GDT: 2023-24 season game 10 LA Kings vs Ottawa Senators @4:00pm 11/2/23

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
With Englund it's starting to go beyond "pleasant surprise" to this guy might actually be good.

That's the 3rd time I can remember him making a play leading directly to a goal. And once again he draws a penalty and puts LA on the PP. Currently leads the team in penalty differential.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
F9-TdU6WgAAtIUa

F9-TdFyWQAAlzD0

Look at our 3rd D pair. Damn.

Also, has Grundstrom finally turned the corner? He's always showed flashes of being a good bottom 6 winger but the effort was always inconsistent. He seems much more solid this year. And I'm not just talking about the goals.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
F9-TdU6WgAAtIUa

F9-TdFyWQAAlzD0

Look at our 3rd D pair. Damn.

Also, has Grundstrom finally turned the corner? He's always showed flashes of being a good bottom 6 winger but the effort was always inconsistent. He seems much more solid this year. And I'm not just talking about the goals.
I loathe Lizotte in a 3C role but we've seen Lemieux look like a legit player on his wing.

His hit totals aren't on pace with the norm and his shooting percentage is like it was when he got the late season cup of coffee as a rookie and we all got really excited about him. We can't expect the shooting percentage to remain this high, but I do like his wrist shot and he's been getting the opportunity to show it off.

What's good, and what you're probably more in to, is the overall game. Even though he scored in the opener, he also had the lazy play where he passed up a check and then took a bad tripping penalty that led to a PP goal against. No penalties taken since then and just a solid, all-around game.

Trevor Lewis has been a punchline on this Board for his entire career, lovingly by some and not-so-lovingly by others, but the guy is a god damn professional hockey player going at a ~.50 PPG clip at almost 37 years old on the LA Kings fourth line. He's not employed in the NHL because he's going to make stupid plays: he's smart and the puck is generally going to go forward and not going the other way on a turnover. It's great for Grundstrom to have a true vet like Lewis on his line.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I loathe Lizotte in a 3C role but we've seen Lemieux look like a legit player on his wing.
I don't think anyone likes Lizotte as 3C.

But as I've argued before, Lizotte is an excellent 4C. But there's concerns about his durability down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Grundstrom leads the team in hits per 60. I like the physicality he brings. He's always had an excellent wrist shot. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Dubios have been horrific lately. Need him and Fiala to wake the F*** up.
Need him and Fiala to be broken up.

It doesn't work, and Laf hasn't looked good lately either, probably the worst forward on the team for the past few games. None of those guys have built chemistry, it's gotten worse. No one wants to take control on that line and it shows.

Something is off with Fiala too, he's lost a step.

The team has stuck with the lines which is great as they've been winning, but I think Fiala, PLD, and Kempe need to be jumbled to get them going. Maybe try a Fiala/Kempe swap. The only line that's consistently trucking is the 4th. The Danault line has been solid but it wouldn't hurt to try Arty somewhere else either.

Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

It doesn't work, and Laf hasn't looked good lately either, probably the worst forward on the team for the past few games. None of those guys have built chemistry, it's gotten worse. No one wants to take control on that line and it shows.

The team has stuck with the lines which is great as they've been winning, but I think Fiala, PLD, and Kempe need to be jumbled to get them going. Maybe try a Fiala/Kempe swap. The only line that's consistently trucking is the 4th. The Danault line has been solid but it wouldn't hurt to try Arty somewhere else either.
I wouldn't mind maybe Byfield centering PLD and Fiala, he's the engine that keeps going and may take the load off of PLD and help Fiala. Maybe put Laf on the fourth and move Grundy up to the first. Just a thought they are winning on the road so if it aint broke don't fix it I guess.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

While I agree it’s been the worst line by a wide margin, it would be foolish to break up another functioning line to bail out your 16 million dollar scoring forwards.

PL and Kevin are gonna need to find some accountability and earn those bloated deals.

Expect to self rescue , because they damn sure are paid like they are capable of it.

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
I agree Fiala looks a little off and his lack of goal scoring has been surprising...... But the guy is on pace for 98 points lmao

And that's with a 4% shooting percentage - which we know isn't sustainable. The goals will start to come. And hopefully the assists continue to pile up.

Respectfully, y'all are being a little too critical. He leads the team in points and is on pace to be the highest scoring King in what? Decades?? Yet some of these comments make it seem like he's overpaid/not contributing. Come on now.

Sure, we know he can be better and know he can score more, but the fact that he's still producing like this while looking a little off and in the midst of a scoring drought is pretty impressive. Honestly, I see it more as a positive than a negative (assuming there's no injury of course) - Because imagine when the goals do start to come.

This guy could legit put up 100 points this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad