GDT: 2023-24 season game 21 LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche @5:00pm 12/3/23 The "Yes we are playing today" edition

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
We are holding your sentiments against you. Because you continue to assert he was objectively bad. And you were using his 3 goals as the benchmark and the biggest evidence of him being objectively bad. And you're still showing dissatisfaction with his shooting capabilities despite vast improvements in every area, including his strengths.

There were multiple times the past six months you said he's slow and doesn't do anything well. You had to ask the rest of us what we saw in him. And say "one thing" he does well.

We told you how he's deviated from his habits in juniors, his strength on the boards, and how he would get opportunities that would not go in. And how he'd set up others. Heck, even after assists were taken away early in the season, the narrative was "he has to score. No excuses" (not specifically from you).

So, when you still feel he was objectively bad last season after we've pointed out where his game has grown, still commenting on every non-wrist shot goal (whether it misses or a different type of shot goes in) comes across as, for lack of a better phrase, an axe to grind.
Anyone who contends that Byfield was “objectively bad” last year reveals that he doesn’t understand much about hockey and what’s occurring on the ice other than “sometime puck go in net.”

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Byfield was not objectively bad last year. He objectively didn't score much last year, and he was objectively inconsistent, though not glaringly so considering his age. Objectively, he was pretty good last year in terms of driving possession and contributing to his line being a dangerous one. Anze's comments after the last game about Byfield speak to that: things don't always show up on the score sheet, but there's a reason both AKs love playing with him (as opposed to, say, Fiala, who got deported from the Kopitar line almost immediately).

I think he underwhelmed in part because of his draft pedigree, but not many 6'5" projects are taken at #2. His development path was always going to be unique compared to the Stutzles and Zegras' of the the world.
He had 3 goals in 52 games. That says enough to me how he was playing. He missed numerous scoring chances and he was pretty bad regardless of what the line stats suggests. It was not difficult to see who was the weakest player on the top line last year. That fact he has more goals now in December then had all of last year should tell you how he was last year.

Anyone who contends that Byfield was “objectively bad” last year reveals that he doesn’t understand much about hockey and what’s occurring on the ice other than “sometime puck go in net.”
I guess you can grandstand on those 3 goals in 52 games while getting top line minutes as “you look so good even though you can’t produce”

Didn’t know the NHL has become a charity league where we celebrate exclusively effort and ignore production. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror because you don’t seem to understand the importance of production.

Lizzotte should get top line minutes then since he tries the hardest.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I dont want to rely too much on looking at numbers and charts and not the game but if you look at byfiels shooting locations, shooting percentage etc over his entire hockey career at multiple levels and not hyper focus on 20-60 games where hes playing wing and specifically playing a game predicated on board work and net front presenceI think you'll find that his shooting isn't really a concern...

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Hold on a second, weren’t most of the board shitting on Iafallo for not producing points even though he was playing well enough outside of the scoresheet? Yeah I can say he was objectively bad last year because byfield wasn’t scoring shit on the top line. I’ve maintained that stance throughout. And I’ve since then have said he’s doing a lot of things right but his shot is horrible. Just because he’s doing better I feel like you among others means that everything is gravy now. It’s a lot better now his game, but his shot is still really bad. I don’t know why you guys act like it’s such a controversial statement. The only thing lacking in his game heavily right now is his shot, and to pretend that’s not important is complete dishonesty. I’ve brushed off the snide comments but it’s getting irritating how much sensitivity there is in regards to his shot as if it’s a subjective opinion when it’s an objective fact.
It's okay to admit you were wrong every once in a while. It happens.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hold on a second, weren’t most of the board shitting on Iafallo for not producing points even though he was playing well enough outside of the scoresheet?
One of those people was not me. And if someone wants to bring up Iafallo's play, I'll have a discussion with them.
Yeah I can say he was objectively bad last year because byfield wasn’t scoring shit on the top line. I’ve maintained that stance throughout.
You were commenting on more than his shot. And there's more to hockey than scoring goals.
And I’ve since then have said he’s doing a lot of things right but his shot is horrible. Just because he’s doing better I feel like you among others means that everything is gravy now.
Not in the slightest. Just that there are certain battles to pick. Adding disqualifiers like "he needs to score a 'real' shot on a 'real' goalie" just seems silly. He has room for improvement. He's improved a lot since the offseason.

The collective we are simply appreciating the progress he's made while acknowledging he has room for improvement, and we won't see everything right away.
It’s a lot better now his game, but his shot is still really bad. I don’t know why you guys act like it’s such a controversial statement. The only thing lacking in his game heavily right now is his shot, and to pretend that’s not important is complete dishonesty. I’ve brushed off the snide comments but it’s getting irritating how much sensitivity there is in regards to his shot as if it’s a subjective opinion when it’s an objective fact.
Complaining about Byfield's shot is like complaining about Spence's physicality. We know there's room for improvement. But we're more excited about continuing to enjoy the growth of his game more than worrying about one aspect.

If you want to limit your scope to his shot, more power to you. But when you are down on one of the "objectively best" players on the team in his overall quality of play, you're going to get push back.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
One of those people was not me. And if someone wants to bring up Iafallo's play, I'll have a discussion with them.

You were commenting on more than his shot. And there's more to hockey than scoring goals.

Not in the slightest. Just that there are certain battles to pick. Adding disqualifiers like "he needs to score a 'real' shot on a 'real' goalie" just seems silly. He has room for improvement. He's improved a lot since the offseason.

The collective we are simply appreciating the progress he's made while acknowledging he has room for improvement, and we won't see everything right away.

Complaining about Byfield's shot is like complaining about Spence's physicality. We know there's room for improvement. But we're more excited about continuing to enjoy the growth of his game more than worrying about one aspect.

If you want to limit your scope to his shot, more power to you. But when you are down on one of the "objectively best" players on the team in his overall quality of play, you're going to get push back.
You want me to cart blanche everything he's done so far as great just because he's playing much better? I don't know why you guys are so hell bent on being hostile for a massive OBJECTIVE criticism of his game. He was objectively mediocre last year if I am being charitable. There was a reason why even the Kings media was vocalizing that they needed a lot more from his this year. Even Jim Fox of all people acknowledged that Byfield was a passenger on the top line last year.

It's okay to admit you were wrong every once in a while. It happens.
You must have me confused with someone else because I have said Byfield has been good this year, however I suspect the lot of you would callously use the age excuse if he didn't take a big step forward this year. I am on record for updating my stances when there's reason for it. I don't think you guys could say the same. Especially the ones who are complaining childishly over a valid critique.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Byfield had 2 bad wrists last year, no wonder he hasn't developed a wrist shot. He also is finally using a longer stick (and it could even be longer). Still only 21 with over a year lost to injury/sickness. He has surpassed Lafreniere (who is almost a year older and also lost development due to Covid shut-down). Still need to see if Byfield will end up as a Center or Winger though. Definitely a 1st line player (as a high draft pick should be). Still not yet elite.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You want me to cart blanche everything he's done so far as great just because he's playing much better? I don't know why you guys are so hell bent on being hostile for a massive OBJECTIVE criticism of his game. He was objectively mediocre last year if I am being charitable. There was a reason why even the Kings media was vocalizing that they needed a lot more from his this year. Even Jim Fox of all people acknowledged that Byfield was a passenger on the top line last year.
Being a passenger is very different from being objectively bad. One is a mindset, the other is a skill. And the mindset is explained when Byfield had to spend the first few seasons not having the coach's trust to put him in big situations.

As far as what I want you to do - you do you. I enjoy the discussion. I just think you're not picking battles wisely as far as bringing up his wrist shot when he's finding other ways to score, which was the original complaint.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Are you guys SERIOUSLY arguing with Sol, he's shown his hockey knowledge to be SEVERELY lacking, he has no understanding of the game, the BEST thing you can say about his knowledge, is that he knows there are 32 teams....and he's a fan of L.A.

He doesn't understand the flow, the positioning, the little things that separate top liners from bottom liners, the only thing he can compute his goals, he would take a 20 goal scorer with 5 assists, over a 5 goal scorer with 50 assists, because he literally has no understanding of the game...

It's absoltely comical that you guys are entertaining that.....

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Some of you need to stop indulging the ski lift mechanic that thinks he’s justified talking down to the board certified doctor about internal medicine because he read a couple memes on instagram.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Are you guys SERIOUSLY arguing with Sol, he's shown his hockey knowledge to be SEVERELY lacking, he has no understanding of the game, the BEST thing you can say about his knowledge, is that he knows there are 32 teams....and he's a fan of L.A.

He doesn't understand the flow, the positioning, the little things that separate top liners from bottom liners, the only thing he can compute his goals, he would take a 20 goal scorer with 5 assists, over a 5 goal scorer with 50 assists, because he literally has no understanding of the game...

It's absoltely comical that you guys are entertaining that.....
I don’t know how you could say that. Just cause he’s missed the mark on a few things (like Vilardi and Byfield being busts, Kempe being an anomaly, team regression, etc) doesn’t mean he’s totally clueless.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Now that QBs stepped up who is next on Sols sh!t list? Laf? Spence and his lack of triple deke goals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad