GDT: 2023-24 season game 21 LA Kings vs Colorado Avalanche @5:00pm 12/3/23 The "Yes we are playing today" edition

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don't even know if I'd take Stutzle in a redraft I'm too emotionally invested in the monster QB has/will become

I’ve said consistently since before the draft that he will end up the best player from that draft class (assuming health etc), with all other things being equal. He’s not there yet though.

It feels so Good man

Less to be vindicated in faith in him

More because he’s a good kid who clearly f***ing cares so much
That’s the best way to look at it definitely. It’s so easy to root for him.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It is pretty crazy to consider the fact that Byfield has not put a wrister past a goalie this entire time. Lol. Hes scoring goals in the least conventional ways.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Busty Byfield at it again! Who would have thought the kid just needed a little patience to develop...not this board, that's for sure.
Almost from day 1 I said put Byfield with Kopi and play him on the LWing...Did I envision this kind of Production no but he had the Potential that's for sure besides turning pro as a 18 in the AHL is not good especially when Blake stacked the team with high draft choices and some AHL Vets who took up ice time...But it has worked out and will continue to work out...can you Imagine when Byfield hits his peak?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Almost as crazy as giving two shits how they go in
Charlie Simmer's goals weren't always pretty most of the time but hey they all count and man can Imagine the Kings having a re-incarnation of the Triple Crown

I'm going to go through all of his goals this season to see how many he has scored from 5 feet of the crease and roofed it. I know he scored some like that last year too but his hands are so fast that close in that the goalie just freezes.
Moore has gone beyond expectations...bet the Maple Laughs wish for a Re-do

Reactions: 21Dog

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
What's being overlooked on the Moore goal was Grundstrom's awesome board work to get him the puck.
It was a fabulous play. It's rare for Carl to do that, usually as soon as he gets in the offensive zone you can sense his brain saying two things - Hit Shoot Hit Shoot Hit Shoot. It was good to see him use some vision out there. I'd like to see more of it from Laf, he's got that same kind of tunnel vision.

Reactions: lumbergh

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
What's being overlooked on the Moore goal was Grundstrom's awesome board work to get him the puck.
Tonka is such a great player. Dude takes no shifts off and just works his bag off. Definitely the type of guy you win with. I still think we could use one more dude with soup bones for hands and chetah speed on that 4 th line. Maybe they have one of those Middle Ages torture racks we could get another 7 inches out of Lizzote with. If that dude was 6-4 225# he would be my favorite player on the team.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Nobody is denying PLD needs to play better. Nobody. But what you're arguing to me is that because PLD had 10 or so games with Fiala (cemented top six forward, but historically doesn't mesh with every line he's put on) and Kaliyev (not so established top 6 forward) that now because of that, for the remaining 70 games of the season, his linemates have ZERO credence to his play. ZERO. Thinking in absolutes much? I understand the point you're trying to make but I don't think its that black and white.

"Yes these are the worst linemates he's ever had but it doesn't matter either way because he played with Fiala and Kaliyev for 10 games" sounds a little short sighted to me

Regardless, you guys take my statements as if I'm attributing all his issues to his linemates, and you are just flat out misinterpreting me.

I didn't say him playing with the worst linemates he's ever had is the reason he's sucking. I said that PLD is sucking but playing with the worst linemates he's ever had probably isn't helping him. Which it probably isn't. And yes he still needs to be better. Much better
KP is one of my favourite posters but he really has it in for PLD, he’s not picking on you in any way. He’s just beating up on PLD in the same way Fiala gets picked on by @Trash Panda and Byfield gets bullied by @Sol (I’m playing guys before anyone gets grumpy :naughty: ).

Almost as crazy as giving two shits how they go in

The second one was just a glorified tip in, so neither count.

Busty Byfield at it again! Who would have thought the kid just needed a little patience to develop...not this board, that's for sure.
Plenty of us were preaching patience with QB, as you well know. Let’s not rewrite history.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
KP is one of my favourite posters but he really has it in for PLD, he’s not picking on you in any way. He’s just beating up on PLD in the same way Fiala gets picked on by @Trash Panda and Byfield gets bullied by @Sol (I’m playing guys before anyone gets grumpy :naughty: ).
There is a lot to be frustrated with as far as PLD goes, but he's been better and his underlying metrics are better than his play indicates. He's 4th on the team in xGF and 5th in ES points, tied with Kopitar. The biggest difference is he's got zero PP points, which is way out of character for him. Part of that is because he's being put in the high slot because he's a big body, when he's much more effective down low, but those points will eventually come.

His line is consistently 1 or 2 in expected goals in games, and while that stat isn't perfect it shows that they are usually effective. The stats say it's just a matter of time, but he still looks a bit lost out there. It doesn't help that Grundy, Laf, and to a lesser extent Kaliyev don't have the best on-ice vision. Those guys are all shooting machines and thrive on chaos, which is very contrary to PLD's possession style. I think things are at least headed in the right direction with him.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Kings top 3 lockerroom in the league for vibes
This is such an underrated positive.

The team seems to gel REALLY well together and these guys are clearly having a ton of fun while playing the game at a really high level.

Winning does that for sure - But I think with the Kings its more than just "everyone's happy because the team is winning" - It legitimately feels like a special group IMO.

Reactions: VILARGOD

Rod Auger

Mar 5, 2023
Someone need to make a gif of that post goal celly between him and Juice!
1701729353085.gif

Reactions: lumbergh

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
This is such an underrated positive.

The team seems to gel REALLY well together and these guys are clearly having a ton of fun while playing the game at a really high level.

Winning does that for sure - But I think with the Kings its more than just "everyone's happy because the team is winning" - It legitimately feels like a special group IMO.
Agreed. I alluded to something similar last week as it seems from the outside looking in the room is better this year (not saying it was bad). I was asking if it were due to an addition, subtraction or both. Both would be my bet. @Raccoon Jesus shall we blame GV? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Moore has gone beyond expectations...bet the Maple Laughs wish for a Re-do

Maybe because he is cost controlled but I think he'd be redundant on Toronto. He would've likely never gotten a shot but who knows? I think they'd prefer to have Muzzin all things being equal. The Kings definitely made out ok on that trade though. I'm a big Grundstrom fan.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Agreed. I alluded to something similar last week as it seems from the outside looking in the room is better this year (not saying it was bad). I was asking if it were due to an addition, subtraction or both. Both would be my bet. @Raccoon Jesus shall we blame GV? :laugh:

1701733027033.jpeg

Pitchforks are already out for PLD.

Well, we need more vs. what we've given up...

I think his play is strong and steadily improving but he hasn't gotten us anything but two minuses in the last two games and is currently on pace for 43 points. Those point totals got Iafallo et. al. absolutely eviscerated by this forum, so why should PLD be an exception, especially at 8.5m?

Like we're already catering to this guy. Soft ass minutes with no PK time, preferential PP deployment, 3rd line with whatever linemates he wants, 8.5m on a max deal. We're wiping his ass for him. I'd at least like a reacharound.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
View attachment 777718

Well, we need more vs. what we've given up...

I think his play is strong and steadily improving but he hasn't gotten us anything but two minuses in the last two games and is currently on pace for 43 points. Those point totals got Iafallo et. al. absolutely eviscerated by this forum, so why should PLD be an exception, especially at 8.5m?

Like we're already catering to this guy. Soft ass minutes with no PK time, preferential PP deployment, 3rd line with whatever linemates he wants, 8.5m on a max deal. We're wiping his ass for him. I'd at least like a reacharound.
Gotta give PLD some time, he just got out of back to back relationships. He’s not gonna put out right away :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad