Rumor: 2023 Free Agency and Trade Rumors: Will Sleepy Mac wake up for the deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
No doubting Leafs are a great team but I think when Marner cried in the penalty box against Montreal their window was closed shut

• Haha
Reactions: Azrael89

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I think people are really underrating Toronto’s defense… it isn’t high end, but it is deep. Lilj is fantastic, Timmy is coming into his own, Brodie and Gio are old, but still legit top 4 guys. Sandin has legit top 4 talent if he gets going. Reilly is flawed, but no doubt a legit top pairing guy. They could certainly use Chychrun, but they have a lot of good depth that can rotate through games. Now they also have two very high end defensive centers and arguably the best defensive wing in the game.

Going for a goalie… not needed IMO. You can win with average goalies. Guys like Vasi can cover up a lot of issues, but those guys are rare and Toronto doesn’t have the cap to fit it. Better for them to build up elsewhere.
I agree their D is underrated but it's rather soft for playoff hockey. They could use a guy like Manson back there (Schenn?). i think ROR is a shrewd move by Dubas because in his position on that team it's like adding another defenseman. So while their D isn't weak it certainly isn't a strength. And you can win with average goaltending when you have an elite #1 dman/team defense. The Leafs don't have that.

A Murry/Samsonov tandem is a scary thing to hinge your success on. Samsonov is rocking a .907% in his 7 career playoff games and Murray in his last 19 has a .909. Certainly not world-beating numbers, and it's not like they have a couple of easy rounds to find their groove. Are they good enough to get past Tampa? Perhaps, but only because Hedman has been a shell of himself this season. Beyond that anything can happen, but I still don't see them winning the cup with the current makeup in goal.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I agree their D is underrated but it's rather soft for playoff hockey. They could use a guy like Manson back there (Schenn?). i think ROR is a shrewd move by Dubas because in his position on that team it's like adding another defenseman. So while their D isn't weak it certainly isn't a strength. And you can win with average goaltending when you have an elite #1 dman/team defense. The Leafs don't have that.

A Murry/Samsonov tandem is a scary thing to hinge your success on. Samsonov is rocking a .907% in his 7 career playoff games and Murray in his last 19 has a .909. Certainly not world-beating numbers, and it's not like they have a couple of easy rounds to find their groove. Are they good enough to get past Tampa? Perhaps, but only because Hedman has been a shell of himself this season. Beyond that anything can happen, but I still don't see them winning the cup with the current makeup in goal.
Then there's this element.

Maybe it's changed?

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Ya, overall it's just a pretty soft lineup. Loaded with skill but not sure they can manage the grind. Still, could see them making the ECF or even SCF because it's not like the other top teams in the East are overly physical. Tampa will be the test for sure.

I'd still put money on Tampa coming out of the east.

I'd like for Toronto and Tampa to have a rivalry. But Tampa isn't just going to roll over for anyone. And they're still great. Nevermind the regular season.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
No doubt that Toronto got two good players and O'Reilly helps them defensively given his solid two-way play but their blue line doesn't scare me and even if Tampa made zero moves I'd still like their chances over the Leafs.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
I think ROR is a perfect pickup for Toronto. Yes he’s obviously aging and having an off year but he’s had some bad luck with teammates finishing. Stepping in as a 3C couldn’t be more perfect for him. I see Toronto beating Tampa fairly easily. That said, it’s Toronto so

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Going to TOR which is a SC contender, playing for his childhood team and in front of family will most likely give ROR quite a boost IMO. Strong down the middle as far as talent is concerned but they are also slow at that position. It will still be very difficult for them to get out of the East.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
We could probably get Kerfoot for free from Toronto if desired.
You have to think about the consequences on the HF main board. There will still be threads for Toronto trading Kerfoot just so they can re-live the thrill of actually and finally getting rid of him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Toronto on paper looks better than Boston. I don't believe in either team's goaltending but I believe in the Leafs players more because I think a lot of what Boston has done this season is unsustainable, especially come playoff time

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I think it’s gonna be a quiet deadline for the avs.

We spend a lot of time looking at centers

Who is the singer available to pot goals?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Who reported that Dubas questions the idea of trading a 1st for rentals?

If Friedman is right less than 10% of the time, that doesn't mean he's accurate when he finally gets one right. It's not like he's Schefter or Wojo.

Who is underrating Toronto's defense?
Pretty much everyone here that is saying their defense sucks. It doesn’t suck… it just isn’t great.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
The Avs need to find any player who can score goals at this point. The 2nd and 3rd lines are just useless.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I’m not threatened by Toronto. Their Cs except Matthews are aging and their backend isn’t strong. Tampa will eat them.
Yes Yoronto aren't going anywhere , not beating Tampa or the Bruins

Never gonna happen.

If their goaltending holds up and the important players stay healthy, Toronto should take care of Tampa. The Bolts’ best chance is if Vasilevskiy goes full beast mode.
Don't think so and they will never beat the Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad