GDT: 2023-24 season game 61 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @7:30pm 3/5/24

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Hockey siberia here we come.
AGAIN.
Another good thing about the division getting stronger it raises the probability of being bounced first round so that will wrap up the Rob Blake era. I can’t recall a Kings who’s actively been such a cancer to the organization as a player and as an executive.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I dont know but not that.
Perfect example of you trying to shape a narrative. So you don't know the reason, but claim it isn't because the Kings are in cap hell due to their own mismanagement... and yet this is the only real information that's come out about the situation.

Playing Brandt Clarke Too Much This Season Brings Risk for Kings

So, which is it? Are the Kings not playing Clarke because of the cap implications or are you trying to shape a narrative here by claiming otherwise?

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Perfect example of you trying to shape a narrative. So you don't know the reason, but claim it isn't because the Kings are in cap hell due to their own mismanagement... and yet this is the only real information that's come out about the situation.

So, which is it? Are the Kings not playing Clarke because of the cap implications or are you trying to shape a narrative here by claiming otherwise?
I never said they're not in cap hell and I'm not trying to shape anything.

I just don't agree with that theory put forward by Hoven and since to the best of my knowledge there's not sentence in that article that says anything about sources or "we're hearing" I believe that article is an opinion piece and at the risk of getting tattled on I disagree with that opinion.

The Kings may or may not be in cap hell next season but we've got plenty of time to figure that out and the opinions presented in that article make little sense to me and plenty of other people I've talked to about.

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
I'm gonna re-write that article and title it as

"Winning A Playoff Round Brings Risk For Kings Next Season"

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I just don't agree with that theory put forward by Hoven and since to the best of my knowledge there's not sentence in that article that says anything about sources or "we're hearing" I believe that article is an opinion piece and at the risk of getting tattled on I disagree with that opinion.

The Kings may or may not be in cap hell next season but we've got plenty of time to figure that out and the opinions presented in that article make little sense to me and plenty of other people I've talked to about.
Though I usually won't share communications from Hoven to me, I feel this one in particular is an exception because he realizes he poorly conveyed the article meaning which has been misunderstood.

The article was an opinion piece, that discusses why there are practical benefits, cap wise, not to play Clarke as much this season. As Jesse mentioned, there's no point in the article where he says "he heard" or "sources tell him."

I only know this because among my complaints to Hoven about management decisions, he admitted that's his failure to communicate the message clearly - as I ALSO understood it as a management decision to withhold him for bonus reasons.

Whether or not it was meant to withhold bonuses, which it sounds like it was not, Clarke's handling since being drafted is borderline criminal.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Though I usually won't share communications from Hoven to me, I feel this one in particular is an exception because he realizes he poorly conveyed the article meaning which has been misunderstood.

The article was an opinion piece, that discusses why there are practical benefits, cap wise, not to play Clarke as much this season. As Jesse mentioned, there's no point in the article where he says "he heard" or "sources tell him."

I only know this because among my complaints to Hoven about management decisions, he admitted that's his failure to communicate the message clearly - as I ALSO understood it as a management decision to withhold him for bonus reasons.

Whether or not it was meant to withhold bonuses, which it sounds like it was not, Clarke's handling since being drafted is borderline criminal.
It doesn't matter if it's speculation and opinion. It's the only info we have and that is 100% due to the Kings and the way they handle the media.
This is their bed they made, and this is what happens when the media asks softball questions and the team attempts to be tight-lipped with answering anything like injury reports.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC

Just want to say how much I enjoy you playing Jurassic 5 during Kings Talk. I for one won’t complain if you mix in some of their other tracks and even some more Gorillaz, despite whether the Kings win or lose the game.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Edit: Nevermind, thought more about this and not worth saying it.

oops I saw it anyway

I have a lot of thoughts about the way the media operates around the Kings, I have a lot of thoughts about how the Kings operate around the media.

As you say... it's probably not worth getting into and I've attempted a few drafts here already but they all make me sound like a condecending prick which I am but I don't enjoy other people knowing it.

So... I don't know what to tell you guys.

Hoven wrote a think piece. Some of you assumed he was explaining official policy.

I don't think he was and just because I don't have a better answer doesn't mean his article is accurate and as KingsPawn said.... I was right. It was a think piece.

So .... ya know... whatever I guess?

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
At least as far as injury reports, by old custom teams never report anymore than they absolutely have to. Because of other teams using more specific information to physically target the injured body part. At least that was the historic reason. Wherher or not that applies any more in the new kinder gentler nhl is anybodys guess

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
oops I saw it anyway

I have a lot of thoughts about the way the media operates around the Kings, I have a lot of thoughts about how the Kings operate around the media.

As you say... it's probably not worth getting into and I've attempted a few drafts here already but they all make me sound like a condecending prick which I am but I don't enjoy other people knowing it.

So... I don't know what to tell you guys.

Hoven wrote a think piece. Some of you assumed he was explaining official policy.

I don't think he was and just because I don't have a better answer doesn't mean his article is accurate and as KingsPawn said.... I was right. It was a think piece.

So .... ya know... whatever I guess?
Yeah, that was why I deleted it. Read it a couple times and it was just lashing out.
Water under the bridge moving on.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It doesn't matter if it's speculation and opinion. It's the only info we have and that is 100% due to the Kings and the way they handle the media.
This is their bed they made, and this is what happens when the media asks softball questions and the team attempts to be tight-lipped with answering anything like injury reports.
I totally get it. I have just seen it be referenced as a source of fact and wanted to provide what clarity I can.

For what it's worth, I don't think it was some attempt to screw Clarke out of bonuses. I used to, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that was a faulty assumption.

I think it simply boils down to a previous point several of us have discussed in the past: the Kings have a rigid view of how players should play, and how several need to "pay their dues" in the AHL. My belief is they simply can't help themselves but think, with how Byfield is turning out, they feel validated in "slow boiling" all prospects.

And I'm sure there are some Blake fans who feel the same way, thinking "See? None of you were patient with Byfield. He just wasn't ready." While ignoring that Byfield had raw talent, worthy of a second overall pick, where he had much more potential going forward anyway. It's working out, but that doesn't mean it was the only (or even best) approach. We're seeing it with Clarke now. He's too talented for the AHL, but not savvy enough for the NHL. The Kings revert back to their dependence on vets because they need a playoff appearance with the assets they've spent. So, Clarke, who needs experience to learn to improve his reads, doesn't get experience. With the direction they're going, though, they can't afford to let him learn from his mistakes.

I just see an organization who believes in its own rigid development system to a fault. As you point out, it would be great if media (Hoven included) could or would ask a pointed question about it to get a direct response. Until then, though, I think the much more likely and simple answer is they think this is best for Clarke's development while the Kings pursue the playoffs. I don't agree with it, but this isn't the first time they've bounced around talented players they don't know how to handle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad