GDT: 2023-24 season game 61 LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @7:30pm 3/5/24

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Game was good last night, Kings should have buried it, but Vancouver played a shit ton better than they did last week, good hockey all around, you can tell the Kings lack depth of skill, just one or two players, that makes a huge difference, last night Van had Boeser, Petterson, Miller, Hughes, Garland, LA had Fiala, Byfield, Moore,

Turcotte looked really good last night, I hope he's turned that corner....

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
It's not that crazy if you consider the fact that management is inept at their jobs and don't want to play Clarke for fear that he'll hit his bonuses which has cap implications going forward and our genius GM has already spent all of his cap money on forwards, leaving no money to do anything else but overpay the Kings' 2024 1st round pick for another forward.

It makes total sense!
touché sir…touché

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I thought someone countered the bonus argument for Clarke saying there was no way possible for him to hit any bonus. I was on the road for three weeks and can not remember who posted it or in what thread. I will try and find it later today

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I thought someone countered the bonus argument for Clarke saying there was no way possible for him to hit any bonus. I was on the road for three weeks and can not remember who posted it or in what thread. I will try and find it later today

Doesn't matter, it really doesn't, if there's any way to clap back at management and show them as inept, they will do it, REGARDLESS if true or not....

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It is possible, but that is why we are saying the cap is badly mismanaged. They are struggling with next seasons cap
I’m not suggesting it’s ideal, but it’s far from conclusive that this is why Clarke isn’t played more.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I can’t remember all the rules but can’t bonuses be deferred from a cap perspective? So any bonuses he hits can count against next years cap instead. Not ideal but it would mange this years issues. It may not apply in all contract situations though so maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject can confirm if I’m correct.
it's not a choice, it's that they're "deferred" if the bonuses push you over the cap at the end of the season. then they're just counted as straight penalties on next season. $1M over means $1M less next season, which i think we've already hit with talbot but i don't think we were quite up to the cap so it might only penalize a portion of that

i think they've successfully buried clarke and kaliyev long enough at this point to pay QB his without concern, since he's a couple games away from hitting his 20 goal bonus, probably hitting 35 assists by the end of the season. might not hit 60 points but i don't know. that's a nice $2.65M in bonuses

i think LTIR is a separate calculation entirely so we gain no benefit from it as far as bonuses

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Yea, but is he outscoring TJ Tynan and Martin Frk, and Lias Andersson?

Why are we making the assumption because someone ELSE did it...Fagemo will? You know, the guy who got WAIVED....picked up by another offensively challenged team in NSH, couldn't do anything there...and got WAIVED AGAIN.....

But yea, he's the next best thing since sliced bread....

Reactions: kingsfan28

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Yeah, Stankoven is insane, I saw him play in the AHL a couple of weeks ago and he was the best player on the ice, I made a post about it in his thread on the prospects board, the puck just exploded off his stick. I obviously didn't expect a historic type start like this, but his offensive skills and smarts were apparent. The Kings took Pinelli 5 picks before him, imagine Stankoven with Kopitar and QB.

I just don't know why the Kings won't give Fagemo an extended look where there is a clear cut role for him right now with the injuries. Turcotte has played well and added some much needed energy up front, but a player like him would be much more suited to the role JAD is currently playing, there are just very clear offensive limitations to his game that make him a poor fit as the 1RW. It's like having the gritty slap hitter who is good at grinding his way on base batting cleanup.

I'm guessing the Kings don't like Fagemo's all-around game, but there is a clear need for a right-shot finisher right now, even if he's a below average defensive player.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yea, but is he outscoring TJ Tynan and Martin Frk, and Lias Andersson?

Why are we making the assumption because someone ELSE did it...Fagemo will? You know, the guy who got WAIVED....picked up by another offensively challenged team in NSH, couldn't do anything there...and got WAIVED AGAIN.....

But yea, he's the next best thing since sliced bread....

Another strawman. Who is saying he's going to be some huge superstar? Who? Please cite it.

The Kings 1RW right now is a converted left-shot center who has 1 goal in 25 NHL games and has scored at a 17 goal pace in his AHL career. But apparently wanting to have a right-shot goal-scorer in the 1RW spot means he thinks he is some superstar.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

AHL scoring does not translate to NHL results like you think. The one thing guys say going from the AHL to the NHL is the speed and lack of room to get open. Tynan, Fagemo and any number of high scoring players prove this point all the time when they get called up. The good ones make the adjustments, the average ones don't and get sent down. The Kings have a pretty good book on Fagemo by now and there's a reason he's not up and playing on the top 2/3 lines.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Another strawman. Who is saying he's going to be some huge superstar? Who? Please cite it.

The Kings 1RW right now is a converted left-shot center who has 1 goal in 25 NHL games and has scored at a 17 goal pace in his AHL career. But apparently wanting to have a right-shot goal-scorer in the 1RW spot means he thinks he is some superstar.

Nope, but you know this....how many times does AHL scoring translate to NHL scoring? I mean that is literally why you want him up there....you said it....

And yet, TWO teams have passed on him, both after going out of their way to claim him for their team and both realized, he's just not it.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
AHL scoring does not translate to NHL results like you think. The one thing guys say going from the AHL to the NHL is the speed and lack of room to get open. Tynan, Fagemo and any number of high scoring players prove this point all the time when they get called up. The good ones make the adjustments, the average ones don't and get sent down. The Kings have a pretty good book on Fagemo by now and there's a reason he's not up and playing on the top 2/3 lines.
Has Turcotte made "the adjustments"? Not to badmouth Turcotte, but he's just not productive, and hasn't been his entire time in the NHL. One point in the last month, 11 games. Herby asks a good question. Why is Turcotte playing wing next to Kopitar right now when Fagemo has outproduced Turcotte at both levels?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Nope, but you know this....how many times does AHL scoring translate to NHL scoring? I mean that is literally why you want him up there....you said it....

And yet, TWO teams have passed on him, both after going out of their way to claim him for their team and both realized, he's just not it.

I want him up here because there is a clear need for a right-shot finisher for the Kings right now.

Turcotte should take JAD's spot with PLD and Laferriere, and JAD should be sitting right now. That gives you some balance with a right shot player on 3 of the 4 lines.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Has Turcotte made "the adjustments"? Not to badmouth Turcotte, but he's just not productive, and hasn't been his entire time in the NHL. One point in the last month, 11 games. Herby asks a good question. Why is Turcotte playing wing next to Kopitar right now when Fagemo has outproduced Turcotte at both levels?

No matter how many times people want to try and will it, Turcotte is not an offensive player, he hasn't been at any level since he was 17 years old playing for the NTDP. You have years and years of data showing it, in particular the lack of any kind of goal-scoring ability at both the AHL and NHL levels. He would be an asset to the Kings right now if he were playing JAD's role next to PLD and Laferriere, playing with energy and grit against lesser competition on the third line. He has played well and earned that type of role on this team, but the guy isn't a 1st line player, and is being terribly miscast right now in that role.

I want Fagemo in the interim because I don't want to give up more assets for a player like Toffoli, and because if VA does return, I don't want a guy like Laferriere or Turcotte pushed out of the lineup to play VA and Toffoli in the playoffs. Because of his finishing ability Fagemo can be a placeholder until VA or Kempe return, and then healthy-scratched, because he won't be able to effectively play a 3rd line role as well as Turcotte or Laferriere.

Reactions: lumbergh

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
@GoldenBearHockey @kingsfan28 You guys aren't saying anything that we don't already know.

I've compared Fagemo to Teemu Pulkkinen.

But some of us are just saying / implying he should be given more of look at some point. It's a perfectly reasonable POV.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Would rather see just about anyone else than JAD, he had some bad bumbles last night and was underwhelming, as per usual.

Just saw JAD on waivers, at least there's that.

Reactions: kinghock and Herby

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i don't think that was as egregious as fiala's personally

regardless can't play a game like that and expect to win, taking it to OT was a miracle already

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

9 games last year, 4 games. this year. That is definitely is not enough time to conclude his game doesnt translate. Took Kempe til 25 to break out... Byfield a couple of years playing on the top line. I dont care what Nashville did, maybe they were looking for a certain type of player. The Kings are using JAD on the 3rd line. That speaks volumes about their ability to evaluate talent.

Reactions: kinghock

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I want him up here because there is a clear need for a right-shot finisher for the Kings right now.

Turcotte should take JAD's spot with PLD and Laferriere, and JAD should be sitting right now. That gives you some balance with a right shot player on 3 of the 4 lines.

But he's not an NHL finisher.....that's kind of the point.....yes, he has't had a ton of time up here, I get that, but the time he's had.....he hasn't shown he can do anything...

Turcotte is much much better on that line next to Kopitar and Byfield.....I could care less if he doesn't score a goal rest of the year, but he helps create opportunities....

9 games last year, 4 games. this year. That is definitely is not enough time to conclude his game doesnt translate. Took Kempe til 25 to break out... Byfield a couple of years playing on the top line. I dont care what Nashville did, maybe they were looking for a certain type of player. The Kings are using JAD on the 3rd line. That speaks volumes about their ability to evaluate talent.

JAD is fine on the 3rd line,....JAD is a much better overall player than Fagemo....again not really setting the bar high, but it's amazing how people in this day and age can't figure out what NHL coaches want in a tweener player like JAD/Fagemo/Kaliyev

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00