Draft 2023 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Stramel would be one of the few picks at 23 that would make me throw my remote through the TV. Endstrom would be a reach at 23 given who else would likely be on the board but I wouldn't hate it. The other three would be fine to me.

If a player like Yager, Benson, Barlow, Danielson, or Perreault drops to 23, that's a home run.

Sale is a prospect you gamble on if your cupboard is already well situated. The Rangers can't afford to miss on this pick. But if Sale hits, my goodness, he will hit.
Yea, if we pick Stramel at 23 then count me in as throwing the remote at the TV too. He should not be picked in the first round.

Wouldn't be happy with Enstrom or Stenberg either, especially if Sale is on the board still.

I'm okay with Musty or Ritchie

I'll be pretty surprised though if Drury doesn't take a NA player in the first round.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Am I just now realizing that the NHL Draft is taking place on Wednesday and Thursday?
I'm right there with you...

Maybe it's just my lack of faith in this org as far as drafting (am & pro), development, team construction, cap management, insight, plans both short & long term, direction, adjustment, ultimate goals & finally they all probably have BO including untreated, rabid halitosis.

(Also anything else I forgot)

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I'm right there with you...

Maybe it's just my lack of faith in this org as far as drafting (am & pro), development, team construction, cap management, insight, plans both short & long term, direction, adjustment, ultimate goals & finally they all probably have BO including untreated, rabid halitosis.

(Also anything else I forgot)
Everyone on here would go monkey if we got rid of BO.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’ve been pretty high on Sale for awhile now but I am starting to get cold feet as he falls.

I asked this question on the main Prospects board, but does anyone know anything about his family life? Is this kid coming from a place of privilege? What’s his fall back plan if he fails as a hockey player?

When talent is close, he’ll even if it isn’t that close, I think consideration of a kid’s background is of critical importance. I want the kid that has had to fight tooth and nail to get where he is and for whom failure isn’t an option because the alternative is a job in a warehouse somewhere. No more kids from very wealthy, well connected families if I’m running the ship.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Yea, if we pick Stramel at 23 then count me in as throwing the remote at the TV too. He should not be picked in the first round.

Wouldn't be happy with Enstrom or Stenberg either, especially if Sale is on the board still.

I'm okay with Musty or Ritchie

I'll be pretty surprised though if Drury doesn't take a NA player in the first round.

I want Musty, Ritchie or Brindley. If they had a 2ed or 3rd, Stramel or Nelson would be a better option their.

I’ve been pretty high on Sale for awhile now but I am starting to get cold feet as he falls.

I asked this question on the main Prospects board, but does anyone know anything about his family life? Is this kid coming from a place of privilege? What’s his fall back plan if he fails as a hockey player?

When talent is close, he’ll even if it isn’t that close, I think consideration of a kid’s background is of critical importance. I want the kid that has had to fight tooth and nail to get where he is and for whom failure isn’t an option because the alternative is a job in a warehouse somewhere. No more kids from very wealthy, well connected families if I’m running the ship.

One reason I want Brindley, his work ethic is through the roof.

Recently played for Muse current Rangers assistant coach

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Thank God you aren’t running the ship because that’s an asinine take.

A place of privilege? FFS… every one of these kids are different. You could just as easily say you don’t want a kid from a poorer family backround who doesn’t have a good support structure in place. That’s why you spend years scouting, do interviews, ask questions of people around them etc... The Rangers have their share of flops, but they also came from different backgrounds. Don’t discount that hockey is an expensive sport so a lot if these kids come from some level of wealth. Are we not taking NCAA players from big time colleges either because they might have a back up plan?

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Thank God you aren’t running the shop because that’s an asinine take.

A place of privilege? FFS… every one of these kids are different. You could just as easily say you don’t want a kid from a poorer family backround who doesn’t have a good support structure in place. That’s why you spend years scouting, do interviews, ask questions of people around them etc... The Rangers have their share of flops, but they also came from different backgrounds. Don’t discount that hockey is an expensive sport so a lot if these kids come from some level of wealth. Are we not taking NCAA players from big time colleges either because they might have a back up plan?
Ok cool.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
By putting up 40ish points while costing only 2.5ish mil or so, with room to grow? not exactly rocket science bud
Every website says:

20-21 21 pts
21-22 31 pts
22-23 39 pts

You must be one of those posters who called Kreider a 30-35 goal scorer for a decade until he potted 52 because injuries & stuff.

If NASA went by your numbers, they'd have killed wayyyyyyyyyy more astronauts than 15, Bud

If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a bike.

Oh and BTW... 0 pts in the playoffs for 2.5M isn't a bargain in my book.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Every website says:

20-21 21 pts
21-22 31 pts
22-23 39 pts

You must be one of those posters who called Kreider a 30-35 goal scorer for a decade until he potted 52 because injuries & stuff.

If NASA went by your numbers, they'd have killed wayyyyyyyyyy more astronauts than 15, Bud

Wouldn't your grandmother be a weird human with wheels and a medical marvel rather than a bike? I can't imagine that just because she suddenly had wheels you'd leave her hanging in the garage and jump on her to get to the shops...

The 'ish' parts of his post could probably be interpreted as them saying that while Laf hasn't yet had a cap hit of $2.5m, or scored 40 points (although 39 would fit most definitions for 'ish'), both are not things that would amaze in the 23-24 season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I could see Stramel mid to late 2nd round. I like other big, physical forwards better---Wood, Musty, Ritchie, Ziemmer, Halttunen, Nelson and it's not even close with most of them. if the Rangers took him at 23 I would not be happy. Not saying he can't turn into a pretty good player but his upside isn't that great and the chances of him busting are probably somewhere around 50/50.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Every website says:

20-21 21 pts
21-22 31 pts
22-23 39 pts

Nothing says “unbiased and fair” like INCLUDING prior regular season totals when they make the player look lesser and EXCLUDING prior playoff scoring when the numbers make him look good: the prior year, a much larger sample, his playoff scoring was about 0.5 ppg… hahaha.

You asked “how does he help win NOW?” And when you get a more than reasonable answer of 40ish points you point to PRIOR years instead of what we should expect NOW. By the progression in the numbers you pointed to, without a big step being taken, he could have easily said 50ish points.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Every website says:

20-21 21 pts
21-22 31 pts
22-23 39 pts

To explain further, since it seems necessary in this case:
Lafreniere put up 39 points this season, which is 1 point off 40, hence "40ish".
Lafreniere was on an ELC this season, and is expected to make somewhere in the 2.5-2.75 million on his upcoming contract, hence "2.5 million or so"
Lafreniere was 21 this season, and NHL players tend to increase their scoring as they get older until about 25 to 26, hence "room to grow"

In the future, i'll make sure i explain things in a way that you can understand. My apologies pal.

Reactions: JCMac23 and bhamill

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
Endstrom isn’t a reach. Stramel played for an awful team at Wisconsin. Granato got fired. Wisconsin hired Mike Hastings from Minnesota State. They had a very good program with Hastings. He is a better coach the Granato. He runs a better program.
I like Charlie Stramel and think that he is Drury's type of player. Played at USNTDP. If you look at Brady Tkachuk's freshman stats, they aren't anything to write home about, and he played for a much much better team at BU. I'm not saying that Stramel is Brady Tkachuk but he is a big strong power forward, has a good shot, good playmaking, skates well and hits everything that moves. The question is his scoring upside because of his meager scoring stats at Wisco this past year. His team was awful. On a positive note Granato thought highly of Stramel and said he is coming into his own. Just had to adjust to the speed of college hockey and get more ice time. Maybe he breaks out next season. Also, Stramel tested well in many categories at the NHL Scouting Combine, especially the strength exercises. agility and jumps. He is a good athlete. There are better players in the latter part of the 1st round that we discussed earlier, but if we trade down a bit, get a couple of 2nd round picks and pick Stramel, I would be happy with the pick. I think he has a low floor of 3rd line and a high ceiling of 2nd line C or RW power forward. He will definitely play. A safe but maybe unspectacular pick, unless he starts scoring like crazy.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Kravtsov effect has made its way into this thread.

Fwiw, I agree with @Synergy27. There are certain red flags you just cannot ignore.
Coming from a well to do family? Should we delve into the NFL as an example? Plenty of well to do guys have success. Plenty of people with no other opportunities end up with rap sheets. Wouldn’t this be more of an individualized experience? It’s probably not a good idea to generalize. Maybe we do a little digging? Do a little research.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon

We wont hear of the kids family life too easily, but the scouts look for many factors and character on the ice is very important. Does a kid chew out his own team, if they are not playing well?
I agree that sentiment at the end there.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like Charlie Stramel and think that he is Drury's type of player. Played at USNTDP. If you look at Brady Tkachuk's freshman stats, they aren't anything to write home about, and he played for a much much better team at BU. I'm not saying that Stramel is Brady Tkachuk but he is a big strong power forward, has a good shot, good playmaking, skates well and hits everything that moves. The question is his scoring upside because of his meager scoring stats at Wisco this past year. His team was awful. On a positive note Granato thought highly of Stramel and said he is coming into his own. Just had to adjust to the speed of college hockey and get more ice time. Maybe he breaks out next season. Also, Stramel tested well in many categories at the NHL Scouting Combine, especially the strength exercises. agility and jumps. He is a good athlete. There are better players in the latter part of the 1st round that we discussed earlier, but if we trade down a bit, get a couple of 2nd round picks and pick Stramel, I would be happy with the pick. I think he has a low floor of 3rd line and a high ceiling of 2nd line C or RW power forward. He will definitely play. A safe but maybe unspectacular pick, unless he starts scoring like crazy.

I see him as a 2nd rounder. Not early but mid to late. It's a pretty deep draft though. There are a lot of interesting players and by the second round not just forwards but defensemen and goalies too. Stramel will need to break out offensively next year. He's not Brady Tkachuk who yes did play on a deeper team but Brady also went from the draft to the NHL the next year and immediately made an impact. Stramel's not going to do anything like that. He needs more time to refine his game and prove that he's at least a very good college hockey player. He hasn't done that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad