also only one player in the history of the U.S. NTDP who has produced at a higher points per game clip in their draft year than Perreault has this season: Jack Hughes. Not Phil Kessel. Not Clayton Keller. Not Cole Caufield. Not Logan Cooley. Only Hughes. The U17 team’s leader in assists and points last year, Perreault has played to nearly two points per game with the U18 team this year. And yet most believe he’s the third-most compelling and projectable prospect on USA’s top line.

I’m less and less convinced of that. He’s a clever beyond belief, maneuverable facilitator and playmaker who plays the game with a light touch and a heady spatial awareness of not only where his teammates are, but where he is in the flow of play (and relative to defenders). The son of longtime NHLer Yanic Perreault and brother of Ducks prospect Jacob, Gabe doesn’t have his dad’s defensive acumen or his brother’s build (he’s listed at 165 pounds now), but he’s an intuitive, highly-intelligent player who sees the play develop offensively at a more advanced level than his two family members did/do — and than almost anybody in the draft does. He’s got some of the quickest hands in the draft. He problem-solves his way out of trouble as well as anyone in this age group. He gets shots off extremely fast and without bobbles in catch-and-release sequences. He plans things out on the ice at speed and then finds ways to make his desired play. He’s a slick one-on-one player. He’s a good skater and should pick up another step as he gets stronger.

Because of his genetics, he should add the necessary weight and strength eventually. I’d eagerly bet on him.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
It's the beginning of college free agent signing season as several teams have already had their seasons end. The Blues just signed a defenseman from Bowling Green. The Rangers have been very active in this market over the years including signing Bobby Trivigno and Brandon Scanlin, two of the top free agents, last year.

This is Chris Peters rankings on the top free agents that could be available this year:

Reactions: MrAlmost

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No chance Eduard Sale makes it to our pick eh?

If not, please just draft the forward who skates the best out of whoever is on the board. Thanks.

This team needs defensemen more than forwards at this stage. Our prospect depth at defense has taken a hit.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I still don't like drafting for need in the NHL. It's one thing if you have a choice of players who you think will make an impact in their D+1 or D+2 seasons. Then you have a reasonable idea of what your organizational needs may be.

Usually we're looking at guys that won't be a help until 4 or 5 years (or more) after being drafted. It's hard to know what you'll actually need organizationally at that point in time. We could have a need in one area today and at the draft make a deal to partially address that area and then add an UDFA or something and suddenly it's far less pressing.

There are some exceptions, like if you have absolutely no defensemen at all in the system that are legitimate prospects, or not a single wing prospect that projects above a fourth line spot or something. But I don't think that's the case with us.

EDIT: To elaborate, if it's our pick in the second round, and we have 12 guys left on our board with a second round grade, I'm not going to pick a defenseman because we "need" one in the system now. The scouts are going to have their guys within that pool of players with a second round grade and will lobby for who they think is the right pick within that group, and if I trust my scouts and the guy who wants the big RW that we don't "need" sells me on why that guy is the best pick in the bunch, I'm going to take him even if we don't need him. Because when he's ready to contribute in 2028 or whatever we may actually have a huge need for a RW, who knows.

Last edited:

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Amazing city.

Hattie B’s fried chicken. I think I waited online for about an hour just to get it.

You need to go to Prince's. Hattie B's is Prince's for tourists.

I’ll check it out.

All I know is you can’t get Fried chicken like that in New York!
I usually don't like to be the guy to post off-topic... but as a food snob, its tough to travel and get certain things. Fried chicken isn't one of em.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the place inside the Canes arena, but the chicken tenders were more fried chicken and they were amazing. Hat tip to the.

Also, as far as 'fast food', Bojangles left an impression too.

Bookmarking those for my first time to Nashville.

Reactions: Lion Hound

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
So, where would the league want Bedard to go?

Montreal? Chicago?

or to places like Ohio or Arizona? to try and help

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
It's the beginning of college free agent signing season as several teams have already had their seasons end. The Blues just signed a defenseman from Bowling Green. The Rangers have been very active in this market over the years including signing Bobby Trivigno and Brandon Scanlin, two of the top free agents, last year.

This is Chris Peters rankings on the top free agents that could be available this year:

Some good names in there to take a chance on. Coming away with 2 of any of them would be nice since we have some reduced number of picks last year and next year.

I imagine the Rangers will try to get their hands on 1 dman, likely a righty, and one of either a center or right wing. Do these guys usually pan out? No, but at least 1 undrafted guy seems to crack the league every year so you should always keep trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad