GDT: 2023-24 season game 54 LA Kings vs Columbus Blue Jackets @7:30pm 2/20/24

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
not sure if this is serious. if TM couldn't find a way to motivate him to play hards its partially on him. coaching isn't all about x's and o's. its also about stroking egos and motivation....
A coach can't make a player put in effort on a puck battle.

His effort level has been up and down his entire career.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
There's a good site that provides the 'web' approach for with/without you stats but I don't subscribe anymore because i'm lazy.

Her'es this at least

edit: here's the link because apparently i don't know how photos workon this forum anymore

Very cool. That chart seems to prove that Byfield is/was carrying the Kopi line... and in general making everyone better around him

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
The reason this game gave me so much confidence in Hiller is two fold:

1. Although Arvidsson being out required it, the creativity and flexibility in line combos last night were off the charts. We were seeing combos that Tmac would never dream of. it's this kind of thing, especially with a line-up that is "deep" like ours, that can see what gets going with who well. Putting Byfield with PLD was something Tmac wouldn't dare because he is risk adverse with zero creativity.

2. QB was being double shifted on 2 lines. Hiller knows who his best player is

Also, It's time to move on from Roy. He is great but Spence can play equally as well with Englund, and that Salary can snag a Goalie at deadline.

Last edited:

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Also, It's time to move on from Roy. He is great but Spence can play equally as well with Englund, and that Salary can sang a Goalie at deadline.
Or a LD who is better than Englund, or a bottom 6 wing with size that can PK and hit people, or both!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
1. Although Arvidsson being out required it, the creativity and flexibility in line combos last night were off the charts. We were seeing combos that Tmac would never dream of. it's this kind of thing, especially with a line-up that is "deep" like ours, that can see what gets going with who well. Putting Byfield with PLD was something Tmac wouldn't dare because he is risk adverse with zero creativity.

2. QB was being double shifted on 2 lines. Hiller knows who his best player is

Also, It's time to move on from Roy. He is great but Spence can play equally as well with Englund, and that Salary can sang a Goalie at deadline.
You like the scatter brain line combos right now because we're winning. When the Kings hit a rut it will be one of the things Hiller gets criticized for.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this approach just yet. We'll see.

Hiller played Doughty an asinine 26 minutes last night. In a game against Columbus that LA lead the whole time.

Kopitar's TOI has gone up since Hiller came on board.

He doesn't seem too interested in giving guys like Turcotte or Kaliyev much TOI.

The Kings only chance at making a run is by using depth and keeping everyone energetic.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
This isn't an excuse for PLD this year, but I will go to my grave saying that TM is just not a very good coach. He did well in SJ due to an enormously stacked roster which succeeded based on talent. A good coach gets the most out of what he has
Maybe you weren't following the Kings the last two seasons? Two years ago, he took a roster that nobody predicted would make the playoffs (therefore, not 'enormously stacked) and got them to the brink of taking EDM out in the first round. The following season, he set a franchise record with 104 points.

You guys can spin your narrative all day long, doesn't make it true. Obviously if the criteria is Stanley Cups, then TM is a loser. So, with that said, the NHL has a shit load of loser coaches then.

Total garbage.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
PLD isn't playing better because of Jim Hiller.

He's playing better because he's choosing to. A coach can't be responsible for an individual player's effort.
Sure they can. Think of it like any other job. If your boss assigns you crappy things to do after your previous boss was giving you awesome responsibilities, you're going to be disappointed and your effort will likely suffer. A good coach is like any other manager. You put people in position to succeed and develop. If they're doing worse than they ever have previously (even if their reviews said they lacked drive at times), that's a reflection on you as much as it is on them.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Sure they can. Think of it like any other job. If your boss assigns you crappy things to do after your previous boss was giving you awesome responsibilities, you're going to be disappointed and your effort will likely suffer. A good coach is like any other manager. You put people in position to succeed and develop. If they're doing worse than they ever have previously (even if their reviews said they lacked drive at times), that's a reflection on you as much as it is on them.
There's a difference between having less motivation because of a situation, and flat out not putting in a minimal acceptable level of effort.

PLD's effort level will eventually drop again under Hiller, just like it always has with every coach he's played for.

Reactions: chris kontos

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
You like the scatter brain line combos right now because we're winning. When the Kings hit a rut it will be one of the things Hiller gets criticized for.

Everything in moderation, but this team needed a shake-up in it's lines.

He doesn't seem too interested in giving guys like Turcotte or Kaliyev much TOI.

The Kings only chance at making a run is by using depth and keeping everyone energetic.

I agree, but it seems like not because he doesn't like them as players, but for the perimeter folks he seems to not want to play them when Kings are defending a lead. That will need to change, hopefully these guys can start earning some trust/be given some trust

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
His motivation should be his 8.5mil paycheck -- you want to get paid that much, you do whatever is asked of you and you do it well.

Reactions: YAYSAY

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
There's a difference between having less motivation because of a situation, and flat out not putting in a minimal acceptable level of effort.

PLD's effort level will eventually drop again under Hiller, just like it always has with every coach he's played for.
Cool. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. My point is that TM doesn't know how to get the best out of ANY player and PLD is just one example among a career loaded with other examples.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
His motivation should be his 8.5mil paycheck -- you want to get paid that much, you do whatever is asked of you and you do it well.
Lol true, it's not really comparable to an office type job set up with a manager giving you crappy duties while you're making 70k a year. He'll be making more than most people can dream in only 8 years, he'll never have to work again and his family for future generations will be set. Surely he can motivate himself to try a little bit in the 17 minutes TOI he gets even if he didn't like Todd. And it's one thing if things aren't going his way, bad linemates, puck luck, etc, those can be considered, but way too many times did PLD look like he simply didn't even care to try, that's the difference.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

Hiller played Doughty an asinine 26 minutes last night. In a game against Columbus that LA lead the whole time.

Kopitar's TOI has gone up since Hiller came on board.

i think that was kinda the goal of spreading QB around, give every line a spark plug to get them going without benching a whole line. turc and kaliyev were victims of it eventually but they also both had solid showings

given, a big factor in the whole situation was losing arvidsson the moment they touched the ice

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Weird that you can put together complete sentences…
Sure the hell wasn't because of teachers...I taught myself English,Reading Writing and Arithmetic and pretty much everything else under the Sun though I did have some decent to good even fun Profs in College and University with 1-2 good ones in Elementary and Jr High...but that's it so for the Teaching "profession" that's not a good average...actually pretty much most would be "Minor Leaguers" in the big picture and its the same all over in Canada and States I imagine

When I saw Byfield's goal last night, I didn't even cheer. I let out an audible gasp and was just in complete shock of what I just witnessed and it was even better on the replay. Just absolutely stunning.

What's also great to see is him succeeding away from Kopi's line. If he can make Dubois look good, he might be even more special than we realized.
Yabba Dabba Doo!!!

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I don't think I've ever seen Byfield lose a 50/50 puck battle this year. He's a magician in the corners, and that makes any line stronger
Frolovesque.

Imagine if PLD will score another 13 goals and 13 assists in the remaining 28 games. Which is not out of question.

He will end up with a respectable 26 goals (i do not like uneven numbers) and 52 points. Not $8.5M worthy though.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Lol true, it's not really comparable to an office type job set up with a manager giving you crappy duties while you're making 70k a year. He'll be making more than most people can dream in only 8 years, he'll never have to work again and his family for future generations will be set. Surely he can motivate himself to try a little bit in the 17 minutes TOI he gets even if he didn't like Todd. And it's one thing if things aren't going his way, bad linemates, puck luck, etc, those can be considered, but way too many times did PLD look like he simply didn't even care to try, that's the difference.
Sure it is. If you were getting paid millions of dollars a year and your boss got replaced by a total prick who didn't like you, you're certainly not going to go to the wall for them. These people are human beings and being paid a lot doesn't turn off your emotions.

I mean, you can't on one hand expect these guys to sacrifice their bodies and everything to stop a puck from going in the net and have that fire and then also be surprised when they're emotional about being treated like shit.

I mean, can anyone name a player that TM got the best out of in his entire career of coaching? Can you name any guys that seemed to disappear or underperform while he was their coach? You think that's a coincidence?

• Wow
Reactions: Faterson

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Sure it is. If you were getting paid millions of dollars a year and your boss got replaced by a total prick who didn't like you, you're certainly not going to go to the wall for them. These people are human beings and being paid a lot doesn't turn off your emotions.

I mean, you can't on one hand expect these guys to sacrifice their bodies and everything to stop a puck from going in the net and have that fire and then also be surprised when they're emotional about being treated like shit.

I mean, can anyone name a player that TM got the best out of in his entire career of coaching? Can you name any guys that seemed to disappear or underperform while he was their coach? You think that's a coincidence?
You are trying too hard, bud.

PLD has had the same problem under every coach, but somehow it's TMac's fault.
TM eats babies and worships the devil….never forget.

• Haha
Reactions: Frolov 6'3

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
PLD has had the same problem under every coach, but somehow it's TMac's fault.
Boy you just can't let go of PLD. Before PLD was on the Kings, did TM have a reputation for getting the most out of his teams or players? I'm not sure how much simpler I can make it for you.

Reactions: kinghock

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3