Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
So wait...Compher and Jost are gone so MacDermid is now the forum whipping boy? Is that how we are supposed to do it?

Just making sure we are all on the same page and regurgitating the same nonsense.
If MacDermid is now the whipping boy does that mean we actually have an amazing team? :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Only good thing about MacPunchy is he can be buried in the ECHL where he belongs with little consequence.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Sky IS falling mate......on 31 other clubs as the puck drops this season, and our AVS fire up :hit:
We are going to come at this season with all our guns firing.

It's going to be as satisfying as givin the ol' missus a thump in the duds on a Sundee arvo,
giphy.gif

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
That's not exactly a high bar to clear.

We'd all take my 38 year old ass and I can't skate, can't defend, can't hit, can't shoot, can't pass, have bad knees, a bad back, and I'm only 5'9.

But we'd all take me on the team in a heartbeat because I'd actively negotiate a lower salary than the league minimum and I'd still be making the most money in my entire life.
I'm a fair bit older than you, but with no bad knees or bad back, and I go 6' 207lbs. You're staying in Loveland! :sarcasm:

PS- The Avs should NEVER draft a center smaller than me unless the guy is better than Joe Sakic himself.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
On one hand, doing right by the players is great and it is nice to take care of them.

On the other hand, taking care of players in the midst of their regression and cap inefficiencies is one reason teams have windows slam shut. With Vegas, even if you know they may have you visit Lake Mead one day, you know they are doing everything they can to win. If winning is your top priority, hard to make a better case than Vegas.

I see both sides. I respect the pure treatment as a business and trying to win at all costs. I also find it pretty brutal for the players, once they are done with you, they throw you away like Andy does Woody.

A different way of putting it... is it better to be Pitt or Washington after their Cup, or is it better to be Vegas? Age out without a realistic chance at the Cup, but respect your guys who got you there.... or try to reload as quickly as possible to give another good shot?

Does Vegas really have anyone like Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin in a way that they should be that loyal?

I'd say a middle ground. The core can endure some rough years to retool, rather than contuations of bandaids that cripple your team.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Does Vegas really have anyone like Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin in a way that they should be that loyal?

I'd say a middle ground. The core can endure some rough years to retool, rather than contuations of bandaids that cripple your team.
Most teams that win a Cup are loyal to guys below that level too. In Pitt you have Letang who is close to that level, but they held onto Dumo and Horny for a while after. The Avs held on to Manson and Nuke and will be saddled with their regressions. Just a common thing for teams to do.

Vegas has guys who reach that level and they just haven't kept them around... they moved Smith almost immediately after the Cup win. If they need to, they'll move anybody else. Where I think they'd stop short is Stone who will LTIRetire.

I think it is relative to the age of the core. If your core is 22-25, you can withstand 2-3 bad years to build back up for a later run. If your core is 28-31, then you really can't withstand any bad years... it is now or never.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Most teams that win a Cup are loyal to guys below that level too. In Pitt you have Letang who is close to that level, but they held onto Dumo and Horny for a while after. The Avs held on to Manson and Nuke and will be saddled with their regressions. Just a common thing for teams to do.

Vegas has guys who reach that level and they just haven't kept them around... they moved Smith almost immediately after the Cup win. If they need to, they'll move anybody else. Where I think they'd stop short is Stone who will LTIRetire.

I think it is relative to the age of the core. If your core is 22-25, you can withstand 2-3 bad years to build back up for a later run. If your core is 28-31, then you really can't withstand any bad years... it is now or never.

Not that I have any real love for Boston, but it legit looked like they had a shot at getting Bergeron another Cup.

You just have to draft McAvoy instead of Jost, and Pasta instead of Fatso.

Nuke will be fine, as he clearly knows how to keep his energy level up.

Reactions: Avs_19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not that I have any real love for Boston, but it legit looked like they had a shot at getting Bergeron another Cup.

My concern with Boston last year was their age and the wear and tear that comes along with it. I frankly think that is what did them in. I was cautious all year on the with their age, but they had a last dance sort of vibe.

This all stems down to how hard it is to actually win a Cup with old teams. Vegas was the oldest team to win the Cup in like 7 years... and they were mid 28s. That is with some ringer age guys too like Quick and Kessell who really didn't do anything for them down the stretch.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My concern with Boston last year was their age and the wear and tear that comes along with it. I frankly think that is what did them in. I was cautious all year on the with their age, but they had a last dance sort of vibe.

This all stems down to how hard it is to actually win a Cup with old teams. Vegas was the oldest team to win the Cup in like 7 years... and they were mid 28s. That is with some ringer age guys too like Quick and Kessell who really didn't do anything for them down the stretch.

How many cups does Phil have now? It's like Phill 10, Toronto 0 lmao.

• Love
Reactions: The Moops

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
How many Stanley Cups has Toronto Maple Leafs won?

13 times

The Maple Leafs have one of hockey's most-storied pasts, having won the Stanley Cup 13 times. The Maple Leafs were one of the NHL's founding teams in 1917 and were first known as the Toronto Arenas before taking on the name St. Patricks in 1919.
(1917–18, 1921–22, 1931–32, 1941–42, 1944–45, 1946–47, 1947–48, 1948–49, 1950–51, 1961–62, 1962–63, 1963–64, 1966–67)

Philadelphia Flyers, American professional ice hockey team based in Philadelphia that plays in the Eastern Conference of the National Hockey League (NHL). The Flyers have won two Stanley Cup championships (1974, 1975).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

13 times

The Maple Leafs have one of hockey's most-storied pasts, having won the Stanley Cup 13 times. The Maple Leafs were one of the NHL's founding teams in 1917 and were first known as the Toronto Arenas before taking on the name St. Patricks in 1919.
(1917–18, 1921–22, 1931–32, 1941–42, 1944–45, 1946–47, 1947–48, 1948–49, 1950–51, 1961–62, 1962–63, 1963–64, 1966–67)

Philadelphia Flyers, American professional ice hockey team based in Philadelphia that plays in the Eastern Conference of the National Hockey League (NHL). The Flyers have won two Stanley Cup championships (1974, 1975).
Thanks ChatGPT.

Not enough... I want him to be the healthy scratch of every Cup winning team for the next decade.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Boston legit had one of the worst failures we've seen in recent memory. To the point where I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more and to me it's an even bigger story than Vegas winning it all. Historic regular season, Selke, Vezina, Jack Adams, top 5 Hart, top 5 Norris, traded futures at the TDL, last hurrah for one of the greatest players in franchise history, etc. All to blow a 3-1 lead in the first round to the 8th seed. That black mark is going to stay with you unless you can come back and win it all, which I highly doubt they'll be doing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

13 times

20221218_205640.jpg

Thanks ChatGPT.

Not enough... I want him to be the healthy scratch of every Cup winning team for the next decade.
lolol-lmao.gif

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Boston legit had one of the worst failures we've seen in recent memory. To the point where I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more and to me it's an even bigger story than Vegas winning it all. Historic regular season, Selke, Vezina, Jack Adams, top 5 Hart, top 5 Norris, traded futures at the TDL, last hurrah for one of the greatest players in franchise history, etc. All to blow a 3-1 lead in the first round to the 8th seed. That black mark is going to stay with you unless you can come back and win it all, which I highly doubt they'll be doing.

This may sound a bit weird... but I think you highlighted why it was more of a success than a failure. Yeah they didn't win a Cup, but that was very unlikely from the start (there's a load management lesson in there)... but they had one hell of a season from a lot of different players and I don't think you can argue that they didn't do everything they could to send Bergeron and Krejci out on top. It didn't work, but damn if they didn't have a great season and they put their best foot forward.

The biggest one season failure in recent history to me is 18-19 Tampa. Great team, was playing very well, thought they had it wrapped up to only lose their mind and get swept. It just gets forgotten about because they came back to win back to back Cups.

Biggest one season failure in my mind ever though is 03-04 Avs. Nothing will ever hurt as much as that. :laugh:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

That curse goes all the way back to Rask winning the Vezina over Varly for me.

Just remembered why I didn't give a shit either way lol.

Reactions: The Moops

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This may sound a bit weird... but I think you highlighted why it was more of a success than a failure. Yeah they didn't win a Cup, but that was very unlikely from the start (there's a load management lesson in there)... but they had one hell of a season from a lot of different players and I don't think you can argue that they didn't do everything they could to send Bergeron and Krejci out on top. It didn't work, but damn if they didn't have a great season and they put their best foot forward.

The biggest one season failure in recent history to me is 18-19 Tampa. Great team, was playing very well, thought they had it wrapped up to only lose their mind and get swept. It just gets forgotten about because they came back to win back to back Cups.

Biggest one season failure in my mind ever though is 03-04 Avs. Nothing will ever hurt as much as that. :laugh:

What happened in 03-04? I was in Iraq, so sounds like I was spared the pain. 🤣

Oh, to add.. The biggest recent core failure may be SJ. That team/core never winning is pretty crazy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Oh, to add.. The biggest recent core failure may be SJ. That team/core never winning is pretty crazy.

you-wouldnt-get-it-joker.gif

I'd add Winnipeg to SJ too. That team was one piece away for basically 3-4 seasons and just never wanted to make that move. When they started trying to address it... it was too late.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
you-wouldnt-get-it-joker.gif

I'd add Winnipeg to SJ too. That team was one piece away for basically 3-4 seasons and just never wanted to make that move. When they started trying to address it... it was too late.
Was that the Kariya Selanee year? That would explain why I have very little memory of it.

Yeah, maybe it's just how damn dominant SJ was though. It was legit fun hockey to watch too, and then poof they go in the playoffs every year. You could definitely add Winnipeg in there though, and that shit might eventually break that franchise. If Winnipeg had won, they'd likely have the support for a rebuild.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

Long story short. Stacked team with not Patrick Roy. Selanne was too injured (the lockout fixed that) and Kariya injured himself signing his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad