GDT: 2023-24 season game 49 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm 2/10/24

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
without context or additional information I have no idea BUT...

There were three penalties at the end of the second period.

Turcotte doesn't kill penalties and special teams frequently disrupts the flow of normal line changes.

SO... I think what he's trying to say is Turcotte wound up not playing (through no fault of his own) for the second half of the second period.

the first penalty was taken at 12:26 of the 2nd period.

Turcotte's last shift ended at.... 12:26

At the end of that kill the Kings got two line changes out before the next penalty

55-11-9
12-24-22

Then Moore takes a tripping penalty at 16:38

After the Kings killed THAT penalty they got one shift in

55-80-12

and then the OTHER too many men penatly which bled into the third period

So through no fault of his own (other than his part of the 1st penalty).... Turcotte is out of the lineup for 8 minutes of game clock... probably around 16-20 minutes of actual time and then an additional 18 minutes of intermission then the penalty kill at the start of the third....

The kid hasn't had a shift in like 40 minutes maybe?

He's on the fourth line and doesn't play the penalty kill.

Grundstrom and Lewis do.

I don't know if that's the actual explanation... I have no idea if they were punishing Turcotte for his involvement in the too many men penalty.

Hiller did say that he'll use ice time as a carrot as it's one of the few big incentives a coach has to use with his team but even if that IS why he didn't play in the second half of a 4-0 win I wouldn't expect a "players coach" in his first post game press conference that ended in a triumphant shutout victory to toss one of his younger players under the bus when there's a perfectly reasonable explanation available to him.
What Hiller said about it not being fair to put him in af the the penalties rings true. I’m the UK historically young players got rotated in on the occasional 5/5 shift and if the game was decided they sometimes played a bit more. 3 shifts in a game wasn’t uncommon.

Granted I’m talking Euro Semi-Pro level but for the young guys I know they found it hard to play like that. In particular adjusting to the game pace, particularly because they were ‘cold’. I was always of the view it was a dumb way to integrate young players into the lineup… they need to play.

There may be more to it, but I can easily take it at face value..

Reactions: ru4reals

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole

Turcotte doesn't kill penalties and special teams frequently disrupts the flow of normal line changes.

SO... I think what he's trying to say is Turcotte wound up not playing (through no fault of his own) for the second half of the second period.

At the end of that kill the Kings got two line changes out before the next penalty

55-11-9
12-24-22

55-80-12

So through no fault of his own (other than his part of the 1st penalty).... Turcotte is out of the lineup for 8 minutes of game clock... probably around 16-20 minutes of actual time and then an additional 18 minutes of intermission then the penalty kill at the start of the third....

Grundstrom and Lewis do.

I don't know if that's the actual explanation... I have no idea if they were punishing Turcotte for his involvement in the too many men penalty.

Hiller did say that he'll use ice time as a carrot as it's one of the few big incentives a coach has to use with his team but even if that IS why he didn't play in the second half of a 4-0 win I wouldn't expect a "players coach" in his first post game press conference that ended in a triumphant shutout victory to toss one of his younger players under the bus when there's a perfectly reasonable explanation available to him.
I think this is likely right but I can’t ever remember a coach saying this before. Maybe they were never asked about situations like that in the past but I find it weird. I’m sure Turc was grateful for the protection ;-)

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I think this is slowly becoming Byfields team. Wish hed take more ownership right now but its coming along.
This is really his first full season.
He started great and when the losing streak started it was around the time his play tailed off. He wasnt horrible but he was clearly banged up and fatigued.
Coming out of the break he looked great last night.
If hes just a passenger thats 2 of his goals and his assist off the score sheet and they likely dont win.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I think this is slowly becoming Byfields team. Wish hed take more ownership right now but its coming along.
This is really his first full season.
He started great and when the losing streak started it was around the time his play tailed off. He wasnt horrible but he was clearly banged up and fatigued.
Coming out of the break he looked great last night.
If hes just a passenger thats 2 of his goals and his assist off the score sheet and they likely dont win.
In only 4 months, he's transitioned from bust to Captain. Amazing comeback story.

Reactions: KapG

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Its going to be interesting to see what happens to Matt Roy....I almost wish the Kings would move Doughty instead. Cant see how they can keep under the cap....hes a huge part of the defense but also an upcoming UFA.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Its going to be interesting to see what happens to Matt Roy....I almost wish the Kings would move Doughty instead. Cant see how they can keep under the cap....hes a huge part of the defense but also an upcoming UFA.
I will keep banging that drum that they should trade Roy. Sellers market. Premium on defense. Not a lot of picks this year.

They won’t tho. Gotta get that first round exit money.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

55-11-9
12-24-22

55-80-12

Grundstrom and Lewis do.

Not directing this at you but I don't buy anything Hiller is saying. Game is already over with only a few minutes left hell you can maybe put Turcs in for a shift or two. Plus what penalty did Turcotte commit? The too many men was on Kopi I thought.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Seems more like Hiller was desperate to start off with a win and didn't want to risk playing a rookie much when things were going well.

Possibly, but that was a strange....timing of everything, PP, PK 2 min, then PK, then 2 min then PK etc, tough to get a rythm there, see what happens on the road trip

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Not directing this at you but I don't buy anything Hiller is saying. Game is already over with only a few minutes left hell you can maybe put Turcs in for a shift or two. Plus what penalty did Turcotte commit? The too many men was on Kopi I thought.
i'm 50-50 on it, he 100% could have played in garbage time. hiller was more than willing to throw JAD out there for more shifts so protecting the rotation isn't really true

Reactions: ru4reals

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Big points on the line, glad they got the win! Rittich was great!

But they didn’t play all that amazing. They finally kept the lead but did everything in their power to give it away.

Hopefully this isn’t just new coach energy that wears off and the start of them turning a corner.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

But they didn’t play all that amazing. They finally kept the lead but did everything in their power to give it away.

Hopefully this isn’t just new coach energy that wears off and the start of them turning a corner.

Shutout the hottest team in the league and their playoff devils the past 2 years, 4-0, but they didn't play amazing.....

THESE are the takes that are becoming way too normal on this board.....Kings didn't do shit, opposing team handed them the game....and you (collectively) wonder why shit gets called out like this?

Let me ask this, what else COULD THEY HAVE DONE...to "play amazing"

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
i'm 50-50 on it, he 100% could have played in garbage time. hiller was more than willing to throw JAD out there for more shifts so protecting the rotation isn't really true
Couldn't watch the game, did the game get chippy in the 3rd? Either Turc was hurt or Hiller didn't want a-holes like Kane to run him, up 3-0.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Moving Doughty is absolutely the preferred move, but it will never happen for rather obvious reasons.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Turcotte was the one that jumped over the boards early when Kopitar kicked the puck to get the too many men on the ice penalty

He leaps over the boards behind Kopitar as Kopitar was standing at the boards preparing to get off the ice

I have no idea if Kopitar knew he was going to do it or had done it or if the coaching staff really felt like a poor game management play made out of eagerness is worthy of being benched for the second half of the game.... BUT if people want an explanation for what Hiller meant I would assume that's what it was.

IF anyone was particularly inclined to go poking holes in that explanation... Grundstrom didn't play much more than Turcotte in that window yet wasn't "removed" from the game.

I think he was the player selected to sit in the box for both too many men penalties but was out for the first even strength shift after killing the penalty that started the 3rd.

So... I dunno maybe Hiller wanted to give Turcotte a tiny punishment for hopping over the boards early but by the time he even had a chance to keep him off the ice 40-50 minutes would have gone by and at that point he decided it wouldn't be fair for Turcotte to miss one regular shift and then try and get his legs going after not skating for close to an hour so he just shut it down?

Who knows? but more importantly who really cares?

It was a 4-0 win and the coach said Turcotte will be back against Buffalo and I know this is a bubble community where jokes and funny takes get repeated and slowly over time they coalesce into genuine conspiracy theories the generate strong emotional reactions to minor issues but this one in particular doesn't necessarily seem to fit the narrative.

To me anyway...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes