GDT: 2023-24 season game 21 LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche @5:00pm 12/3/23 The "Yes we are playing today" edition

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
A good win against a good team, albeit missing their best player. I’d chalk the first period and a half to rust, but the Kings really took it to them after that. I wouldn’t even attribute much of that to this being a b2b for the Avs, as they just started to play their game and the Avs had no answer. This Kings team is a Cup contender. Let’s just pray Talbot holds up. I don’t even know what this team would trade for in order to add at the deadline, unless a stud goalie becomes available.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Solid, lots of good efforts out there. I gotta say Doughty really gets up for better competition. He was controlling things out there, the amount of guys he sprung on breaks was impressive. That pass to Kopitar was the one that really got Byfields 2nd goal rolling.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Good to see the Kings beat the F...ing "Avalunch"!We have to get through them for certain come play-off time not that I'm thinking Play-offs just yet

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
If PLD's issues were stemmed from the worst linemates he's ever had underperforming, more would be in agreement.

Is PLD setting up Grundstrom and Laferriere, but they aren't burying it? Is he pulling his weight defensively?

If any of the above were true, there would be a lot more patience towards him and agreement in your statement. But he's generally not doing himself any favors. And attributing his issues to the two players whose combined salary is less than 25% of his just doesn't jive with me.

We've argued at the time of the trade that PLD has been a 60ish point forward with top line and favorable deployments. He doesn't get that luxury on this team. He flat out needs to play better.

Laferriere and Grundstrom have plenty of room for improvement. There's no denying it. But when PLD's already had Fiala and Kaliyev, commenting on the quality of his linemates doesn't lend any credence.
Nobody is denying PLD needs to play better. Nobody. But what you're arguing to me is that because PLD had 10 or so games with Fiala (cemented top six forward, but historically doesn't mesh with every line he's put on) and Kaliyev (not so established top 6 forward) that now because of that, for the remaining 70 games of the season, his linemates have ZERO credence to his play. ZERO. Thinking in absolutes much? I understand the point you're trying to make but I don't think its that black and white.

"Yes these are the worst linemates he's ever had but it doesn't matter either way because he played with Fiala and Kaliyev for 10 games" sounds a little short sighted to me

Regardless, you guys take my statements as if I'm attributing all his issues to his linemates, and you are just flat out misinterpreting me.

I didn't say him playing with the worst linemates he's ever had is the reason he's sucking. I said that PLD is sucking but playing with the worst linemates he's ever had probably isn't helping him. Which it probably isn't. And yes he still needs to be better. Much better

Last edited:

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Nobody is denying PLD needs to play better. Nobody. But what you're arguing to me is that because PLD had 10 or so games with Fiala (cemented top six forward, but historically doesn't mesh with every line he's put on) and Kaliyev (not so established top 6 forward) that now because of that, for the remaining 70 games of the season, his linemates have ZERO credence to his play. ZERO. Thinking in absolutes much? I understand the point you're trying to make but I don't think its that black and white.

"Yes these are the worst linemates he's ever had but it doesn't matter either way because he played with Fiala and Kaliyev for 10 games" sounds a little short sighted to me

Regardless, you guys take my statements as if I'm attributing all his issues to his linemates, and you are just flat out misinterpreting me.

I said that PLD is sucking but playing with the worst linemates he's ever had probably isn't helping him. Which it probably isn't.
I think Dubois has looked better the last 3 games as far as effort. Not sure his line is the right combo though at the moment. He does have huge upside still. Could be quite the power forward especially if they shift him to wing. Kings have been having trouble finding centers to play their system. Requires a lot of thinking and so far only Kopitar Danault and Lizotte have survived the role.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think Dubois has looked better the last 3 games as far as effort. Not sure his line is the right combo though at the moment. He does have huge upside still. Could be quite the power forward especially if they shift him to wing. Kings have been having trouble finding centers to play their system. Requires a lot of thinking and so far only Kopitar Danault and Lizotte have survived the role.

I still wonder if Turcotte can be that guy.

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Fiala - Danault - Moore
Dubois - Turcotte - Kaliyev
Grundstrom - Lizotte - Lewis

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

He had a shift down low in OUR end that really impressed me and looked like Kopitar

Which is why he's so f***ing annoying, the parts, tools, and skill are there. He's been perpetually on the edge of busting out his entire career. What does it take?

I mean Connor and Schiefele are a long way from Grundstrom, but PLD looked really, really good HAVING to carry the puck, so how do you force him to keep holding it

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
He had a shift down low in OUR end that really impressed me and looked like Kopitar

Which is why he's so f***ing annoying, the parts, tools, and skill are there. He's been perpetually on the edge of busting out his entire career. What does it take?

I mean Connor and Schiefele are a long way from Grundstrom, but PLD looked really, really good HAVING to carry the puck, so how do you force him to keep holding it
Yea its frustrating. Mantha on the Caps is similar. All the talent in the world but cant piece it together shift after shift. Both guys can go coast to coast at will if they choose. Then on the other end of the spectrum you have Lizotte that has to go 100% every second of every shift.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
giphy.gif

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
None of us expected Byfield to take such a leap this year. Definitely not trading him for Stutzle. As others have said, the ceiling is just incredible. He has so many tools and his compete factor is off the charts right now.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal

I mean he's only 25, hopefully he can develop his game a little more in LA. he's been using his body more and more lately which I think is a big move in the right direction...he just needs to be more consistent with that side of the game and he can f***in dominate. he's still out of sync with the team which isnt helping his confidence IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00