Player Discussion Marner Talk

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The system held what back?
The system that held boston to 16 goals on a goalie? 2.28 goals against
The system that let nylander score 3 goals in 4 games? Stop trying to deflect onto others, they are already getting their fair share of criticism but it seems only Marner has his huge portion deflected off him

The others did something, Marner played and it was as if he wasn’t even there, would’ve been better tbh

Nylander game 6 did more than Marner did this entire series

Matthews game 2 did more than Marner has done the last two series’s

Woll is elite as f*** whenever he plays but he’s a backup

I can’t point at anything Marner did that series and say, that’s why he is paid 11 million. For a drop pass for a one timer? For a cross ice pass? He never dictated play, he shied away from contact and the greasy areas and elected to pass it out to others instead of doing it himself. That’s not a good playoff performer.
Cowan will be better in the playoffs. We need to dump Marner if we can. He is overpaid, greedy, soft and spoiled. Nylander called him a baby. Him and his dad blackmailed the Leafs and his selfishness should not be forgiven. He is a cancer and the team is better without him.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1715557289754.png

Please please

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Marner is automatically a bad contract. Its addition by subtraction.

The way I see it. Nylander should have probably made 8m in hindsight and MM about 9m. We underpaid WN and overpaid MM. If MM were to agree to take a 9.5m 10m now for term it would be ok. Limited NMC as well.

He wont do that though. I would also consider 11m x8 and no NMC. Limited sure.
No. WTF's wrong with you?

no need to be sassy and i fully understand moving out Marner means we'll add his return to the lineup and distribute his cap hit throughout the line up

but the point people are ignoring is that we can't just click our heels and magically add the pieces we need which are

-num 1 goalie or at least a co num 1
-a top pair D
-a middle pair D
-a top 6 forward , preferably a 2nd line C
-quality depth in the bottom 6

i'd rather keep my 90 plus pt play driving winger who is good defensively and instead move the grossly overpaid underperforming aging C and use his 11m cap hit to plug some of the holes
P L A Y O F F P E R F O R M A N C E is a thing.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Chicago has 30m plus in cap space for next season and Utah has 40m plus , whether they'd want JT or he'd go there is another topic but they could easily add his cap hit for a season
Then they can easily add Marner's cap hit. Cool.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I think you would have to count on another team thinking that a) just making the playoffs would be a good first step. Think Ottawa, Detroit and Buffalo for example of teams who fail to even be at the Leafs level. And b) you think of a team with other strengths that feels like Marner could be well supported to be more useful to them than us. Like the Islanders or something.
Doesn't matter. Marner isn't worth his current money, let alone a raise, anywhere.

Francis246 if you're not a registered media troll on this forum; you sure as hell sound like one. What is wrong with his press conference. IMO, if he says what he is actually feeling, the mask that is MLSE will be exposed and all can then see the matrix is alive and well. This team has many very good pieces. Too bad they have no system in place that will bring them success. Despite a lack of proper development they almost beat Boston(who has an excellent system)in the first round. IMO book makers now run the NHL. They dictate who sits and who plays. Willy is absent 3 games. Matthews 2 games when Willy returns. Woll the rest of the series after shutting out the Bruins for 59:59. No media question directed at the players about their absence. And we all just accep it as though nothing is wrong. Wake up people..
Hi Rocket Security!

Reactions: BM14 and LeafSteel

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
He might... but I'd be willing to bet he would try to make it on their terms. He keeps an A, plays with Matthews. They announce he took a team friendly discount "to win".

The possibility of always beinf recognized amongst the Leaf greats and having a banner in the building has to be very enticing, especially for Paul. I'm sure it's his dream. Not to mention the continued development of the Marner Assist Foundation... which employs the entire family. What are they going to do if that disappears? Get real jobs? Marner gonna hand them money out of his paycheck? I'm sure the foundation and post career opportunities in Toronto provide an opportunity to continue to make alot of money after retirement at the young age of 37ish. Not to mention all the endorsement deals, his businesses (he just opened a restaurant with Kevin Oleary), the God like treatment... people talk about the tax issues, however his foundation could be a 40-40% write offs for taxes I read.

Imagine whether it would mean to have a statue of yourself?

He accepts 10 million, all the above still is a possibilty and hes now the "good guy" without the huge pressure. He also gets an 8th year... which is huge because there are incredible risks to trying to prove yourself without Matthews or taking just 7 years. Tavares for example, would've had another year at 11 mill at least (San Jose was rumored to be 13+ per year). Now people are saying 5-6mill on his next contract, which would've been his 8th year.

Though if I'm Toronto, I move him pretty much no matter what.
Marner ain't worth 5 million let alone 10 to a team the wants to win a Cup. What are people smokin'?

Reactions: BM14

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
The system held what back?
The system that held boston to 16 goals on a goalie? 2.28 goals against
The system that let nylander score 3 goals in 4 games? Stop trying to deflect onto others, they are already getting their fair share of criticism but it seems only Marner has his huge portion deflected off him

The others did something, Marner played and it was as if he wasn’t even there, would’ve been better tbh

Nylander game 6 did more than Marner did this entire series

Matthews game 2 did more than Marner has done the last two series’s

Woll is elite as f*** whenever he plays but he’s a backup

I can’t point at anything Marner did that series and say, that’s why he is paid 11 million. For a drop pass for a one timer? For a cross ice pass? He never dictated play, he shied away from contact and the greasy areas and elected to pass it out to others instead of doing it himself. That’s not a good playoff performer.
So you deny something is afoot when 3 key contributors miss games for no apparent reason? You might, but I don't believe in coincidences.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Francis246 if you're not a registered media troll on this forum; you sure as hell sound like one. What is wrong with his press conference. IMO, if he says what he is actually feeling, the mask that is MLSE will be exposed and all can then see the matrix is alive and well. This team has many very good pieces. Too bad they have no system in place that will bring them success. Despite a lack of proper development they almost beat Boston(who has an excellent system)in the first round. IMO book makers now run the NHL. They dictate who sits and who plays. Willy is absent 3 games. Matthews 2 games when Willy returns. Woll the rest of the series after shutting out the Bruins for 59:59. No media question directed at the players about their absence. And we all just accep it as though nothing is wrong. Wake up people..
Lol... it's all a conspiracy.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Sure technically you are correct but if you look at the regulation wins, we had 1 more than Washington which got the last wildcard spot. Sure we had 3 more regulation wins than the Islanders but they played in the metro and finished 3rd. We got a handful of points by going to OT. If we were just a little worse we could have missed them last season. We aren’t as good as many believe, we would have missed the playoffs with a few bad bounces and a couple of more posts. So yeah if we didn’t have Mitch last season we could have missed.
The reason we were so close to not making it was because of the massive dump Sammy took on the team when he lost his mind for awhile

Reactions: LeafSteel

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto

Next thing they will us is NASA landed on the moon.

Sep 18, 2009
you're kiddin right

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Marner ain't worth 5 million let alone 10 to a team the wants to win a Cup. What are people smokin'?

But he got really lucky with a pass to Knies that should have been picked and is picked many times in the the playoffs before.

Then he scored a beautiful goal when the game is already over.

Then he passed the puck to the blueline.

That's more of a performance for one game, not 7.

But, last year he put up a bunch of lucky point shots in meaningless situations throughout game 1-4 then disappeared for the REST OF THE POSTSEASON.

God I don't want to hate on Marner, it doesn't make me happy or something. It's just so blatantly obvious people aren't watching the same real life reality game I'm watching.

If people are interested and willing to pay him 12mil +, he's gonna waive for sure.

Now we need to get either a top 4 D or a top 6 F and some picks.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
This guy ain’t waiving his NMC. Forget about it
he's COULD play the victim card.
"i had to hire security to deal with fan vitriol"

Surely he needs to see the situation: it's untenable for fans and himself.

Marner has sold alot of jerseys but change is needed. The Dubas dream is dead. The Big4 will never have playoff success ... the mix doesnt work.

It should also be clear: Tre picked Nylander. Over Mitch.

We can't have two right wingers making 12+

To cover for Mitch's huge salary, the Leafs skimp on areas like D and G. The idea is Mitch will generate so much offence that we will outscore our problems. Well .... we couldnt score. Like previous years.

Ultimately a team of 4 overpaid players, leaves little to make a team. Would you want to be on a sales team where one player makes 13 times more than you ? There is no way Marner is 13 times as important as Knies. The overpaid 4 leave little money around for others to make a living.

The Leafs aren't a team. They are The Big 4 + scraps.

Terrible way to make "a team".

For Marner to stay he needs to take a significant pay cut. If not, he needs to be traded. Do yourself a favor Mitch: waive the NMC. It's not worth the misery you'll endure. If you wait out the contract, you'll endure a year of "driving your own line". And people will see you for your skillset: a great passer, a great teammate, an inventive guy during the regular season, a good PKer (until this year). Missing: NHL shot, cannot drive a line, performs poorly under pressure, easily intimidated in the playoffs, a proven track record of underperforming in PLAYOFF hockey. CONCLUSION: A significant COMPLIMENTARY piece. Max: 9.5AAV.

Marner will regret waiting out his contract. It's clear he wont be able to take it. He's just going to drive down his value by looking like a crap show out there. During pressure in the playoffs the guy can't handle the puck. Expect the same during the regular season next year. He also needs to understand that the team controls the media. If the team decides to pressure him via the media: "They can and they will".

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
You have a fine eye brother lol.

I wish I coulda been around in the 60s to witness real men play the game. I can't believe these fairies today need "social media protection"... f***ing soft.
I was and players were paid so little they had to have summer jobs to supplement their income. The Leaf owners owned a gravel yard and some players drove gravel trucks or Beer trucks. Most players made about $8-10K a year which was more than the average person but not by a lot. Some worked at hockey camps to supplement their incomes. I was fortunate enough to attend two of them and got to meet some of my heroes there. The players from the 50-70’s were the best. Just regular guys a lot of whom I got to know better after they retired. They would hang out, buy you a beer. Shoot the shit and never acted like they were any better than anybody else. The huge money and parents coddling their kids has changed hockey. If a coach game me shit, my dad sided with the coach. We learned to respect authority and be a good teammate. No player agents for teenagers and the parents and agents certainly didn’t wield the power over their kid’s professional fortunes the way they do now.

Last edited:

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
But he got really lucky with a pass to Knies that should have been picked and is picked many times in the the playoffs before.

Then he scored a beautiful goal when the game is already over.

Then he passed the puck to the blueline.

That's more of a performance for one game, not 7.

But, last year he put up a bunch of lucky point shots in meaningless situations throughout game 1-4 then disappeared for the REST OF THE POSTSEASON.

God I don't want to hate on Marner, it doesn't make me happy or something. It's just so blatantly obvious people aren't watching the same real life reality game I'm watching.

If people are interested and willing to pay him 12mil +, he's gonna waive for sure.

Now we need to get either a top 4 D or a top 6 F and some picks.
Yeah his stats aren’t great in games 5-7 but neither are Matthews. But Marner needs to go. Too small and soft to be effective when the games ratchet up the intensity.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Marner will approve a trade, if not outright ask for one. He’s not stupid. He knows he’s being torn to pieces by this fan base. He didn’t look like he was having much fun this year.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Marner will approve a trade, if not outright ask for one. He’s not stupid. He knows he’s being torn to pieces by this fan base. He didn’t look like he was having much fun this year.
I think this is right. I will be surprised if he doesn't agree to a trade.

Reactions: Macman

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
I must be in the minority here but I think you keep Mitch and John and see how they perform under the new coach. With a coaching change there are players that over-perform and some don't perform as well. If either of those two have a boost either in points, physical play or any other area the coach wants them to then it's a win.

If they don't they only have one more season each.

I think (ATM) that Mitch will perform well and resign. John well lets see how steep his decline is this year, I could see him resigning for 4ish million if he has another season like last. I could also see the Leafs offering him the Spezza contract for a year. It all depends on how he does this coming season.

Reactions: Confucius

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I must be in the minority here but I think you keep Mitch and John and see how they perform under the new coach. With a coaching change there are players that over-perform and some don't perform as well. If either of those two have a boost either in points, physical play or any other area the coach wants them to then it's a win.

If they don't they only have one more season each.

I think (ATM) that Mitch will perform well and resign. John well lets see how steep his decline is this year, I could see him resigning for 4ish million if he has another season like last. I could also see the Leafs offering him the Spezza contract for a year. It all depends on how he does this coming season.
You risk him walking for nothing or having to overpay him. Cut bait as soon as possible. I think the writing is on the wall at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad