Draft 2023 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Severstal vs Lokomotiv is about to start. Looks like no Suvorov. Believe he was hurt a handful of games back. Hasn't been very effective since, only took 2 shifts last game. It'll be nice to see Lokomotiv though. I've posted about Stepan Nikulin and Daniil Isayev, undrafted emerging talents. Looks like 2023 draft prospect Daniil But is playing as well. Possible first round pick

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
'It's Bedard at No. 1 and a wide chasm to everyone else' - TSN.ca

we have two picks in the 1st this year that are looking to be 20 or later, so of course, there are basically no centers in the entire back half of the first round.
I am sure there will be fallers and if not grab two RW's. I mean if this is a deep draft at forward up front like everyone is saying there has to be two decent RW's in the 22-32 range. Or maybe scouts can do their job and find a Center/Chytil like guy that is pegged for the 2nd round and is actually a first round talent. We don't need either pick to come in right away. Would just be nice to have some cost controlled center/RW depth 2-3 years from now.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016

I'd add another Swedish Felix on that list too, Felix Unger Sörum. Central Scouting has him #90th for European skaters. Central Scouting has Felix Nilsson at #79 for European skaters, some rankings have him in the 2nd round. They have the Danish Mølgaard at #50. All real solid junior production with some SHL games under their belt as well. You add the North Americans to the mix and that leaves these guys in the later rounds, definitely names to watch for.

Alex Čiernik is the really interesting one. Maybe in a different draft he'd get more recognition. The kid is producing in the Allsvensken right now at a rate better than guys like Filip Forsberg and Jesper Bratt, and just a notch below Pastrnak in their draft years. He's even pacing better numbers than Dvorský, who's ranked #4th for EU skaters and projected as a possible top 10 pick. Čiernik does play a bit bigger role for Västervik though. At the moment he's ranked at #21 for EU, with just about every publication putting him in the 2nd round. Again, another player to keep an eye on.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What a disaster this will be for any team that passes on him. He’s the obvious #2 talent and there’s a massive gap after him. He’s worth the wait.

I think he’s the best prospect since Matthews (besides Bedard of course).
I'm half hoping for a Cherepanov situation where he drops to 10 and we trade up to get him.

Reactions: bhamill

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I'm half hoping for a Cherepanov situation where he drops to 10 and we trade up to get him.

Sorry man there’s just no way. He’s the best Russian prospect since Ovechkin. He’s going at #2. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Sorry man there’s just no way. He’s the best Russian prospect since Ovechkin. He’s going at #2. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t.
Fantilli is putting up ridiculous numbers in the NCAA and Michkov is contracted in the KHL until 2025-26.

I can definitely see a team taking Fantilli 2nd overall rather than wait and worry over Michkov. But yeah, I don't see Michkov dropping far enough that we can get him.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Crazy thing is Fantilli and Michkov would probably go 1st OA in a lot of drafts.. theres essentially three 1st OA talents in this draft

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Think there is a chance that Michkov drops but I can't see him falling very far. It will be more because those lowest on the lottery ladder will want more immediate help than they're willing to wait until 2026-27.....and that could turn into a mistake.....maybe not a great big one because there is a lot of quality in this draft but a mistake nonetheless. Pretty sure he won't fall further than 6. He should be in the top 4 though.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Fantilli is putting up ridiculous numbers in the NCAA and Michkov is contracted in the KHL until 2025-26.

I can definitely see a team taking Fantilli 2nd overall rather than wait and worry over Michkov. But yeah, I don't see Michkov dropping far enough that we can get him.
Yeah, between the situation in Russia and Michkov's contract, I can see him falling, but he wont fall too far, he's too good. Anywhere out of the top 5 and I think there is a chance to trade up. ESPECIALLY if we still have our 2 1sts this year and our 1st next year...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If we are going to draft a goalie, it better be Tomáš Suchánek. Plays for the Americans, carried the Czechs to a silver medal at the WJC. That kid is a 3rd year eligible, but he's really stepped up recently.

Suchánek and Chmelař together in the future at MSG? That would be cool.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
hockey twitter with many hot takes re Henry doing the Vesey/Fox/Kerfoot

me, dont care much, but this? makes me laugh

1676499299878.png

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Sigh. Danielson keeps playing himself out of our draft range. Calum Ritchie was another guy initially projected as a lottery pick that dealt with consistency issues during the middle of the season. He’s been coming along nicely lately, and he’s considered a great kid off the ice that’s really dedicated to being a pro athlete.

If he falls within our range, he’d be a great add as a center with really good size, speed, and skill. Musty is a LW, but the kid is so absurdly skilled and would be a great add too

Reactions: surlysailor

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Sigh. Danielson keeps playing himself out of our draft range. Calum Ritchie was another guy initially projected as a lottery pick that dealt with consistency issues during the middle of the season. He’s been coming along nicely lately, and he’s considered a great kid off the ice that’s really dedicated to being a pro athlete.

If he falls within our range, he’d be a great add as a center with really good size, speed, and skill. Musty is a LW, but the kid is so absurdly skilled and would be a great add too
I like musty a lot. Most places he seems like he could be in our range and fit our timeline for lw. Panarin will have 3 years left & ck 5(maybe less if he gets dealt when his nmc lifts) and then hopefully othmann will be established and musty will be ready she either the play could be gone.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I like musty a lot. Most places he seems like he could be in our range and fit our timeline for lw. Panarin will have 3 years left & ck 5(maybe less if he gets dealt when his nmc lifts) and then hopefully othmann will be established and musty will be ready she either the play could be gone.
He’s a NY kid too that’s been crushing every level he’s played at thus far; plus, he’s a July birthday which bodes well for him moving forward as one of the younger players in this draft.

I’m pretty meh on this first round after the first ~20 or so, but he’d be a really good consolation prize. I think the rest of the draft will yield a lot of quality depth guys, but I’m probably iffier on it than most. The top-end of it is amazing though.

Reactions: surlysailor

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
What a disaster this will be for any team that passes on him. He’s the obvious #2 talent and there’s a massive gap after him. He’s worth the wait.

I think he’s the best prospect since Matthews (besides Bedard of course).
Is the gap between him and fantilli really that big?
Fantilli is tearing up the NCAA and hes a more finished product than someone like byfield.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Is the gap between him and fantilli really that big?
Fantilli is tearing up the NCAA and hes a more finished product than someone like byfield.

Michkov is genuinely that good. If he was American or Canadian and playing NA, I don't think it'd be a contest, even with Fantilli's positional advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad