GDT: 2023-24 season game 54 LA Kings vs Columbus Blue Jackets @7:30pm 2/20/24

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Boy you just can't let go of PLD.
I love the lack of self awareness

Before PLD was on the Kings, did TM have a reputation for getting the most out of his teams or players? I'm not sure how much simpler I can make it for you.

This is really the crux of it.

I mean PLD is PLD, but TM has this history at every stop. There's not one player who overperformed under him, there are PLENTY who underperformed, and the evidence is in the performance bump of every single team he has left.
Look, I don't want to come off as TMac lover here; because I'm not. I have my criticisms of him, but I think some of the complaints about him are over the top.

I think his reputation has always been a guy who wins a lot in the regular season and comes up short in the playoffs. I honestly don't recall him having much of a rep (positive or negative) about individual players. I could be wrong about that.

Seems like Danault, Moore, Kempe, Anderson, Roy all became their best under him. I'm not necessarily giving him credit for it (correlation does not equal causality), but whether a player "over performs" or not, has a lot to do with coincidental timing.

I actually think Tmac got ALOT out of that 20-21 team.

I think he probably deserved to get fired. Things get stale and you have to make a change. But I don't really blame him for much of the teams problems.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
McLellan took a team coming out of a rebuild and got them into the playoffs twice. That was likely his stated responsibility, not development, not nurtuting the stats you guys are seemingly addicted to, not making friends with soft-minded additions.

The problem here was well above him. Trying to grow into a contender with a roster that is 1/3rd faded vets, 1/3rd highly skilled rookies and 1/3rd hired hands is an unnecessary amount of things to juggle. If not burdened with the playoff edict, things here would have seen the same immediate results but with a much brighter future.

McLellan actually did better than anyone should have expected with this mess. Whether or not he was the right man to be behind the wheel, the problems here are with the guys who drew the map, not the driver.

Reactions: johnjm22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I love the lack of self awareness

Look, I don't want to come off as TMac lover here; because I'm not. I have my criticisms of him, but I think some of the complaints about him are over the top.

I think his reputation has always been a guy who wins a lot in the regular season and comes up short in the playoffs. I honestly don't recall him having much of a rep (positive or negative) about individual players. I could be wrong about that.

Seems like Danault, Moore, Kempe, Anderson, Roy all became their best under him. I'm not necessarily giving him credit for it (correlation does not equal causality), but whether a player "over performs" or not, has a lot to do with coincidental timing.

I actually think Tmac got ALOT out of that 20-21 team.

I think he probably deserved to get fired. Things get stale and you have to make a change. But I don't really blame him for much of the teams problems.

Re the 2021 team that's why I compared him to tippett--i think those guys can get blood out of a stone with their systems but cannot adjust a team to get over the hump

I don't think i was unfairly critical, there's now several occasions of these things happening, just stating facts not feelings

now draisaitl had his career year and edm went deeper, sharks thornton was resurgent and went to the finals, kings pld/byfield and suddenly winning again...i don't think i was being hyperbolic. And I'm with you, I don't hate the guy, some of it is just message board bluster, but we can definitely critique TM on his own merits while admitting the problems are beyond him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00