GDT: 2023-24 season game 43 LA kings vs New York Rangers @7:30pm 1/20/24

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
One thing I would say in Dubois favor - he may perform better in a less rigid, more attack based offensive system that allows more emotion in the game. Same goes for Kaliyev and Fagemo.

The 1-3-1 neuters you and puts structure at the forefront of a game that is still won by emotion.
I think Koala looks at JAD as the prototype - doesnt excel at anything isnt really bad at anything - a perfect cog in the egalitarian system where nobody stands out and there is no excellence.. players like Kaliyev and Clarke are doomed with this guy.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
But that's only because it goes out twice as many years in a buy-out.

Regardless, the buy out in NOT gonna happen. It's fantasy land. Whether it makes sense or not. No way Blake can do that after trading so much and giving that huge contract just 12 month before. Zero chance. Only real chance would be if Blake got fired and the new sheriff in town did it -- even then, it's still pretty much fan boards fairy land stuff. Not to mention, Blake getting fired this summer is close to that too. If he id, Berg may very well be the one in line to take over and we sure in heck know he ain't buying out PLD.
finally some real thought .. i get it .. no one likes the dude but its just not happening

Reactions: Schrute farms

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Adding to the stupidity is that the Kings need right hand shots and Vilardi was one.
Think Blake was shooting for all LH forwards and all RH defense.. but seriously though how do you look at your roster and cap and think this PLD is just the guy we need, malcontent, low effort and now we have top 6 of all left and no RH (save RV) on the PP. Left himself 4.5 mil for 3LD and both goalies. There is no logic in this signing.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Yep, that he's jumping into charity work so quickly here is a really nice sign too

Like TM i have no qualms with PLD as a human being, and I have no doubt he wants to be in this location. It's the hockey that's questionable.
I’ll tickle some dog’s balls for charity for only 4 million. Think of the cap savings!!

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
PLD to wing is necessary to get him going again, but does sting pretty bad when we could just simply have had Vilardi or even Iafallo there likely outproducing him. The franchise desperately needs a center to take the reins from Kopitar and the organization has now shown they are incapable of finding one at any cost. It is disheartening.

As for Quick, he is a competitor to his core, and his demeanor has always been the same, especially with the media. It was clear that he was emotional, he couldn't hide it, but I wouldn't expect his words to be any different. He thinks that if he acknowledges his feelings or LA then it is disrespectful to his teammates and current organization that he is loyal to, but make no mistake, LA is tattooed on his body, and he cares about the organization, his brothers for life, and the fanbase.

I would wait for his words/emotions during his jersey retirement, but he isn't going to say anything heartfelt by his standards after a loss during the regular season, that is just not who he is. He acknowledged the fanbase by his actions, that was enough for now.
When Quickie was named a 3 star of the game he would skate all of 2 feet.

He is not one to draw attention to himself. Never has been.

But there were tears in his eyes during the ceremony or maybe those were mine. :)

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Great win. King's dominated most of the game. Shut down a top power play. Need to find the net more.

Don't worry. Y'all got plenty of time to warm up to PLD. You'll get there. Love his game.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I really do wonder how bad it would have to get for LA to buy him out. If we bought him out this summer, he’d be on the books until 2038!

I can’t imagine Blake would still be GM if we were actually considering buying out Dubois.

I'd say Blake will no longer be GM if it gets to that point.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I would have rather kept Vilardi and had the cap space

Same. But thats the thing, we had none, until the trades. Had things stayed the same , with Valardi signing the exact same bridge deal @ 3.5mil [ he was going to arbitration] , and Kupari getting a small increase to a mil, we'd have less than 500k left for goalies. Once Durzi was traded, we had just enough to to sign both Talbot and Riddik. Moving AI and his 4mil contract would've been hard to get the extra space. Not a lot of teams are gonna take on 4mil just for picks.

Last edited:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Same. But thats the thing, we had none, until the trades. Had things stayed the same , with Valardi signing the exact same bridge deal @ 3.5mil [ he was going to arbitration] , and Kupari getting a small increase to a mil, we'd have less than 500k left for goalies. Once Durzi was traded, we had just enough to to sign both Talbot and Riddik. Moving AI and his 4mil contract would've been hard to get the extra space. Not a lot of teams are gonna take on 4mil just for picks.
How are you THIS bad with not being able to spell players names? Vilardi. Rittich.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Buying him out this summer would only see the Kings on the hook for 1/3rd of the deal.

Its financially responsible to buy him out this summer. The cap savings would be spectacular. Paying this bum $8.5 for 7 more years is worse than nipping it in the bud.
It’d only be a (remote) possibility if Blake gets fired.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
What do you love about it?
Big, one of the few forwards that hits guys, draws penalties from getting under the other teams skin. PL also goes to the net. Points & Chemistry will come.

Kopi, PL, Byfield are massive & hard to control in front of the net. King's need to start crashing.

People have unreal expectations. They don't realize salaries have gone up, Nylander for instance 11+? Also some are butthurt about Vilardi or Iafallo for some reason.

The recent losing streak has people in panic mode. Didn't expect the King's to finish much above the wild card this year. Maybe 3rd in Pacific. Things are right on track. The losing streak won't continue forever.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Big, one of the few forwards that hits guys, draws penalties from getting under the other teams skin. PL also goes to the net. Points & Chemistry will come.

Kopi, PL, Byfield are massive & hard to control in front of the net. King's need to start crashing.

People have unreal expectations. They don't realize salaries have gone up, Nylander for instance 11+? Also some are butthurt about Vilardi or Iafallo for some reason.

The recent losing streak has people in panic mode. Didn't expect the King's to finish much above the wild card this year. Maybe 3rd in Pacific. Things are right on track. The losing streak won't continue forever.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

When the GM tells me we're a contender, goes out and sells the farm for a 3C, trades years of 1st and 2nd round picks to open the window early, is capped out and can't make moves or even carry a full roster daily, you're damn straight I'm going to expect the team to actually do better than the previous year, and surely a f***ton better than "well we should be around the wildcard."

It's okay to be positive, but if it's panic mode/unreal/butthurt to want my team to win more than 5 out of 21 games, then you are a pig happily rolling in his own shit to be calling things 'right on track.' That's a lottery pace, we're competing with the Sharks over the last quarter season!

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Did anyone else notice PLD covered Kopitar and tried to tie up his stick when they both were playing in front of Rittich? There wasn't a single Ranger around.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
When the GM tells me we're a contender, goes out and sells the farm for a 3C, trades years of 1st and 2nd round picks to open the window early, is capped out and can't make moves or even carry a full roster daily, you're damn straight I'm going to expect the team to actually do better than the previous year, and surely a f***ton better than "well we should be around the wildcard."

This is what kills me....for that haul they get a guy who appears to have absolutely no fire in his belly at all. Say what you will about Richards but he hit, he fought, could play the PK. Its Like they traded the farm for Craig Johnson about paid him like he was Tkachuk.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad