Draft 2023 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Of those I don’t see Dvorsky dropping out of the Top 10. Rest are probably doable depending where the pick lands
It's totally dependent on how his WJC goes, but I absolutely do. He can't skate.

Danielson is my non top 10 target for the Rangers.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Charlie Stramel could be a decent pickup later in the 1st. Not having a great season in the NCAA so far with 6 pts in 16 games, but is potentially turning things around (4pts in last 5)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It's totally dependent on how his WJC goes, but I absolutely do. He can't skate.

Danielson is my non top 10 target for the Rangers.
Danielson and Will Smith are such perfect fits for the Rangers, which is exactly why there's no chance in hell we get either one of them.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Of those I don’t see Dvorsky dropping out of the Top 10. Rest are probably doable depending where the pick lands

We’ll see. He’s not having a great draft season compared to expectations. Only 8 points and pointless in his last 5 games. I’ve seen him a few times. From the little I’ve seen he struggles to create offense off the rush. Very good IQ in set situations and on the power play, and solid defensively.

I think Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith, and Benson are firmly above him right now. I have him in the next tier with Yager and Sale.

Reactions: UnSandvich

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
We’ll see. He’s not having a great draft season compared to expectations. Only 8 points and pointless in his last 5 games. I’ve seen him a few times. From the little I’ve seen he struggles to create offense off the rush. Very good IQ in set situations and on the power play, and solid defensively.

I think Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith, and Benson are firmly above him right now. I have him in the next tier with Yager and Sale.
I'd agree with that assessment, albeit i have my top tier as Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith. And Benson's sorta in between the 2 groupings

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
There's really not a huge precedent set by guys from the lesser junior leagues like the BCHL or AJHL... if there is one it's that guys don't really make it often from those leagues. The BCHL probably has a bit better track record. A couple high profile picks in the first round fairly recently in Newhook and Jost. Kent Johnson and Matthew Wood (2023 Draft) played their D-1 season in the BCHL. Theres been a handful of good NHLers drafted straight from there.

Makar and Parayko were drafted straight from the AJHL, Dylan Holloway played his D-1 season there. Rieger Lorenz was a 2nd round pick last season. I think you look at the year Ryan McAllister and TJ Hughes are having in the NCAA... it definitely puts a couple more eyes on the AJHL. They destroyed the league last year and now Ryan McAllister is the highest scoring player in college right now. TJ Hughes is playing real well for Michigan. Who knows if it'll translate in the pros but it makes you look at the AJHL a little more.

Aiden Fink (AJHL) is definitely someone to watch for a mid round pick this year. Not a lot of players put up 2 points a game in that league, especially 18 year olds. He'll be going to a kinda weak Wisconsin program next year so there's a good chance he can earn a big role there.

Bradly Nadeau (BCHL) is going the college route as well. University of Maine with his brother. People think he may be a first round pick. Definitely worth keeping tabs on the secondary junior leagues this year

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There's really not a huge precedent set by guys from the lesser junior leagues like the BCHL or AJHL... if there is one it's that guys don't really make it often from those leagues. The BCHL probably has a bit better track record. A couple high profile picks in the first round fairly recently in Newhook and Jost. Kent Johnson and Matthew Wood (2023 Draft) played their D-1 season in the BCHL. Theres been a handful of good NHLers drafted straight from there.

Makar and Parayko were drafted straight from the AJHL, Dylan Holloway played his D-1 season there. Rieger Lorenz was a 2nd round pick last season. I think you look at the year Ryan McAllister and TJ Hughes are having in the NCAA... it definitely puts a couple more eyes on the AJHL. They destroyed the league last year and now Ryan McAllister is the highest scoring player in college right now. TJ Hughes is playing real well for Michigan. Who knows if it'll translate in the pros but it makes you look at the AJHL a little more.

Aiden Fink (AJHL) is definitely someone to watch for a mid round pick this year. Not a lot of players put up 2 points a game in that league, especially 18 year olds. He'll be going to a kinda weak Wisconsin program next year so there's a good chance he can earn a big role there.

Bradly Nadeau (BCHL) is going the college route as well. University of Maine with his brother. People think he may be a first round pick. Definitely worth keeping tabs on the secondary junior leagues this year
I don’t think League quality matters as much as it used to. You have to draft on traits now. Who has an elite trait that is going to keep them in the NHL? that’s the question that you need to ask. I’m done with these Jack of all trade master if none guys

Reactions: egelband

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
having a prolific goal scorer, like what Bedard is supposed to be, would be nice for once.
he will just turn into another guy that will blossom somewhere else, or Bedard will just turn into a 35 point player 3rd liner with consistently issues. I bet it will get to a a point where future prospects will reject being drafted or traded by and or to the Rangers 🤮

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Catching a little KHL action, SKA vs Minsk. Vadim Moroz scored on a 2 on 1 a little while ago. That should bump him up to 12 points in 24 games. Not bad for a dude that turned 19 last month. Wasn't drafted, played in Belarus last year. At this pace gotta figure someone drafts him as an overager. Another guy I'd look at in the mid rounds. Maybe a similar kinda path as Sharangovich, both played for Minsk.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Switched over to Assat to watch Hameenaho only to find out after looking for him the entire 1st period that he's out with an injury 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: UnSandvich

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
KHL is starting back up tomorrow after their All Star break. Definitely gonna watch some more of those Belarusians, Vadim Moroz (Dinamo Minsk) and Alexander Suvorov (Severstal Cherepovets). Both play tomorrow. Not for nothing, if you draft a Russian kid in their original draft year and their producing around half a point per game in the KHL in their D+1 or D+2 that's pretty damn good, even for a high pick. Think it speaks volumes that these 2 are undrafted and really flying under the radar.

Moroz plays with a couple of our old buddies, Spooner and Nick Merkley

Reactions: ArPanet

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Danielson and Will Smith are such perfect fits for the Rangers, which is exactly why there's no chance in hell we get either one of them.

Rangers don’t need someone that will randomly slap people for making a joke 😂
4188D6F0-5FF6-47D5-8734-2F07CC9925FC.gif

• Haha
Reactions: B17 Apricots

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
A guy who's apparently starting to get some attention is David Reinbacher. 14 pts in 28 games as an 18 yr old Dman in the Swiss league, good for 4th overall on his team. Wouldn't mind grabbing him depending on where our 1st rounders finish at, could end up being underscouted due to league.

Ranked 29th by Sportsnet, 26th by HockeyProspect

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Will Smith is skyrocketing. Don’t think he lasts into the double digits picks anymore
He and Perrault are both going to go top 10. They're both rising big time.

The Swiss defenseman would be a really shrewd pick, which is why I don't see the Rangers taking him.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

The Swiss defenseman would be a really shrewd pick, which is why I don't see the Rangers taking him.

I don’t think Perreault has standout attributes like Smith. He’s just a smart player. I don’t think he’ll go in first half of the 1st round

Reinbacher is Austrian, not Swiss.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Sucks too because they'd both be absolutely perfect fits for this young corps of forwards. Oh well, I'm going to do what I can to keep my Nate Danielson dream alive

Reactions: B17 Apricots

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Luckily yesterday the Minsk and Severstal games were separated by about half an hour so I could switch to the other during an intermission. Missed the ending of Alexander Suvorov's game (Severstal) because I was leaving for work. No points for him yesterday. Creative player. The PP brought out his skillset, looked really dangerous. Tries a lot of high risk plays. He can make them but it's definitely something he'll have to refine. Had a few bad turnovers. On the ice for 2 goals against and one was directly caused by a turnover from him in his own zone. The fact that he could make some of the plays he made in the KHL at 20 is really impressive though. Seems like he'll have to improve picking and choosing the appropriate time to make the smart, safe play over the high danger one. That should come with age and experience though.

The Dinamo Minsk game with Vadim Moroz was a strange one. Minsk finished with 35 penalty minutes, so large portions of the game was them just penalty killing. Not a ton of ice time for their leading scorers like Spooner and Merkley. Moroz only played 10 minutes. Not a whole lot to take away from a game like that. The offensive skills are absolutely there but I was actually a bit surprised by his overall game in those few shifts. He showed a complete game, came back deep in his own zone to support the Dmen. Made a few plays I was impressed by. It's unfortunate the role that he plays at the moment. He only averages 11 minutes a game, some nights they play him 18 minutes a game, some nights he plays 10. Hopefully they increase his role.

Thats the biggest difference between Suvorov and Moroz. One plays 16 minutes a night whereas the other only plays 11 minutes a game. Definitely sold on both of them, would love to get em in the middle rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00