Draft 2023 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
NHL.com has when the first goalie was selected in the last 10 drafts. All I have to say is ugh.

View attachment 721272
You mean you are still unhappy about using a premium pick on a goalie who has never broken 0.900 SVP in any league he’s played in? I can’t imagine why.

In fairness, I wanted Bode Wilde with that pick and he’s busted hard.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Drury checks in on Lafreniere before the draft. Phyically shows up... and he has Nacho Cheese Doritos powder on his fingers and lips, looking pudgy... I'd consider using him to get a Leonard or Smith in the top5, not Michkov who is at least 3 years out

In a perfect world Lafreniere would be fully dedicated to being the best Hockey Player that he'd could be. That's the best scenario for us and him. If he doesn't show that 'desire', you have to cut bait before it's too late. If we could fenagle a deal with Montreal for their #5 for Smith or Leonard, I wouldn't be opposed to it.... just sad that our first 1OA turned out the way it did.

You think Lafrenière and 23rd overall gets you into the top-5?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Imo, that's even a bad deal for NYR. Top 4 should be impossible to get into.

Laf alone should be worth the 5th ov. But then again, I wouldn't trade him anyhow.
There is no way Laf gets you in the top 5 as we sit here today. He’s been disappointing AND his ELC is completed.

When’s the last time a top 5 pick was dealt for an underperforming former top pick?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
There is no way Laf gets you in the top 5 as we sit here today. He’s been disappointing AND his ELC is completed.

When’s the last time a top 5 pick was dealt for an underperforming former top pick?

That underperforming is being overblown because of the expectation we had for him and the rather sub-optimal deployment he had on the roster so far (bottom-6, no PP).

If you look at his draft class, he's as of now a top 5 player from that draft ... so yeah. The boards perception of Laf is certainly not the perception within the real league.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
That underperforming is being overblown because of the expectation we had for him and the rather sub-optimal deployment he had on the roster so far (bottom-6, no PP).

If you look at his draft class, he's as of now a top 5 player from that draft ... so yeah. The boards perception of Laf is certainly not the perception within the real league.
I think it’s less deployment and more the way he sucks wind out there. I certainly wouldn’t call him a bust, but he’s absolutely been disappointing.

His deployment has been suboptimal because he can’t outplay the guys in front of him.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I think it’s less deployment and more the way he sucks wind out there. I certainly wouldn’t call him a bust, but he’s absolutely been disappointing.

His deployment has been suboptimal because he can’t outplay the guys in front of him.

Again, relative to his draft position, that's most of the disappointment. He had some gorgeous goals and flashes of great playmaking and he got some dekes up his sleeve.

Regarding outplaying: well, there were enough times the past two years, where Kreider and or Bread stunk it up to heaven and weren't given less ice-time for it.

And afaic the NYR for some f***ing reason ALWAYS play the higher salary player. Hell, they even have them play severely injured, to the point of being a detriment to the team on the ice.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

Kessel to TOR? Although his 3rd season in Boston was good after a lackluster first 2...

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
You mean you are still unhappy about using a premium pick on a goalie who has never broken 0.900 SVP in any league he’s played in? I can’t imagine why.

In fairness, I wanted Bode Wilde with that pick and he’s busted hard.
I think what I didn't realize was that he was the highest goalie selected in the draft. Makes it a little worse. Lol

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Kessel to TOR? Although his 3rd season in Boston was good after a lackluster first 2...

Yes, and that trade was made the year before the draft pick was actually used. The Leafs never intended to finish that low.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I like Cleveland and the connection is there as you pointed outView attachment 721171
I appreciate everyone giving their takes on these potential draftees as I know very little about them. I saw some of the U18, U20 tourneys but it’s not like I was taking notes. So THANK YOU everyone.

I’m okay with “reaching“ for Cleveland anywhere from the third round on. I love players who hit.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Musty
Ritchie
Endstrom
Stramel
Stenberg

No particular order. One of those forwards. The Rangers could use a defenseman but this draft is loaded in forwards, Take BPA.
Stramel would be one of the few picks at 23 that would make me throw my remote through the TV. Endstrom would be a reach at 23 given who else would likely be on the board but I wouldn't hate it. The other three would be fine to me.

If a player like Yager, Benson, Barlow, Danielson, or Perreault drops to 23, that's a home run.

Sale is a prospect you gamble on if your cupboard is already well situated. The Rangers can't afford to miss on this pick. But if Sale hits, my goodness, he will hit.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Stramel would be one of the few picks at 23 that would make me throw my remote through the TV. Endstrom would be a reach at 23 given who else would likely be on the board but I wouldn't hate it. The other three would be fine to me.

If a player like Yager, Benson, Barlow, Danielson, or Perreault drops to 23, that's a home run.

Sale is a prospect you gamble on if your cupboard is already well situated. The Rangers can't afford to miss on this pick. But if Sale hits, my goodness, he will hit.
Endstrom isn’t a reach. Stramel played for an awful team at Wisconsin. Granato got fired. Wisconsin hired Mike Hastings from Minnesota State. They had a very good program with Hastings. He is a better coach the Granato. He runs a better program.

Reactions: Jacques Strap

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Endstrom isn’t a reach. Stramel played for an awful team at Wisconsin. Granato got fired. Wisconsin hired Mike Hastings from Minnesota State. They had a very good program with Hastings. He is a better coach the Granato. He runs a better program.
Not disagreeing with your assessment of the Wisconsin program. I just don't see a top 6 forward when I watch Stramel highlights. I see him as more of a 3rd line checker/4th line player at the next level. There will be better players with higher upside available at 23. No issues with the player, but he's a type of player you take in the 2nd and 3rd round that you hope can exceed projections. Not in the 1st round when you're looking for top 6 and top 4 talents.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
View attachment 721100

Anyone complaining if the board falls this way? Lol.

Would be nice but I just don't see Chicago realistically giving us three 2nd's for the 23rd overall. Draftsim's values are a little bit off IMO. I think the 35 and 51 and maybe the 93 would be about what we could get and that would be okay for me because this draft is kind of deep and even the 93 should be a pretty decent player.

Reactions: Synergy27

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Stramel would be a terrible pick, and he’s consistently been underperforming at every level he’s played. A kid his with his size and skating couldn’t even take hold with the USNTDP, and he was extremely disappointing when I saw him in Wisconsin.

I’ve never liked his game or understood the hype. He’s big and can skate, but so can Nick Bjugstad and Julien Gauthier. You’re probably getting a similar outcome with him there from a production standpoint. He’ll be an NHL player, but it’ll be as a bottom-6 guy rather than a top-6 player.

I’d be fine with the other guys like Musty, Ritchie, and Stenberg. Ritchie would fit perfectly here, and I think he’s going to be a really good player. If Yager falls a bit like Steven Ellis keeps mocking, we should move up to nab him.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Stramel would be a terrible pick, and he’s consistently been underperforming at every level he’s played. A kid his with his size and skating couldn’t even take hold with the USNTDP, and he was extremely disappointing when I saw him in Wisconsin.

I’ve never liked his game or understood the hype. He’s big and can skate, but so can Nick Bjugstad and Julien Gauthier. You’re probably getting a similar outcome with him there from a production standpoint. He’ll be an NHL player, but it’ll be as a bottom-6 guy rather than a top-6 player.

I’d be fine with the other guys like Musty, Ritchie, and Stenberg. Ritchie would fit perfectly here, and I think he’s going to be a really good player. If Yager falls a bit like Steven Ellis keeps mocking, we should move up to nab him.
Right now Musty(tho I hope Ritchie if he's actually on the board) is the guy I see NYR taking. Most realistic option of still being on the board, seems like a Drury type of pick. I'd like Sale if he's still on the ball but I feel Drury is going back to the Sather/Clark days. Reaching for high floor guys instead of gambles. Othamnn will be an NHLer, 3rd line at worst and anything better is gravy. Sykora very good chance of being an nhler but again if he gets into the top 6 great. I view Musty as a Kreider like pick. Might not be explosive, but will be an NHLer and a big body(which NYR haven't pick since Drury). Though I hope Drury doesn't pick Gauthier, seems like a huge reach in the first but after the playoffs I can see him reaching for another banger who stats are very misleading, esp in the Q.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Am I just now realizing that the NHL Draft is taking place on Wednesday and Thursday?
2CFFFCDC-D59F-4BB7-B2D7-4741D40ACA90.gif

:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: