Rumor: 2023-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
If they sign Tatar to a $1.5M contract, is it buriable without cap hit ?

The way I see the $2M available, is choosing to sign a $2M UFA now or trade for a $4M 50% retained guy at the deadline.

But I might be wrong. Can they do both and simply bury the $2M UFA if he sucks?

Reactions: NottinghamPanther

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
There are so many uncertainties between RyJo, Drouin, Woods, Kovalenko, Landeskog, injuries that it seems prudent to keep that $2M and flip it into a $4M available (50% retianed) to plug whichever hole turns into the biggest problem at the deadline. And that still leave you with Girard as a possible card to play in order to switch things around further.

Seems smarter to keep flexibility than to use it on a guy you know is grade C...

The question is not whether Tatar would make us better or not. Its whether it is the best use of a very limited resource.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If they sign Tatar to a $1.5M contract, is it buriable without cap hit ?

The way I see the $2M available, is choosing to sign a $2M UFA now or trade for a $4M 50% retained guy at the deadline.

But I might be wrong. Can they do both and simply bury the $2M UFA if he sucks?
1.5M is not buriable.

According to Cap Friendly, this year's buriable cap hit is 1.125M. Anything over that and they retain that portion of the cap hit.

So, for example, using your 1.5M example, the Avs would have a 250k cap hit for Tatar if they buried him...so basically we'd have found a way to keep the "250k overpaid" meme going.

The easiest solution would be to waive and bury MacDermid, as that would free up like 987k (so basically just about another 1M).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Macdermid obviously sucks but one benefit is that they use him at F and D. This allows them to carry one less man on the roster most of the time.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Macdermid obviously sucks but one benefit is that they use him at F and D. This allows them to carry one less man on the roster most of the time.
I mean yeah that’s a plus, but then you’re still playing the worst player in the NHL in either case.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Just carry Brad Hunt and be done with it, imo.

I'm not expecting them to do that, but if MacDermid's value to an NHL roster is that he can "play both F and D", well that's not enough imo...especially when it's a 4th line/6D role that ends up netting him less than 9min a game.

Again, I'm not expecting him to be waived and sent to the AHL, but it just highlights a sore spot on this Avs roster that they're devoting nearly 1M in cap space to a guy that Bednar routinely goes out of his way to not play, and when he does he gets dogshit minutes anyway (leading to increased minutes for his workhorses), when they could be paying close to the league minimum to someone else who will--at worse--net the same results or, at best, give you something better on a more consistent basis than MacDermid ever could.

Reactions: Metallo

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
MacDermid was ahead of Hunt in the food chain last season and played almost exclusively at defense. In fact I'm not even sure that he played one game at forward.

I don't see why it would change this upcoming season.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With the way the Avs can't accrue cap this season, there isn't a practical cap difference in carrying 21, 22, or 23 provided it fits under the cap in total. It makes a difference in cash flow and the highest dollar amount they could sign a single player to (IE sending down Dermy and Olofsson would allow up to ~3.7m spent on 1 player, but no extras).

People are dreaming if they really think Dermy will be sent down though or the Avs run under 21 consistently. Injuries happen so an extra or two are really needed and Avs are afraid of Dermy getting picked up on waivers.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
With the way the Avs can't accrue cap this season, there isn't a practical cap difference in carrying 21, 22, or 23 provided it fits under the cap in total. It makes a difference in cash flow and the highest dollar amount they could sign a single player to (IE sending down Dermy and Olofsson would allow up to ~3.7m spent on 1 player, but no extras).

People are dreaming if they really think Dermy will be sent down though or the Avs run under 21 consistently. Injuries happen so an extra or two are really needed and Avs are afraid of Dermy getting picked up on waivers.
I agree, which is why I said I do not expect it to happen, but if CMac wants to be ruthless and get the most out of his roster he would do it.

But I'm not expecting it to happen and I fully expect to see MacDermid suiting up for dozens of games this season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree, which is why I said I do not expect it to happen, but if CMac wants to be ruthless and get the most out of his roster he would do it.

But I'm not expecting it to happen and I fully expect to see MacDermid suiting up for dozens of games this season.
I personally think it'll be over 40, probably well over. Injuries will happen and the Avs want to be grittier...

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I personally think it'll be over 40, probably well over. Injuries will happen and the Avs want to be grittier...

I'm liking your post because I agree with your prediction, not because I like MacDoofus suiting up much. Just wanted to make that perfectly clear.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Grittier, you say?

gritty-the-mascot-of-the-philadelphia-flyers-plays-hockey-news-photo-1610634565.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
MacDermid was ahead of Hunt in the food chain last season and played almost exclusively at defense. In fact I'm not even sure that he played one game at forward.

I don't see why it would change this upcoming season.

Last year was a 50/50 split for MacDermid.

He played 23 games at defense, the rest (21) were at forward.

10/21 vs SEA
11/5 vs CBJ^
11/10 vs NSH
11/12 vs CAR
1/7 @ EDM
1/10 vs FLA
1/12 @ CHI
1/18 @ CGY
1/20 @ VAN
1/21 @ SEA
1/24 vs WSH
2/11 @ FLA*
2/14 vs TB
2/18 @ STL
2/19 vs EDM
3/7 vs SJ
3/20 vs CHI
3/22 vs PIT
4/4 @ SJ
4/6 @ SJ
4/8 @ LA
4/9 @ ANA
4/14 @ NSH

^global series
*switched F -> D when EJ went down with injury

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

The Avs are f***ing morons if they are worried about MacDermid getting picked up on waivers.

Let him go. He stinks.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'd take him over Dermy
That's not exactly a high bar to clear.

We'd all take my 38 year old ass and I can't skate, can't defend, can't hit, can't shoot, can't pass, have bad knees, a bad back, and I'm only 5'9.

But we'd all take me on the team in a heartbeat because I'd actively negotiate a lower salary than the league minimum and I'd still be making the most money in my entire life.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Credit to him for still being one of the few serviceable enforcers left, but at this point the Avs need to be moving Dermy up and down so obviously that no one needs to be saying it. Shades of when they stuck with Bordy for full seasons, only the team is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille