Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Boston legit had one of the worst failures we've seen in recent memory. To the point where I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more and to me it's an even bigger story than Vegas winning it all. Historic regular season, Selke, Vezina, Jack Adams, top 5 Hart, top 5 Norris, traded futures at the TDL, last hurrah for one of the greatest players in franchise history, etc. All to blow a 3-1 lead in the first round to the 8th seed. That black mark is going to stay with you unless you can come back and win it all, which I highly doubt they'll be doing.
Obviously they had one of the best, if not the best RS‘s of all time. But I feel like that was a bit of an anomaly considering the team they had. Obviously they had a very talented roster and some high end pieces, but I feel like that roster wasn’t really as good as their RS was. Contender worth sure, but I don’t know if it’s better than the Avs or Lightning teams that won cups recently.

Obviously in the end a bit of a failure not getting past the first round, but they were setting themselves up for failure with their unsustainable regular season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Obviously they had one of the best, if not the best RS‘s of all time. But I feel like that was a bit of an anomaly considering the team they had. Obviously they had a very talented roster and some high end pieces, but I feel like that roster wasn’t really as good as their RS was. Contender worth sure, but I don’t know if it’s better than the Avs or Lightning teams that won cups recently.

Obviously in the end a bit of a failure not getting past the first round, but they were setting themselves up for failure with their unsustainable regular season.

The thing is, I don't even think Vegas was that good. The chokers choked, and then Vegas just walked over the bones of the West right up to the podium.

On paper at least, they looked way stronger.

Reactions: thedoctor

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Boston legit had one of the worst failures we've seen in recent memory. To the point where I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more and to me it's an even bigger story than Vegas winning it all. Historic regular season, Selke, Vezina, Jack Adams, top 5 Hart, top 5 Norris, traded futures at the TDL, last hurrah for one of the greatest players in franchise history, etc. All to blow a 3-1 lead in the first round to the 8th seed. That black mark is going to stay with you unless you can come back and win it all, which I highly doubt they'll be doing.
Media would have rather brought up the Avs losing to Seattle over that.

F*** em all.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Was that the Kariya Selanee year? That would explain why I have very little memory of it.

Yeah, maybe it's just how damn dominant SJ was though. It was legit fun hockey to watch too, and then poof they go in the playoffs every year. You could definitely add Winnipeg in there though, and that shit might eventually break that franchise. If Winnipeg had won, they'd likely have the support for a rebuild.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Hour and a half.

It's good. And a bit sad, because the idea of something like that being made (about us or any other team) now is just unthinkable.

Yeah, they don't even put that much work into the Stanley Cup videos. Although some add scientists probably told ESPN everyone has ADD now so keep it short, and keep your money.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd rather share needles on skid row than watch that.

I'm at least that smart. I remember my HS buddy giving me the run down.

tumblr_md28qxI6xf1rk3e5io1_500.gif

Reactions: henchman21

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
That 03/04 season was troubling. But there were a few games, early on in the regular season, where they looked like you would think a roster with that lineup should look. When your top six is Forsberg, Sakic, Kariya, Selanne, Hejduk and Tanguay...that's dominate. As long as Alex can stay onside.

I actually wish I could find a game from that season to watch online. Anyone know of any? Or maybe a good highlight reel from the year?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That 03/04 season was troubling. But there were a few games, early on in the regular season, where they looked like you would think a roster with that lineup should look. When your top six is Forsberg, Sakic, Kariya, Selanne, Hejduk and Tanguay...that's dominate. As long as Alex can stay onside.

I actually wish I could find a game from that season to watch online. Anyone know of any? Or maybe a good highlight reel from the year?
hellraiser-pinhead.gif

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This may sound a bit weird... but I think you highlighted why it was more of a success than a failure. Yeah they didn't win a Cup, but that was very unlikely from the start (there's a load management lesson in there)... but they had one hell of a season from a lot of different players and I don't think you can argue that they didn't do everything they could to send Bergeron and Krejci out on top. It didn't work, but damn if they didn't have a great season and they put their best foot forward.

The biggest one season failure in recent history to me is 18-19 Tampa. Great team, was playing very well, thought they had it wrapped up to only lose their mind and get swept. It just gets forgotten about because they came back to win back to back Cups.

Biggest one season failure in my mind ever though is 03-04 Avs. Nothing will ever hurt as much as that. :laugh:

I don't think anyone really trusted their goaltending but they had three elite forwards, an elite top pair (people might disagree but I love Lindholm), solid center depth, and solid overall forward depth. They might have overachieved in the reg season but then they also went and added the grease ball from the Wings and Orlov at the TDL. You add the blown 3-1 lead on top of that and I can't look at it as anything but a failure.

Also, **** Granato.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I mean I’d take having to sit through the 03-04 over sitting through watching 16-17.

I know the result of 16-17 ended up being Makar, but damn was that tough to watch

Reactions: sethro109

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I mean I’d take having to sit through the 03-04 over sitting through watching 16-17.

I know the result of 16-17 ended up being Makar, but damn was that tough to watch
16-17 was incredibly frustrating. We had a TON of close games that we always seem to f*** up in the 3rd. I hate that year with every fiber of my being.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

To me it is worse to have high expectations and have them ripped from you. It’s like getting to 2nd base with Margot Robbie and then just having her walk out and ghost you.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Even in spite of the injuries, Colorado was in 1st place (32-12-10-4) in the entire NHL on February 17th, 2004.

Lacroix made (7) trades after that date and the team stunk down the stretch (8-10-3-3). Those two facts are not necessarily related, but worth noting.

OutIn
KrestanovichBala
Barnaby
Gratton
Hendrickson
Bahen
Ballard
Gilbert
Liffiton
Morris
Skoula
Boughner
Sauer
Vaananen
Salo
2004 2nd
2004 3rd
2005 4th
2005 5th
2004 3rd
2005 2nd
2005 4th
2005 6th
2004 8th

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
My concern with Boston last year was their age and the wear and tear that comes along with it. I frankly think that is what did them in. I was cautious all year on the with their age, but they had a last dance sort of vibe.

This all stems down to how hard it is to actually win a Cup with old teams. Vegas was the oldest team to win the Cup in like 7 years... and they were mid 28s. That is with some ringer age guys too like Quick and Kessell who really didn't do anything for them down the stretch.
I was worried about both Boston's and Vegas' goaltending in the playoffs. One took a dump, one didn't.

On the team age thing, how is that calculated? Do they simply use the full 23 player roster?

If so, I wonder if a better way to do it, would be to calculate the "important" players. Top6/Top4/StartingG. Or maybe Top9/Top4/StartingG. Leave out the deeper depth and the scrubs.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I was worried about both Boston's and Vegas' goaltending in the playoffs. One took a dump, one didn't.

On the team age thing, how is that calculated? Do they simply use the full 23 player roster?

If so, I wonder if a better way to do it, would be to calculate the "important" players. Top6/Top4/StartingG. Or maybe Top9/Top4/StartingG. Leave out the deeper depth and the scrubs.
Agreed. I think the best way to measure age would be weighted by ice time.

If forward A plays 3 times as much as Forward B, his age should be worth 3 times the amount.
At least the age would be relative to the importance of the player on that team.

Reactions: Metallo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad