GDT: 2023-24 season game 10 LA Kings vs Ottawa Senators @4:00pm 11/2/23

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
While I agree it’s been the worst line by a wide margin, it would be foolish to break up another functioning line to bail out your 16 million dollar scoring forwards.

PL and Kevin are gonna need to find some accountability and earn those bloated deals.

Expect to self rescue , because they damn sure are paid like they are capable of it.
I guess to be clear, none of the lines are really struggling. They just aren't living up to billing and our (certainly) unrealistic expectations. All 4 lines were above average tonight. The worst line tonight was the Danault line, the best was the Kopitar line again.

But even the Kopitar line is starting to see some negative trends creeping in. They were the only line to get outshot tonight, the best in that regard was the PLD line. I'm also of the mind that they aren't going to do anything about it in the near term, but the PLD line is failing the eye test right now.

Or hell, I'm sure we are just overanalyzing. Maybe it's just the trend in matchups this week that's making them look bad. Who knows.

The Flyers game should be interesting as I think the are playing better than their record indicates. But they are a better matchup for the Kings and play tomorrow night, so there is that.

Reactions: ru4reals

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Fiala leads the team in points and is tied for 2nd in the NHL in assists.

Kempe is over a point per game.

Yes, both are experiencing cold streaks when it comes to goal scoring but we know how talented both of these guys are... They'll get it going. And when they do the Kings will look even scarier than they already do. This team has the best offense in the league right now and that's with Kempe and Fiala both struggling to find the back of the net. I'm not too worried about either one of those guys.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Agree. PLD is the most concerning Kings skater right now IMO and that's notttttt exactly what you want to be saying about a guy you just gave up a lot to acquire and just signed to a huge contract.

6 points in 10 games isn't totally terrible but like you said... The process just doesn't seem to be there. Most nights he's pretty mediocre, some nights he's borderline invisible.

Guess we'll see. Hopefully it's just a little cold streak or maybe just a matter of him still adjusting to a new team/system. But yeah, the effort/compete seems to be lacking at times which is a bit concerning.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Need him and Fiala to be broken up.

It doesn't work, and Laf hasn't looked good lately either, probably the worst forward on the team for the past few games. None of those guys have built chemistry, it's gotten worse. No one wants to take control on that line and it shows.

Something is off with Fiala too, he's lost a step.

The team has stuck with the lines which is great as they've been winning, but I think Fiala, PLD, and Kempe need to be jumbled to get them going. Maybe try a Fiala/Kempe swap. The only line that's consistently trucking is the 4th. The Danault line has been solid but it wouldn't hurt to try Arty somewhere else either.
We've already seen Fiala with Kopitar or Danault doesn't work. Him and Kempe are obviously off so far and PLD dogging it already. Switch Kempe and Laferriere to limit the damage to one line until they work through whatever's affecting them. I'm interested to see what Laffy could do with Byfield flying right now.

Reactions: FeartheFur

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Just leave the lines alone folks. We are 6-2-2.
The Kings are so deep up front you could pick the names out of a hat and it would come out looking good.
As long as Talbot plays well they are legit. They have gone beyond an 8th seed/bubble team and are in the next tier up.

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
I'm a little less worried about results and more about process.

For Kempe the process is there.

For Fiala it's a mixed bag.

For PLD...its' not.
This! It’s nuts though that they’re number one in the league in goals with two of their best goal scorers not really lighting it up yet. Even though Dubois hasnt hit his stride yet, his addition has pushed Lizotte down and the fourth line gets a lot of momentum going with their shifts. Fourth line has been awesome and as crazy as it is to say…fun to watch.

Also, Kings could’ve easily had 5 more goals tonight.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Even a sucky PLD still centers a line that forces a matchup catastrophe for the opposing coach. That's the story of the early season. A top 9 that doesn't have to fire on even half their cylinders to put up dominant metrics. Just imagine when they get into a groove.

Yeah they can't just ignore him.

But it doesn't make it less frustrating since that line of all lines should be absolutely steamrolling teams' middle sixes.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
With Iafallo's goal and assist tonight, he has as many points as PLD. Just saying.

In all seriousness, good game. A few of the people we're counting on to be offensive threats are just raking up points despite struggling, which means other people are stepping up.

Englund's really settled in and is playing well. Night and day from training camp.

It's fun watching Byfield continue to grow as a player.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I haven't liked PLD's game recently, but he's still holding down the position, and it has a positive effect on the rest of the lineup as it puts everyone else in their proper place. PLD just has the pedigree for it.

I think trying to change things up right now is too reactionary.

I think as fans we tend to be too negative.

The Fiala-PLD-Laf line had .333 xG and .196 xGA this game. Still pretty good.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Great game!

Gavrikov deflecting that puck over the empty net early in the game was the play of the game.
That was SUCH a sexy play

really smart plays from lizotte and lewis to just drag the puck low and clock as much as possible

both could've just flung some shitty shot wide and sent them on a rush the other way, they both kept it short
Lewis seems like the perfect compliment for Grundo and Liz.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This was also a game where you wonder if you should trust your eyes more, or trust the data more.

It felt like OTT was getting a bunch of quality chances, but when you look at the shot map LA absolutely destroyed them in high danger shots.

Kingkopitar

Jan 10, 2017
Byfields got something. Maybe a hockey person can explain it better, but it's like a deceptive first stride or a good stick... I don't know.

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
This! It’s nuts though that they’re number one in the league in goals with two of their best goal scorers not really lighting it up yet. Even though Dubois hasnt hit his stride yet, his addition has pushed Lizotte down and the fourth line gets a lot of momentum going with their shifts. Fourth line has been awesome and as crazy as it is to say…fun to watch.

Also, Kings could’ve easily had 5 more goals tonight.
Not to mention we're missing a 25-30 goal guy in Arvidsson too, it's actually ridiculous to think how deep this team is offensively.

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad