GDT: 2023-24 season game 61 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @7:30pm 3/5/24

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
But he's not an NHL finisher.....that's kind of the point.....yes, he has't had a ton of time up here, I get that, but the time he's had.....he hasn't shown he can do anything...
How do you know that when he's only had 13 games most on the bottom 6? There is no way you or the Kings know that Fagemo wont find a niche and contribute given some games. I get that he looks like a poor mans Arvidsson volume shooter type. But he's potted a lot of goals.. that is at least a sign of offensive upside. JAD has proven he does not translate offensively - he's had enough games.

Reactions: tny760 and kinghock

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
It's not that crazy if you consider the fact that management is inept at their jobs and don't want to play Clarke for fear that he'll hit his bonuses which has cap implications going forward and our genius GM has already spent all of his cap money on forwards, leaving no money to do anything else but overpay the Kings' 2024 1st round pick for another forward.

It makes total sense!
I don't believe that.

Reactions: Statto and Gjwrams

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
How do you know that when he's only had 13 games most on the bottom 6? There is no way you or the Kings know that Fagemo wont find a niche and contribute given some games. I get that he looks like a poor mans Arvidsson volume shooter type. But he's potted a lot of goals.. that is at least a sign of offensive upside. JAD has proven he does not translate offensively - he's had enough games.

You know who else has potted a lot of goals in the AHL, Rocco freaking Grimaldi....and Adam holy shit he's still playing Gaudette....

Sorry, potting AHL goals isn't as much as an accomplishment when it comes to determining if you are an NHL player or not.....

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
it's not a choice, it's that they're "deferred" if the bonuses push you over the cap at the end of the season. then they're just counted as straight penalties on next season. $1M over means $1M less next season, which i think we've already hit with talbot but i don't think we were quite up to the cap so it might only penalize a portion of that

i think they've successfully buried clarke and kaliyev long enough at this point to pay QB his without concern, since he's a couple games away from hitting his 20 goal bonus, probably hitting 35 assists by the end of the season. might not hit 60 points but i don't know. that's a nice $2.65M in bonuses

i think LTIR is a separate calculation entirely so we gain no benefit from it as far as bonuses
Thanks for the clarity. I understood it wasn’t a ‘choice’ but hadn’t looked at the bigger picture with the bonuses, especially QB’s.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
You know who else has potted a lot of goals in the AHL, Rocco freaking Grimaldi....and Adam holy shit he's still playing Gaudette....

Sorry, potting AHL goals isn't as much as an accomplishment when it comes to determining if you are an NHL player or not.....
Thats not what i was arguing. The point is, they havent given him enough games to know. How do you know he wont translate?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

oh, grimaldi and gaudette, the guys who both have over 200 NHL games where they've proven they can't stick

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Thats not what i was arguing. The point is, they havent given him enough games to know. How do you know he wont translate?

Me personally? Just a feeling based on the fact that two teams obtained him, and NEITHER thought enough of him to give him those chances....maybe that's appealing to authority, but given that, the 13 games he's played...he hasn't shown much of anything....about anything...for anything, you complain about JAD, but here you have a winger vision of JAD with a shot....who can't crack NHL lineups.

oh, grimaldi and gaudette, the guys who both have over 200 NHL games where they've proven they can't stick

Yep....but sure can score in the AHL...the only difference is, teams have come to realize that Fagemo is just like them, they just realized it a helluva lot quicker,

Any chance you know why Nashville claimed him then didn't use him at all?

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Me personally? Just a feeling based on the fact that two teams obtained him, and NEITHER thought enough of him to give him those chances....maybe that's appealing to authority, but given that, the 13 games he's played...he hasn't shown much of anything....about anything...for anything, you complain about JAD, but here you have a winger vision of JAD with a shot....who can't crack NHL lineups.
Got it. Well to me its worth giving him (or Kaliyev or even Chromiak) a shot given the team is down their leading scorer to see if by some miracle they do something vs JAD which is a known quantity. Without some more offense the Kings have to play 60 straight minutes of smothering defense like they've been trying to do the last 3 games. I think they need to experiment more, give Clarke more time and try things before the playoffs start.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Got it. Well to me its worth giving him (or Kaliyev or even Chromiak) a shot given the team is down their leading scorer to see if by some miracle they do something vs JAD which is a known quantity. Without some more offense the Kings have to play 60 straight minutes of smothering defense like they've been trying to do the last 3 games. I think they need to experiment more, give Clarke more time and try things before the playoffs start.

Problem I have with that is, removing Turcotte kills that 1st line, he has played extremely well in that role, and is creating.

Call up Fagemo and put up with PLD, fine sure....as far as without offense...you mean the 11 goals in 3 games kind of without offense?

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Problem I have with that is, removing Turcotte kills that 1st line, he has played extremely well in that role, and is creating.

Call up Fagemo and put up with PLD, fine sure....as far as without offense...you mean the 11 goals in 3 games kind of without offense?
3 games is not a good sample size.. look at the roster it was offensively challenged before Kempe went down. PLD has 2 very limited offensive partners on his line... that 3rd line is comedy at this point - thats undeniable. Thats not a 3rd line you go to war with. I'd put Fagemo up with 12 and 24 since his game most like RV, and Fiala can turn scrubs into scorers on the 3rd line like he did last season and in Minne. You have to make the 3rd line have some offensive value because it is a defensive liability.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
8 games in depth under todd, playing 6-8 minutes probably

WE KNOW WHAT HE IS, HES JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH
Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 2.06.54 PM.png

They have seen him play in over 200 pro games. If you think that isn't enough to evaluated a player, I don't know what else to tell you.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don’t think he’s good enough either but my criticism about him not being good enough is that Blake wasted a million good picks. f***ing fire him already.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
View attachment 830664

They have seen him play in over 200 pro games. If you think that isn't enough to evaluated a player, I don't know what else to tell you.
If you think this shitbrick organization is capable of properly evaluating talent, I don’t know what to tell YOU.

It’s not radical to suggest giving something a try. Put a guy that’s shown offensive prowess at a lower level in an offensive role in the NHL and see what happens isn’t exactly rocket science. Not the way putting Lizotte with Byfield and PLD is, anyway… But no, let’s write guys off without even giving it a shot because that’s smart.

Guess we know which accounts Blake has on here.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
If you think this shitbrick organization is capable of properly evaluating talent, I don’t know what to tell YOU.

It’s not radical to suggest giving something a try. Put a guy that’s shown offensive prowess at a lower level in an offensive role in the NHL and see what happens isn’t exactly rocket science. Not the way putting Lizotte with Byfield and PLD is, anyway… But no, let’s write guys off without even giving it a shot because that’s smart.

Yeah exactly.
This is the same guy who made Cal Peterson rich and our #1 goalie. Same guy who traded for PLD (bidding against himself apparently) and giving the goof a crazy contract. Among others. Let's trust that guy huh?!?! Uggghhh

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

so what was nashvilles excuse then? They had him for over a month on the active roster and he played 4 games, on a team then , in more need of offense than us. He averaged 9;49 of icetime. That's sound a lot like he got here.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

The game is littered with guys that score heavily at one level but can’t take the next step. Goals and points is a very small part of the game when it comes to that transition.

Going on a bit of a segway…. This type of discussion always takes me back to a guy who played in the U.K, Tim Salmon (who incidentally was one of the extras in Youngblood). Salmon led the OHL in scoring (83-84) with 145 pts in 69 games and then scored 10 pts that year in the IHL and 12 pts in 13 IHL playoff games; all as a 19 yr old. He was never even drafted. As an aside at the age of 21 he scored 254 pts in 35 games in a crappy UK Premier League. The guy was skilled, feisty, quick and intense (I hated him at the time) and I could not tell you what was missing but he wasn’t even worth a draft choice.

I’m not saying Fagemo can’t/won’t make it but him not getting the opportunities we/some want doesn’t make him an outlier. I presume there are specific things they want to see from him.

Reactions: kinghock

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The game is littered with guys that score heavily at one level but can’t take the next step. Goals and points is a very small part of the game when it comes to that transition.

Going on a bit of a segway…. This type of discussion always takes me back to a guy who played in the U.K, Tim Salmon (who incidentally was one of the extras in Youngblood). Salmon led the OHL in scoring (83-84) with 145 pts in 69 games and then scored 10 pts that year in the IHL and 12 pts in 13 IHL playoff games; all as a 19 yr old. He was never even drafted. As an aside at the age of 21 he scored 254 pts in 35 games in a crappy UK Premier League. The guy was skilled, feisty, quick and intense (I hated him at the time) and I could not tell you what was missing but he wasn’t even worth a draft choice.

I’m not saying Fagemo can’t/won’t make it but him not getting the opportunities we/some want doesn’t make him an outlier. I presume there are specific things they want to see from him.

Maybe but none of us really trust the Kings to evaluate those things anymore given their results here vs. what happens when they leave.

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Maybe but none of us really trust the Kings to evaluate those things anymore given their results here vs. what happens when they leave.
It's so funny you mention that, I was just checking in on Olli Maatta - this was a LD they let walk away for nothing as a UFA - like what they're gonna do with Roy

on the Red Wings, Maatta has returned to the levels he was at in Pittsburgh and Chicago. So why did he only put up 12 pts in 100+ games with the Kings?

I just know that Maatta has a cap hit of $3M and is tied with Gavrikov in pts.

With matters that concern Fagemo and Clarke, there might be too much emphasis on "playing the game the way we want you to play it" over top of playing your game, and bringing what makes you successful. Does this all tie into Kaliyev as well?

Reactions: AbsentMojo

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
It's so funny you mention that, I was just checking in on Olli Maatta - this was a LD they let walk away for nothing as a UFA - like what they're gonna do with Roy

on the Red Wings, Maatta has returned to the levels he was at in Pittsburgh and Chicago. So why did he only put up 12 pts in 100+ games with the Kings?

I just know that Maatta has a cap hit of $3M and is tied with Gavrikov in pts.

With matters that concern Fagemo and Clarke, there might be too much emphasis on "playing the game the way we want you to play it" over top of playing your game, and bringing what makes you successful. Does this all tie into Kaliyev as well?
Maatta wasn't bad his last year in LA. Not sure what was behind that move. Maybe he wanted out.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Maata was our #2 D (right behind Durzi) during our best playoffs series since 2014.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00