GDT: 2023-24 season game 10 LA Kings vs Ottawa Senators @4:00pm 11/2/23

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Wasn't able to watch last night but that was f***ing awesome. Kings haven't had a defenseman unafraid to take huge runs at the best players on the other team since MacDermid and not since McNabb when we are talking about an every day player.

3-2 in the 3rd period so I understand the soft response from Ottawa, but that is the same shit I hate seeing the Kings do: especially early in the season. Huge fan of the Tkachuks but Brady should have really went after Englund there instead of pretending to do something.
Totally agree. This is the type of criminal DL was referring to.

The hit looked worse than it was actually...JSCristos Stutzle fell on his ass before Englund made contact so Andreas was hitting the boards really
His natural flopping ability saved his ass

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
How is that a flop? He clearly lost his balance when he backed into the boards.
Someone else called it a flop so I just repeated it. Bad term.

However, if he sets properly to take the hit his weight is forward. It was an avoidance action… I’ve seen player avoid hits like that before by letting their skates go out in that way. Deliberate or not he needed to brace for contact, it’s safer for both.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
I guess to be clear, none of the lines are really struggling. They just aren't living up to billing and our (certainly) unrealistic expectations. All 4 lines were above average tonight. The worst line tonight was the Danault line, the best was the Kopitar line again.

But even the Kopitar line is starting to see some negative trends creeping in. They were the only line to get outshot tonight, the best in that regard was the PLD line. I'm also of the mind that they aren't going to do anything about it in the near term, but the PLD line is failing the eye test right now.

Or hell, I'm sure we are just overanalyzing. Maybe it's just the trend in matchups this week that's making them look bad. Who knows.

The Flyers game should be interesting as I think the are playing better than their record indicates. But they are a better matchup for the Kings and play tomorrow night, so there is that.
Philly started hot, (3-1-1) but struggled since then (1-4-0) and now with Hart injured they have recalled Petersen (will they start him vs LA?) LA gets the rest while Philly is on the B2B.

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
He leaves his feet (barely) after the point he would have made contact without the flop down, no flop and at least the right foot stays planted. Had Stutzle taken the hit it looks clean to me. Watch England’s leg, it nearly buckles after him because of the flop. Should have been boarding on Stutzle. Chicken s##t stuff.

I frequently criticise bad hits, no matter who makes then. Englund did nothing wrong here.
looks like Englund actually goes high when he sees Stützle go down to avoid hitting him in the head.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Someone else called it a flop so I just repeated it. Bad term.

However, if he sets properly to take the hit his weight is forward. It was an avoidance action… I’ve seen player avoid hits like that before by letting their skates go out in that way. Deliberate or not he needed to brace for contact, it’s safer for both.
I don’t even think it’s fair to say he was avoiding the hit. It looks to me like he was trying to lean back against the boards after he caught the pass but that he was farther from the boards than he anticipated. I see him backing into the boards and losing his balance. I don’t see him doing anything remotely nefarious.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I don’t even think it’s fair to say he was avoiding the hit. It looks to me like he was trying to lean back against the boards after he caught the pass but that he was farther from the boards than he anticipated. I see him backing into the boards and losing his balance. I don’t see him doing anything remotely nefarious.
With how much Stützle was losing his balance throughout the game, it's hard to tell when he accidentally trips.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I could not have been more wrong in thinking that was going to be a trap game last night.

Kempe is so snake bitten. Should have had a couple last night for sure. Eventually the shooting % will drop and we will see goals scored per game dry up a bit. However, hopefully Kempe will start going and the depth LA has will offset.

With how much Stützle was losing his balance throughout the game, it's hard to tell when he accidentally trips.
This has been my knock on Arvidsson. Guy just gets put on his ass a lot. Sometimes on his own accord, someitmes from someone else's doing

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I could see it. When you spend the whole game flying through the air & playing gutless hockey, you don't get the benefit of the doubt on ducking a hit.
I think it’s possible to judge each instance individually. I certainly believe he took some egregious flops at other points in the game, but I don’t see one there.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Why would he intentionally lose his balance to put himself in a more vulnerable position to be injured by Englund?
He didn't intentionally lose his balance, his weight was shifting to his right skate as he was turning. As he pivoted, the back of his right skate hit the boards and he lost his balance and fell - as he was falling he saw Englund and he ducked his upper body slightly away to avoid contact.

Englund saw the situation and it looked like he went high to avoid a potentially awful hit to Stützle's head.

No dive, no charge. Nobody did anything wrong here, why is this a thing?

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
He didn't intentionally lose his balance, his weight was shifting to his right skate as he was turning. As he pivoted, the back of his right skate hit the boards and he lost his balance and fell - as he was falling he saw Englund and he ducked his upper body slightly away to avoid contact.

Englund saw the situation and it looked like he went high to avoid a potentially awful hit to Stützle's head.

No dive, no charge. Nobody did anything wrong here, why is this a thing?
Because it was used as another example of him diving in the game. He should be called out for his diving but I don’t believe this is an example of it.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think he dove, but he also bailed on hits throughout the game. I think this is that, even though it was assisted by the boards. So yeah he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. play a soft, ratty game, get labeled. It's pretty simple.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
He leaves his feet (barely) after the point he would have made contact without the flop down, no flop and at least the right foot stays planted. Had Stutzle taken the hit it looks clean to me. Watch England’s leg, it nearly buckles after him because of the flop. Should have been boarding on Stutzle. Chicken s##t stuff.

I frequently criticise bad hits, no matter who makes then. Englund did nothing wrong here.
Flop? He clearly was trying to get out of the way and lost an edge. Jesus some of you prove you’ve never had a pair of skates on and played the game.

Last edited:

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
I know we have this "rivalry" with the Sens, but I thought they played well last night. They certainly had more fight and played us much better than Toronto.
After that game, I am still concerned about our lack of ability to hold a lead.

I don't think eitter goal was Talbot's fault, but we gotta lock those leads down like a chastity belt
Definitely have to lock leads down and I don't love that it ended up a 1 goal game either but the first Sens goal was just a nice snipe on the powerplay (which they got as a result of a Stutzle dive in the first place lol). And the second Sens goal was kind of a freak/broken play with Kopi taking one off the face and having to skate off mid play.

So it's tough to really fault the boys for that one. They also played well and dominated most of the game - Could've easily had 3-4 more goals. Korpisalo was pretty great and kept the game closer than it should've been.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
That’s fair on marginal ones but it’s pretty clear he lost his balance backing into the boards.
That's fair - to me it didn't look like an obvious dive, but some are good at the "accidentally on purpose" type of behavior (usually with questionable hits).

With him being a notorious diver, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that with the traffic around him, he would be willing to let himself fall in a way to draw another penalty.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold
Not ready to shit on anyone just yet but where is the Notorius PLD? He looked so good in preseason and the first few games of regular season. Now he seems to be a ghost so much as I was wondering why he isn't on either powerplay unit last night. Then I realize he's on the first powerplay unit late in the game last night. Again, not hating because right now there are contributions from all four lines so it's not fair to single anyone out.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Not ready to shit on anyone just yet but where is the Notorius PLD? He looked so good in preseason and the first few games of regular season. Now he seems to be a ghost so much as I was wondering why he isn't on either powerplay unit last night. Then I realize he's on the first powerplay unit late in the game last night. Again, not hating because right now there are contributions from all four lines so it's not fair to single anyone out.

The flu is working its way through the team now, wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the several guys sick on this trip. He was a bit off last night, along with others.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Must be fun to be a member of this years team knowing the depth, the system, the personnel are all there to have a great season. When you know you can simply do your job and not need to be spectacular to win games and others have the same mindset- has to be fun times.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Perception I guess. Either way Englund did nothing wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad