Draft 2023 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
To explain further, since it seems necessary in this case:
Lafreniere put up 39 points this season, which is 1 point off 40, hence "40ish".
Lafreniere was on an ELC this season, and is expected to make somewhere in the 2.5-2.75 million on his upcoming contract, hence "2.5 million or so"
Lafreniere was 21 this season, and NHL players tend to increase their scoring as they get older until about 25 to 26, hence "room to grow"

In the future, i'll make sure i explain things in a way that you can understand. My apologies pal.
OK pal... 0 pts in the playoffs

Not helping. Not at all.

But we'll see how much growth we see from him this yr making 2.5M

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Edstrom is a potential grenade in R1. He’s either JEEK or David Gustafsson. Had one good late-season tourney and a good showing in 11 games with Frolunda. NDN carried him in the J20 all season. Excellent defense, shit offense in terms of creating space, puck handling, touch, etc. Every possession it’s dump, chase, net front. He’s like Mike Rasmussen. Great PKer. Elite level. Garbage-goal scorer. Size, quick, aggressive, but can’t create for shit.

He was Strome to NDN’s Panarin. Edstrom another U18 tournament darling. I have InStat. 90 percent of his goals were net-front/low slot after hard work/IQ from others.

I will shit if they take him at 23 and start smoking again. I’ll be almost as mad as I was with Lias and Olaf.

They need f***ing playmakers and dynamism. Edstrom is neither.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Edstrom is a potential grenade in R1. He’s either JEEK or David Gustafsson. Had one good late-season tourney and a good showing in 11 games with Frolunda. NDN carried him in the J20 all season. Excellent defense, shit offense in terms of creating space, puck handling, touch, etc. Every possession it’s dump, chase, net front. He’s like Mike Rasmussen. Great PKer. Elite level. Garbage-goal scorer. Size, quick, aggressive, but can’t create for shit.

He was Strome to NDN’s Panarin. Edstrom another U18 tournament darling. I have InStat. 90 percent of his goals were net-front/low slot after hard work/IQ from others.

I will shit if they take him at 23 and start smoking again. I’ll be almost as mad as I was with Lias and Olaf.

They need f***ing playmakers and dynamism. Edstrom is neither.
Who would you prefer and who does InStat suggest could be flying under the radar?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Seems like Rangers always do better with their skill picks and flop with the “oh, you’re gonna love the way he plays” types.

More, Rice, Carkner, Stewart, Brown, Malhotra, Jessinan, McIlrath, Gropp, Lias — all top picks for size or grit or toughness.

Have the Rangers ever drafted an R1 hit based on their junior play as tough or defense oriented? A David Backes or Tom Wilson? A Brooks Orpik or Regher or Phaneuf in R1? Staal is the only exception. The Callahans and Moores were outside of R1.

Seems like the vast majority of their hits in R1 and R2 had a visible skill component. I hope Drury understands that.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Seems like Rangers always do better with their skill picks and flop with the “oh, you’re gonna love the way he plays” types.

More, Rice, Carkner, Stewart, Brown, Malhotra, Jessinan, McIlrath, Gropp, Lias — all top picks for size or grit or toughness.

Have the Rangers ever drafted an R1 hit based on their junior play as tough or defense oriented? A David Backes or Tom Wilson? A Brooks Orpik or Regher or Phaneuf in R1? Staal is the only exception. The Callahans and Moores were outside of R1.

Seems like the vast majority of their hits in R1 and R2 had a visible skill component. I hope Drury understands that.
Schneider and Othmann are both recent 1st round "gonna love the way he plays" guys that seem like hits not misses. But I take your point, more misses than hits, even though guys like Rice and McIlrath may have been hits if not for severe injury. Injury IS more likely when you play like that so its a factor that should be considered.

Ritchie
Yager
Danielson
Moore
Heidt
Sawchyn
Nilsson
Wahlberg
I'll shit if they draft Oliver Moore. In a POSITIVE way. Hahaha.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I'd love Heidt, Musty or Brindley at 23

Musty yes but injuries could be a problem. Brindley I’m ok with too. Natural center. But I don’t take Brindley if Moore, Danielson, or Yager is available.

Just no, no, y no to:

Stramel
Edstrom
Nelson

I’d actually be ok with a dman or a goalie at 23 over those three. Nelson has the highest upside but he never centered a top-six line. Was a dman with Maple Grove then middle-six C with NTDP

Reactions: surlysailor

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Schneider and Othmann are both recent 1st round "gonna love the way he plays" guys that seem like hits not misses. But I take your point, more misses than hits, even though guys like Rice and McIlrath may have been hits if not for severe injury. Injury IS more likely when you play like that so its a factor that should be considered.

I'll shit if they draft Oliver Moore. In a POSITIVE way. Hahaha.

Othmann is buttery slick with the puck though. Lot of skill there. Moore would be a great pick. Maybe one of the best they could make at that spot

Reactions: bhamill

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
what ammo do we have to move up? to get 'our guy'.

Someone is going to slip to 23. Whether it's Sale, Cristall, Ritchie etc

Getting back into the 1st or early 2nd would be nice too... I keep seeing Sawchyn but isn't he a 2nd rounder?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I want them to go for upside, the team has no high upside prospects. Go after a guy who has a ton of upside, not some guy like Stramel who’s ceiling is middle 6 guy

Musty
Sawchyn
But
Simashov
Ritchie

Not interested in guys like Stramel for the exact reason you mentioned. Let's go for top talent.

I would definitely trade up for the right guy, like Oliver Moore or Matthew Wood.

what ammo do we have to move up?

Picks in future drafts

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Musty
Sawchyn
But
Simashov
Ritchie

Not interested in guys like Stramel for the exact reason you mentioned. Let's go for top talent.

I would definitely trade up for the right guy, like Oliver Moore or Matthew Wood.

Picks in future drafts
I'd give up a 2nd next year to move up this year.

COL 3rd, 2024 2nd and a prospect to move back into the 2023 2nd? Doesn't seem like enough

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would do terrible things to make sure Moore fell.

I keep coming back to Sawchyn though. Might be a bit of a reach but I just think there is a very good player in there

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
I see him as a 2nd rounder. Not early but mid to late. It's a pretty deep draft though. There are a lot of interesting players and by the second round not just forwards but defensemen and goalies too. Stramel will need to break out offensively next year. He's not Brady Tkachuk who yes did play on a deeper team but Brady also went from the draft to the NHL the next year and immediately made an impact. Stramel's not going to do anything like that. He needs more time to refine his game and prove that he's at least a very good college hockey player. He hasn't done that yet.
Like I said he is NOT Brady Tkachuk, yet you give me no reason WHY you don't like him. I agree, there are better players, which we discussed earlier. All players mature at different times.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
Musty yes but injuries could be a problem. Brindley I’m ok with too. Natural center. But I don’t take Brindley if Moore, Danielson, or Yager is available.

Just no, no, y no to:

Stramel
Edstrom
Nelson

I’d actually be ok with a dman or a goalie at 23 over those three. Nelson has the highest upside but he never centered a top-six line. Was a dman with Maple Grove then middle-six C with NTDP
What injury problems?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Quick question with Colorado having 27, 31 and 37 overall does 23 get us 31 and 37?
It definitely should. The price to move up from 26 to 22 to take Miller a few years ago was #47. I think 37 is fair value to move down 8 spots. But does Colorado do this? This would be an excellent maneuver by Drury if there's interest in Colorado's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad