Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Grittier, you say?

gritty-the-mascot-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-plays-hockey-news-photo-1610634565.
Probably an upgrade over MacDermid to be completely honest.

They really should just move on from MacDermid but it wont happen.

I mean ffs they used Brad Hunt as a forward last year in the playoffs over MacDermid. Bednar has literally no trust in him whatsoever. Just use Hunt as the F/D extra and ship MacDermid to the Eagles or let him get claimed off waivers.

But again, its not going to happen. They will stick with him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Petry at $2.4M would have been an excellent pickup for us tbh as Manson insurance and just a quality Dman add anyways. Though I'm guessing the Habs did him a favor by sending him to Detroit.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
What would it take to get Marchy out of Vegas assuming he was available? I would do Girard, and 2 1sts.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I mean ffs they used Brad Hunt as a forward last year in the playoffs over MacDermid. Bednar has literally no trust in him whatsoever.

MacDermid, just like Tatar, is a regular season only player. For vastly different reasons, of course.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The leaks out of Vegas are not at all coincidental... they want Marchy to take a discount and the message is simply, 'we'll trade you if you don't.'

They won't send him to the Avs though. They'll find an eastern conference team to grab him.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
For me Hunt is good enough as 7th D, we don’t need MacDermid at all. Then you would have Malinski as a first call up, 8th D, or even someone else.

But we would still need someone in the top9, probably a PTO …

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Definitely Not as a rental, with some term. Would replace Landy well.
The problem being, until we can be absolutely certain what the situation with Landy will be in the future, we can't afford to sign a player like that. Don't know if we would be able to do it anyway with Toews and Rantanen extensions looming (provided we want to keep those players).

Reactions: Foppa2118

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Definitely Not as a rental, with some term. Would replace Landy well.
Signing him would be worse than having him as a pure rental IMO.

The problem being, until we can be absolutely certain what the situation with Landy will be in the future, we can't afford to sign a player like that. Don't know if we would be able to do it anyway with Toews and Rantanen extensions looming (provided we want to keep those players).

Yup... if Landy comes back for 24-25, the Avs are already locked into ~77m with at least 3 forwards to sign, 3 defensemen (including Toews), and a backup goalie. Adding Marchy's $6+m to that would necessitate moving somebody else or Landy on LTIR forever.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Signing him would be worse than having him as a pure rental IMO.

Yup... if Landy comes back for 24-25, the Avs are already locked into ~77m with at least 3 forwards to sign, 3 defensemen (including Toews), and a backup goalie. Adding Marchy's $6+m to that would necessitate moving somebody else or Landy on LTIR forever.
Put Nuke on unconditional waivers 😂

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC
The leaks out of Vegas are not at all coincidental... they want Marchy to take a discount and the message is simply, 'we'll trade you if you don't.'

They won't send him to the Avs though. They'll find an eastern conference team to grab him.
Brutal organization , if I was a free agent player , no amount of shiny Vegas bling lifestyle would be worth playing for ***hole ownership . They turn on you without a care it would seem . Say what you will about Sakic and management , they at least try to do right by the players . I can respect that

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Brutal organization , if I was a free agent player , no amount of shiny Vegas bling lifestyle would be worth playing for ***hole ownership . They turn on you without a care it would seem . Say what you will about Sakic and management , they at least try to do right by the players . I can respect that

On one hand, doing right by the players is great and it is nice to take care of them.

On the other hand, taking care of players in the midst of their regression and cap inefficiencies is one reason teams have windows slam shut. With Vegas, even if you know they may have you visit Lake Mead one day, you know they are doing everything they can to win. If winning is your top priority, hard to make a better case than Vegas.

I see both sides. I respect the pure treatment as a business and trying to win at all costs. I also find it pretty brutal for the players, once they are done with you, they throw you away like Andy does Woody.

A different way of putting it... is it better to be Pitt or Washington after their Cup, or is it better to be Vegas? Age out without a realistic chance at the Cup, but respect your guys who got you there.... or try to reload as quickly as possible to give another good shot?

AvalancheSpeedsters

Aug 2, 2005
Kamloops, BC
On one hand, doing right by the players is great and it is nice to take care of them.

On the other hand, taking care of players in the midst of their regression and cap inefficiencies is one reason teams have windows slam shut. With Vegas, even if you know they may have you visit Lake Mead one day, you know they are doing everything they can to win. If winning is your top priority, hard to make a better case than Vegas.

I see both sides. I respect the pure treatment as a business and trying to win at all costs. I also find it pretty brutal for the players, once they are done with you, they throw you away like Andy does Woody.

A different way of putting it... is it better to be Pitt or Washington after their Cup, or is it better to be Vegas? Age out without a realistic chance at the Cup, but respect your guys who got you there.... or try to reload as quickly as possible to give another good shot?
Fair enough and I get it , but Vegas it seems was more brutal even from the get go (see the Fleury /Lehner debacle )

It’s one thing to be cutthroat in fantasy sports but another when dealing with actual players . Lucky for Vegas it is a « hot destination » as opposed to -no disrespect- Columbus , Winnipeg or Buffalo

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Fair enough and I get it , but Vegas it seems was more brutal even from the get go (see the Fleury /Lehner debacle )

It’s one thing to be cutthroat in fantasy sports but another when dealing with actual players . Lucky for Vegas it is a « hot destination » as opposed to -no disrespect- Columbus , Winnipeg or Buffalo
Oh I think Vegas is on the far extreme end here... and I don't really know if it will work out any better for them, but it will be interesting to watch.

I think some of the debates that get dragged out here are along these lines. Sell quickly with guys who may not be as cap efficient real soon to rebuild the depth, or win with who brought you regardless of circumstance today... I think there is some merit in both. I do think the Avs try to strike a balance. They are certainly not cutthroat and they do try to run it back, but they also know that you cut bait sometimes.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Reactions: AvsGuy

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So we’re trading Toews because his contract is up next year. We’re doing the same to Mikko when his contract is up, and now we’re getting rid of Nuke because he did something which we don’t even know the whole story.

I mean why not just start a full rebuild right now? Imagine how many picks and prospects we can get for Toews, Mikko, Nuke, Makar and MacK

• Haha
Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA