Draft 2023 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
I wouldn't mind Musty who I really like but gut feeling it's Gavin Brindley who is familiar with one of the new Rangers coaches having played for U18 this past year for team USA. Brindley tenacious and hard worker. Seems like a fit. And has skills. Can skate too
You do realize that Brindley didn't start scoring until he was placed on a line with Fantilli. Check his stats before and after. Plus he's too small for a 1st round pick for the Rangers and has no special skills for a small player. He is a good skater. We have Berard and Sykora who are small. Can't have too many. There are other smallish skaters with better talent. Cristall - magic hands and phenomenal playmaker, Lardis- better skater and scorer (5'11") e.g. I can't see the NYR picking him in the 1st round.

Last edited:

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
Drafting Leonard?

With Kravtsov and Anderson, I'd only draft Europeans that actually are playing hockey in North America right now either whl, ohl, qmjhl or in high school or college that are willing to go to AHL
Michkov has too much baggage with his father being killed and all, plays in the KHL for how long - (why do you think his father was killed?) as long as Putin says so, reportedly has character issues. If he was playing in NA, that's a different story. The NYR past problems with Russians. You win games in the regular season with Russians, you win the Cup with NA. That said, he is a great talent, with issues

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Michkov has too much baggage with his father being killed and all, plays in the KHL for how long - (why do you think his father was killed?) as long as Putin says so, reportedly has character issues. If he was playing in NA, that's a different story. The NYR past problems with Russians. You win games in the regular season with Russians, you win the Cup with NA. That said, he is a great talent, with issues
Fedorov, Datsyuk, Kucherov just to name a few say hello!!!

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
Fedorov, Datsyuk, Kucherov just to name a few say hello!!!
They are the exceptions not the norm. There are plenty of Russian hockey players with excellent skills, it's the character issues that you have to put up with. Datsyuk is of Ukrainian origin. His parents probably got a one way ticket to Siberia.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
But couldn't Lundkvist play both sides? I am sure he that this season in Dallas.

Lundkvist was a frequent scratch for the Stars this year in the regular season and a healthy scratch for all of Dallas's 19 playoff games. For sure he's very much in the mix to make the Stars roster again next season but he is in no way a lock.

He's got to still figure out a two way NHL game that keeps him in the lineup full time. He certainly has offensive skill. This is more about playing better defensively.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
IMG_6521.jpeg

Anyone complaining if the board falls this way? Lol.

Jacques Strap

Aug 12, 2005
View attachment 721100

Anyone complaining if the board falls this way? Lol.

I think there are better options in the 2nd. Later on, it's a crap shoot. At 183, Cole Knuble is a good pick but needs to work on his skating. Brady Cleveland will probably go higher. We need somebody like Brady on the Rangers.

35 - David Edstrom, C
44 - Andrew Cristall - LW
51 - Nick Lardis, RW
178 - Zachary Nehring, RW
183 - Brady Cleveland, D "The Bleeder Leader" - “The best word I can use to describe Brady is tough. He’s a crazy tough kid and if you’re ever on the ice when he is, you have to keep your head up. Whether you’ve played against him before or it’s your first shift, you find out pretty quickly who he is because he doesn’t shy away from that physical element. You just don’t see many kids play like he does in today’s game and when you do have someone like Brady, it impacts the entire lineup. But I think the other big thing with Brady is his play in his own end. He’s got a great stick, he kills plays, he can skate and I thought he did a really good job moving pucks up for us. Plus he was someone we trusted a lot on the penalty kill. So with all of those and his physical element, he can add a dynamic that not every team has.” – Dan Muse, NTDP Head Coach

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Sather messes up Russia to get Michkov

Drury checks in on Lafreniere before the draft. Phyically shows up... and he has Nacho Cheese Doritos powder on his fingers and lips, looking pudgy... I'd consider using him to get a Leonard or Smith in the top5, not Michkov who is at least 3 years out

In a perfect world Lafreniere would be fully dedicated to being the best Hockey Player that he'd could be. That's the best scenario for us and him. If he doesn't show that 'desire', you have to cut bait before it's too late. If we could fenagle a deal with Montreal for their #5 for Smith or Leonard, I wouldn't be opposed to it.... just sad that our first 1OA turned out the way it did.

Reactions: Synergy27

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Drury checks in on Lafreniere before the draft. Phyically shows up... and he has Nacho Cheese Doritos powder on his fingers and lips, looking pudgy... I'd consider using him to get a Leonard or Smith in the top5, not Michkov who is at least 3 years out

In a perfect world Lafreniere would be fully dedicated to being the best Hockey Player that he'd could be. That's the best scenario for us and him. If he doesn't show that 'desire', you have to cut bait before it's too late. If we could fenagle a deal with Montreal for their #5 for Smith or Leonard, I wouldn't be opposed to it.... just sad that our first 1OA turned out the way it did.
Just for the record I gladly move Lafreniere for Michkov

We cry we want to be faster, Sale is fast. I'm going to keep pushing for him, hoping he is there at 23.
All depends on who is on the board

I think there are better options in the 2nd. Later on, it's a crap shoot. At 183, Cole Knuble is a good pick but needs to work on his skating. Brady Cleveland will probably go higher. We need somebody like Brady on the Rangers.

35 - David Edstrom, C
51 - Nick Lardis, RW
183 - Brady Cleveland, D "The Bleeder Leader" - “The best word I can use to describe Brady is tough. He’s a crazy tough kid and if you’re ever on the ice when he is, you have to keep your head up. Whether you’ve played against him before or it’s your first shift, you find out pretty quickly who he is because he doesn’t shy away from that physical element. You just don’t see many kids play like he does in today’s game and when you do have someone like Brady, it impacts the entire lineup. But I think the other big thing with Brady is his play in his own end. He’s got a great stick, he kills plays, he can skate and I thought he did a really good job moving pucks up for us. Plus he was someone we trusted a lot on the penalty kill. So with all of those and his physical element, he can add a dynamic that not every team has.” – Dan Muse, NTDP Head Coach
I’d be fine with Edstrom there. I’m not touching Cristall. Just don’t think he translates to NHL at all. I just see another Nic Petan. I’m out. Lardis I like but again it depends on what’s on the board. Feel like he’s be good value there but depends who else is around

Reactions: savebyrichter94

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA

35 - David Edstrom, C
51 - Nick Lardis, RW
I like Cleveland and the connection is there as you pointed out
45BD319F-8302-4979-AE98-BE8AE17734B7.jpeg

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Why isn’t this kid getting more hype? He reminds me of Dion Phaneuf.

I like the player quite a lot.

Morin likes to hit. You can see him lining up guys ala Trouba. There's a big difference though. He's 18 and maybe 6' 185 lbs. A few years from now he's maybe 6'1 200. So I think you'll get a physical player for sure but I wouldn't expect he'll be creaming guys the same way.......though I've seen Erik Karlsson and Cale Maker throw some hellacious hits so.......still I think a Phaneuf comparable is reaching a bit.

He's got a very good offensive game. I like his shot too.....he's really good at changing the angles of his stick blade which can fool goalies. Strikes me as a guy who'll probably go late 30's to mid 50's (or a 2nd rounder). There are year's he'd realistically be a 1st but I don't think this is one of them.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Ryan Leonard is what this team needs, but there is no way that’s happening. Someone like him would be nice.

I’d be ok with most of McKenzies guys whos are there at 23, but I agree with Crypto I’d steer clear of the Russians/Euros just because this team has had horrible luck going that route, for the most part.

If a kid drops to 23 from a tier above I’d go that route unless there is significant interest from another team who’s willing to move up and spend a 2nd and a 3rd or the like to get it done.

Like Crow said, this is a deep draft and having two or 3 picks in the top 60 would be beneficial to restocking some of what’s graduated and been traded recently. Especially with Muse and Peca in the organization.

If they stick at 23, they need skaters. I like Mustys game but there are too many players on the current roster who aren’t great skaters. So whoever it is, get a guy who can push the pace or make it easy on themselves defending. (Personally I’d target a forward, C/RW where we are)

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
No Russian forwards. No undersized Swedish defensemen. No “skating issues.” No maturity issues. I have nothing against the kids, but I questions whose evaluating these kids overseas.

Don’t try to be the smartest person in the room.

I was told Lias Andersson and Lafreniere were both future captain. One is a mental midget and the other hasn’t shown that fire yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad