GDT: 2023-24 season game 21 LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche @5:00pm 12/3/23 The "Yes we are playing today" edition

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
This is such an underrated positive.

The team seems to gel REALLY well together and these guys are clearly having a ton of fun while playing the game at a really high level.

Winning does that for sure - But I think with the Kings its more than just "everyone's happy because the team is winning" - It legitimately feels like a special group IMO.
Paper roster was easily the most talented Kings team in forever but it didn't mean anything if they didn't start being a real team. Have seen way more signs of that as the season has gone on which is great to see.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
View attachment 777718

Well, we need more vs. what we've given up...

I think his play is strong and steadily improving but he hasn't gotten us anything but two minuses in the last two games and is currently on pace for 43 points. Those point totals got Iafallo et. al. absolutely eviscerated by this forum, so why should PLD be an exception, especially at 8.5m?

Like we're already catering to this guy. Soft ass minutes with no PK time, preferential PP deployment, 3rd line with whatever linemates he wants, 8.5m on a max deal. We're wiping his ass for him. I'd at least like a reacharound.
Exactly. He's getting paid a lot and has a few linemates shuffled around to accommodate him. He was put on a line with a sniper (Kaliyev) as well as the second highest scorer on the team last season (Fiala).

Notice how other newcomers aren't getting near the same vitriol?

And a lot of us have backed off on remarking about players when they've improved. My comments about Kempe's early-season behaviors are no longer concerns of mine. People just bring up Fiala's offensive zone penalties, because it's enough of an issue where Fox mentions it. Most have backed off regarding Englund and Byfield.

It's a discussion board where good and bad get discussed. Bad gets focused on more by virtue of people like seeing problems get fixed to alleviate concerns. If you want a circle-jerk of just singing praises, feel free to start a "positivity only" thread or a private chat.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
KP is one of my favourite posters but he really has it in for PLD, he’s not picking on you in any way. He’s just beating up on PLD in the same way Fiala gets picked on by @Trash Panda and Byfield gets bullied by @Sol (I’m playing guys before anyone gets grumpy :naughty: ).

The second one was just a glorified tip in, so neither count.

Plenty of us were preaching patience with QB, as you well know. Let’s not rewrite history.
To be fair, I also hate PL with every fiber of my being as well.

I’m an equal opportunity discriminator.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
That's the first time I've heard "going to the dirty areas" referred to as "least conventional".
I think you’re obfuscating my point. When have you heard of a player not scoring wrist shots but exclusively getting tips and tap ins.

To be frank I think he’s been good just the wrist shot department is definitely unusual. Weird to gloss over that.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think you’re obfuscating my point. When have you heard of a player not scoring wrist shots but exclusively getting tips and tap ins.

To be frank I think he’s been good just the wrist shot department is definitely unusual. Weird to gloss over that.
Tomas Holmstrom made a career in front of the net for Detroit.

He's now tied for fifth on the team in goals scored, tied with Kevin Fiala. He's doubled his output from last season in 40% of the games he played last season.

I can't speak for Jesse, and I've touched on it before, but it just feels like goal-post moving. It went from he needs to score more goals, to he needs to score a "real" goal, to now it's bringing up not having a wrist shot.

There are certain areas of improvement, and sure, he would benefit from building his arsenal of shots to add more variety. I know the goalpost moving isn't your intention, but in the context of how arguments and discussions have evolved, that's how it comes across to me at times - I can only guess that others may be interpreting it the same way.

EmuRidingLuffy

Jun 4, 2022
QLD, Australia
I'm sure like everyone, I'd just like to see Byfield come barrelling down the ice or off a cycle and beat a goalie clean with a shot. Which 1. It'd be very cool to see and 2. Is the one thing I guess keeping him from being a 'complete' beast of a player.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Your point is valid. But QB has broken through and is a success. I think the appetite to discuss such faults is a low after such a momentus development. For sure his shot is weak right now. But he is scoring goals this year - and its due to his intelligence and hard work.. thats results. You have to recall he wasnt getting results in almost any department but puck retrieval.. now about the only area that needs major work is his shot.. im ok with that if he continues what he's doing.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
the only 'problem' with QB's shot goes back to juniors even and that's his release. He has a giant sweeping wrist shot. It's hard and accurate but you can see why it always gets blocked or tipped in the NHL, no time to wind up across half the zone.

Like Kempe (and Moore), I think he'll work on and figure that part out, but obviously up till now that was less important than everything else. Byfield with a disguised release is going to be absolutely lethal.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The underrated part of shooting in the NHL is the ability to actually get the shot off.

It's harder than it looks on TV. Limited time and space. There's always guys in the shooting lane (you can't really tell from the TV angle). You're usually being harassed.

But also, he's not really playing the "shooter" role on the line. Kopitar is mostly the one getting setup for shots now.

Byfield's shooting ability is fine. He just has to figure some things out.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Tomas Holmstrom made a career in front of the net for Detroit.

He's now tied for fifth on the team in goals scored, tied with Kevin Fiala. He's doubled his output from last season in 40% of the games he played last season.

I can't speak for Jesse, and I've touched on it before, but it just feels like goal-post moving. It went from he needs to score more goals, to he needs to score a "real" goal, to now it's bringing up not having a wrist shot.

There are certain areas of improvement, and sure, he would benefit from building his arsenal of shots to add more variety. I know the goalpost moving isn't your intention, but in the context of how arguments and discussions have evolved, that's how it comes across to me at times - I can only guess that others may be interpreting it the same way.
If I was moving goalposts why would I agree that he’s been really good but his inability to put in wrists shot is a concern of mine. I’m happy he’s finding other ways to score but wrist shots are the most important way to score a goal in the NHL so I am pretty concerned that he seems to be doing everything but that. Will it come with time? Maybe, but yeah man he needs to start potting these goals for sure because I don’t see that being viable if he’s top line at everything with Trevor Lewis level shot. That’s just it.

I feel like some of you guys are holding my sentiments in regards from Byfield of last year against me when he was objectively bad last year. I’ve not said that he’s been bad this year and I’ve praised his improvements.

Reactions: kilowatt and Statto

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I feel like some of you guys are holding my sentiments in regards from Byfield of last year against me when he was objectively bad last year. I’ve not said that he’s been bad this year and I’ve praised his improvements.
If anyone is holding anything against you (and you are not the only one) it's cause you weren't mature enough to realize QB was a f***ing kid of a player who needed patience, time, before we would experience his potential, talent and the reasons he was drafted so high. Instead, you compared him to Stutzle, wrote him off and claimed that the org was clueless in their draft choices and develpment. I mean, c'mon dude....stop obfuscating and own it.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

21Dog

Mar 29, 2007
Tulare, Ca
the only 'problem' with QB's shot goes back to juniors even and that's his release. He has a giant sweeping wrist shot. It's hard and accurate but you can see why it always gets blocked or tipped in the NHL, no time to wind up across half the zone.

Like Kempe (and Moore), I think he'll work on and figure that part out, but obviously up till now that was less important than everything else. Byfield with a disguised release is going to be absolutely lethal.
Baby steps.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Maybe, but yeah man he needs to start potting these goals for sure because I don’t see that being viable if he’s top line at everything with Trevor Lewis level shot. That’s just it.

Bro that's just not true at all.

.....Trevor Lewis gets his shot thru :naughty:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Ryan Smyth comes to mind.

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
I feel like some of you guys are holding my sentiments in regards from Byfield of last year against me when he was objectively bad last year.
Byfield was not objectively bad last year. He objectively didn't score much last year, and he was objectively inconsistent, though not glaringly so considering his age. Objectively, he was pretty good last year in terms of driving possession and contributing to his line being a dangerous one. Anze's comments after the last game about Byfield speak to that: things don't always show up on the score sheet, but there's a reason both AKs love playing with him (as opposed to, say, Fiala, who got deported from the Kopitar line almost immediately).

I think he underwhelmed in part because of his draft pedigree, but not many 6'5" projects are taken at #2. His development path was always going to be unique compared to the Stutzles and Zegras' of the the world.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Byfield was not objectively bad last year. He objectively didn't score much last year, and he was objectively inconsistent, though not glaringly so considering his age. Objectively, he was pretty good last year in terms of driving possession and contributing to his line being a dangerous one. Anze's comments after the last game about Byfield speak to that: things don't always show up on the score sheet, but there's a reason both AKs love playing with him (as opposed to, say, Fiala, who got deported from the Kopitar line almost immediately).

I think he underwhelmed in part because of his draft pedigree, but not many 6'5" projects are taken at #2. His development path was always going to be unique compared to the Stutzles and Zegras' of the the world.
And after 20 games this season, would anyone here swap Byfield for Zegras?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
We are holding your sentiments against you. Because you continue to assert he was objectively bad. And you were using his 3 goals as the benchmark and the biggest evidence of him being objectively bad. And you're still showing dissatisfaction with his shooting capabilities despite vast improvements in every area, including his strengths.

There were multiple times the past six months you said he's slow and doesn't do anything well. You had to ask the rest of us what we saw in him. And say "one thing" he does well.

We told you how he's deviated from his habits in juniors, his strength on the boards, and how he would get opportunities that would not go in. And how he'd set up others. Heck, even after assists were taken away early in the season, the narrative was "he has to score. No excuses" (not specifically from you).

So, when you still feel he was objectively bad last season after we've pointed out where his game has grown, still commenting on every non-wrist shot goal (whether it misses or a different type of shot goes in) comes across as, for lack of a better phrase, an axe to grind.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
We are holding your sentiments against you. Because you continue to assert he was objectively bad. And you were using his 3 goals as the benchmark and the biggest evidence of him being objectively bad. And you're still showing dissatisfaction with his shooting capabilities despite vast improvements in every area, including his strengths.

There were multiple times the past six months you said he's slow and doesn't do anything well. You had to ask the rest of us what we saw in him. And say "one thing" he does well.

We told you how he's deviated from his habits in juniors, his strength on the boards, and how he would get opportunities that would not go in. And how he'd set up others. Heck, even after assists were taken away early in the season, the narrative was "he has to score. No excuses" (not specifically from you).

So, when you still feel he was objectively bad last season after we've pointed out where his game has grown, still commenting on every non-wrist shot goal (whether it misses or a different type of shot goes in) comes across as, for lack of a better phrase, an axe to grind.
Hold on a second, weren’t most of the board shitting on Iafallo for not producing points even though he was playing well enough outside of the scoresheet? Yeah I can say he was objectively bad last year because byfield wasn’t scoring shit on the top line. I’ve maintained that stance throughout. And I’ve since then have said he’s doing a lot of things right but his shot is horrible. Just because he’s doing better I feel like you among others means that everything is gravy now. It’s a lot better now his game, but his shot is still really bad. I don’t know why you guys act like it’s such a controversial statement. The only thing lacking in his game heavily right now is his shot, and to pretend that’s not important is complete dishonesty. I’ve brushed off the snide comments but it’s getting irritating how much sensitivity there is in regards to his shot as if it’s a subjective opinion when it’s an objective fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00