Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Cashman actually cooking?
IMG_2126.jpeg

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
MLB trades are so weird. This is like trading McDavid for a few decent prospects. I know it’s a rental, but Jesus.

Yes, but in this analogy, the Oilers are also broke because their owner died and the salary cap doesn't exist.

The Yankees are one of the few teams that can pay the market value for Soto in UFA. I guess the Padres figure they might as well get some assets for him while they can.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Soto at Yankee Stadium can do some absurd things potentially. Only entering his prime. What will good old John Sterling come up with? Lol

Reactions: My3Sons

lightsout

Jul 27, 2007
It's twice the average annual salary of Trout's contract, nearly double the total money of Judge's deal, and more than 2.5 times the average annual salary of Harper's deal. It's an absolutely absurd contract.

Imagine a new hack-a-Shaq where teams just walk Ohtani every time. $70 million a year to see teams just put him on first every time.

Incharge1976

Mar 4, 2011
$432,000 per game.... glad the cubs didnt fall for this scam

Yes but hearing it's heavily deferred to evade the luxury tax. I'm going to laugh if it's something like a 25 year payout. Baseball really needs to average out the salaries for the luxury tax because the Dodgers will still be in on Yamamoto if they are paying him something ridiculously low like $30M out of the $70 in the first X amount of years.

Reactions: njdevils1982

lightsout

Jul 27, 2007
10 years and $350 million is right around what the top players have gotten the past few years. This deal has doubled that. It's mind boggling.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yes but hearing it's heavily deferred to evade the luxury tax. I'm going to laugh if it's something like a 25 year payout. Baseball really needs to average out the salaries for the luxury tax because the Dodgers will still be in on Yamamoto if they are paying him something ridiculously low like $30M out of the $70 in the first X amount of years.
Imagine if the Mets did this deal, the handwringing would be through the roof about how it’s bad for baseball and how dare we find a workaround to effectively get a much higher luxury tax. But since it’s the Dodgers and Magic, all good!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
am i missing something? LAD is just above league average while the NY teams are both in the top 3

View attachment 780627
They cleared payroll for Ohtani last year, there’s no way that’s current as of today - his point is you never hear about the Dodgers spending even though they’ve been above the Yankees a lot in the last decade while the Mets have had effectively one year of being a ‘villain’ (and a cartoon character villain at that for all the good it did us) yet they get so much more handwringing than the West Coast Godzilla

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
They cleared payroll for Ohtani last year, there’s no way that’s current as of today - his point is you never hear about the Dodgers spending even though they’ve been above the Yankees a lot in the last decade while the Mets have had effectively one year of being a ‘villain’ (and a cartoon character villain at that for all the good it did us) yet they get so much more handwringing than the West Coast Godzilla

just checked previous years....i see your point

thanks

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad