GDT: 2023-24 season game 43 LA kings vs New York Rangers @7:30pm 1/20/24

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
So you think they are going to buy him out... with that contract years and amount it would be the biggest buy out in NHL history .. someone correct me if im wrong ...

the buyout is actually affordable, it gets worse the more we wait

here's an example of a june 2024 buyout vs june 2026

but regardless of the scenario, it's worth it and doesn't totally destroy the cap

1705858755845.png

1705858810592.png

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
PLD on the wing pisses me off to no end. I’d rather have the three we traded away for the same cost.

I wasn’t surprised by trading Quick but it is still a gut punch. It sucked. The tribute was pretty good in the arena tonight. He does seem bitter and I don’t blame him.
PLD to wing is necessary to get him going again, but does sting pretty bad when we could just simply have had Vilardi or even Iafallo there likely outproducing him. The franchise desperately needs a center to take the reins from Kopitar and the organization has now shown they are incapable of finding one at any cost. It is disheartening.

As for Quick, he is a competitor to his core, and his demeanor has always been the same, especially with the media. It was clear that he was emotional, he couldn't hide it, but I wouldn't expect his words to be any different. He thinks that if he acknowledges his feelings or LA then it is disrespectful to his teammates and current organization that he is loyal to, but make no mistake, LA is tattooed on his body, and he cares about the organization, his brothers for life, and the fanbase.

I would wait for his words/emotions during his jersey retirement, but he isn't going to say anything heartfelt by his standards after a loss during the regular season, that is just not who he is. He acknowledged the fanbase by his actions, that was enough for now.

Last edited:

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
If PLD leaves, I think it's more likely is a retaining 25-50% situation (or bad contract back). For the meantime, we are stuck with him for a least a couple years. Until Blake gets fired. With a new GM, a trade like mentioned could happen. But we're a ways away from that.

QB looked great. I simply never understood him not getting the 3C job coming into the season. Winger last year was good for confidence and learning. Back to center this year with guys like GV back on his wing. Perfect. But i guess Blake proving that he knows more than a fool like me.

Really would like to see a better winger with QB than JAD. Someone like Fiala or Kempe. Maybe when Arvi returns, he can join QB (or one of Fiala/Kempe). PLD is gonna wreak Kopi's line production wise. Kempe is ultimately gonna suffer and be wasted.
Retaining on a trade is worse cap wise than buying him out this year. Half his AAV is like a million more than the worst year of cap hit if bought out this summer. Most years the cap hit is less than 2 million, including the first two.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
PLD on Kopitars wing makes it so the whole line isn’t a detriment whenever he is on the ice. I’m waiting for Kempe to lose his shit on PLD.

Maybe the Kings can float it out there that they are looking to trade him before his nmc kicks in and that they will retain or package him to get him out. See if that kicks him in the ass to get him going. He’s brutal out there.

Q’s line was good and he looked good playing center. Got to keep that going.
Watching the game I thought PLD outplayed Kempe tenfold. I don’t think Adrian had a very good game.

Reactions: tny760

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Retaining on a trade is worse cap wise than buying him out this year. Half his AAV is like a million more than the worst year of cap hit if bought out this summer. Most years the cap hit is less than 2 million, including the first two.
But that's only because it goes out twice as many years in a buy-out.

Regardless, the buy out in NOT gonna happen. It's fantasy land. Whether it makes sense or not. No way Blake can do that after trading so much and giving that huge contract just 12 month before. Zero chance. Only real chance would be if Blake got fired and the new sheriff in town did it -- even then, it's still pretty much fan boards fairy land stuff. Not to mention, Blake getting fired this summer is close to that too. If he id, Berg may very well be the one in line to take over and we sure in heck know he ain't buying out PLD.

Reactions: tkb81 and tny760

bland

Jul 1, 2004
So you think they are going to buy him out... with that contract years and amount it would be the biggest buy out in NHL history .. someone correct me if im wrong ...
Buying him out this summer would only see the Kings on the hook for 1/3rd of the deal.

Its financially responsible to buy him out this summer. The cap savings would be spectacular. Paying this bum $8.5 for 7 more years is worse than nipping it in the bud.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Luc is great friends with Pat Brisson, who represents Dubois. I think Luc got suckered by his close friend in going all in for a player who has a reputation of pulling this off, and he has quickly worn out his welcome here by his ‘don’t give a shit’ effort and off-putting body language.

They somehow obtained a lazier, less committed version of Dustin Penner.

This is a regime killing mistake. How stupid is Luc for getting suckered into this. A casual fan researching this guy would see all the red flags.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
One thing I would say in Dubois favor - he may perform better in a less rigid, more attack based offensive system that allows more emotion in the game. Same goes for Kaliyev and Fagemo.

The 1-3-1 neuters you and puts structure at the forefront of a game that is still won by emotion.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I didn't get to see the game.

How did QB look at center?

How did PLD look on wing? (more of the same I presume)

PLD at wing is an admission of failure. The whole point was to bring in an established center.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Watching PLD is like watching the last 6-7 years of Brown's career where he can't make a pass, can't receive a pass, can't skate and handle the puck at the same time, and generally just doesn't give a shit.
"LAst" 6-7 years...coat-tails rode his career on the back of Kopi-Star and his friendship nothing less or more for Dusty Bottoms!!!

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

PLD at wing is an admission of failure. The whole point was to bring in an established center.
That "3rd" line actually looked pretty good and Byfield got to carry the puck down the middle which opens up "avenues" and paths

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

You never know what was on Blake's mind when he traded for "Lucien DeBlois"...Maybe he thought to protect himself for the day Kopi-Star fell off the map and became a 3rd liner...don't know...maybe he thought Byfield just wasn't going to do it...one thing is for sure at this point PLD has been a disappointment and not very effective with anyone except Kempe for a brief period and I mean brief...now Kempe is being shut-out playing with Kopi and DuBlois cause Kopi's trying to feed and get him going while Kempe looks and asks WTF

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
One thing I would say in Dubois favor - he may perform better in a less rigid, more attack based offensive system that allows more emotion in the game. Same goes for Kaliyev and Fagemo.

The 1-3-1 neuters you and puts structure at the forefront of a game that is still won by emotion.
Actually what I'll say is DuBlois was playing 3rd line with 2 unknowns and asking why the f*** am I playing 3rd line with 2 no bodies and maybe never-will-bes...who knows how PLD thinks. The more I watch him the more I think what is it about his game that made 2 Organizations to trade and players to think he was the problem...He is lazy and not the Star of Kopi...never will be in 100 lifetimes combined, system or no system...have to wait until we make the play-offs and play Vegas or Edmonton cause you know that's going to happen or not...maybe the Kings continue to sputter and falter and don't even make the Final 16 Play-off "Tourny"

Reactions: RocketKing

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As much as I dislike the trade and PLD's performance, I hope nobody's an asshole to him at a charity event

Yep, that he's jumping into charity work so quickly here is a really nice sign too

Like TM i have no qualms with PLD as a human being, and I have no doubt he wants to be in this location. It's the hockey that's questionable.

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
PLD on the wing pisses me off to no end. I’d rather have the three we traded away for the same cost.

I wasn’t surprised by trading Quick but it is still a gut punch. It sucked. The tribute was pretty good in the arena tonight. He does seem bitter and I don’t blame him.
I would have rather kept Vilardi and had the cap space

Reactions: fsanford

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
No one should be mean to him, but a nudge would be nice. “WOW it’d be nice if I got paid 8 million to just glide around, you got lucky”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad