2023-24 San Diego Gulls/Tulsa Oilers

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Zellweger will be an NHL regular by October

This is my belief as well. As long as Fowler is here, next season it's Fowler, Mintyukov, and Zellweger on the left. Vaakanainen and LaCombe either have to play RD, will be the extra defenseman, or will be traded. I just can't see the keeping Zellweger down. They need the offense and he's showing he's ready.

Side note, if the Ducks keep Fowler for the duration of his contract, LaCombe seems like the odd man out as Vaakanainen is better suited as a 6/7.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
This is my belief as well. As long as Fowler is here, next season it's Fowler, Mintyukov, and Zellweger on the left. Vaakanainen and LaCombe either have to play RD, will be the extra defenseman, or will be traded. I just can't see the keeping Zellweger down. They need the offense and he's showing he's ready.

Side note, if the Ducks keep Fowler for the duration of his contract, LaCombe seems like the odd man out as Vaakanainen is better suited as a 6/7.
Well, then expect us to still be a bottom 5-6 team next year then because we'd be the softest d-core in the league by far. And when Gudas eventually gets dinged up, Gibby and Dostal will really get run over. I'd really prefer that our team attempted to not continue bending over for the 8th consecutive year.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Well, then expect us to still be a bottom 5-6 team next year then because we'd be the softest d-core in the league by far. And when Gudas eventually gets dinged up, Gibby and Dostal will really get run over. I'd really prefer that our team attempted to not continue bending over for the 8th consecutive year.

I suppose but Gudas and Mintyukov are definitely not soft. Based on the games I've seen, I would not label Zell as soft. Maybe not tough but not soft. Fowler I understand but the Ducks clearly need two RD for next season. I would imagine one would be tough enough. Seems a bit early to label adding Zell makes them the softest considering we don't know who those other defensemen will be.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I suppose but Gudas and Mintyukov are definitely not soft. Based on the games I've seen, I would not label Zell as soft. Maybe not tough but not soft. Fowler I understand but the Ducks clearly need two RD for next season. I would imagine one would be tough enough. Seems a bit early to label adding Zell makes them the softest considering we don't know who those other defensemen will be.
Yup, Zell plays with a bit of an edge. He’s just small.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Zellweger looks compact-strong. The more I see of him the less I think his stature is going to be an issue. His main limitations will be reach, but he makes up for that with his skills and vision.

If we have to add a few more gritty guys on the back, fine ... but if he's in the AHL next year we might as well trade him to a team that will play him (and there are plenty) and get a player we might actually use.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Zellweger looks compact-strong. The more I see of him the less I think his stature is going to be an issue. His main limitations will be reach, but he makes up for that with his skills and vision.

If we have to add a few more gritty guys on the back, fine ... but if he's in the AHL next year we might as well trade him to a team that will play him (and there are plenty) and get a player we might actually use.
They are not trading Zellweger.. He is basically Fowlers Replacement...

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022

Why wouldn't the ducks use him? They seem like the team that most d man seeking playing time would want to go to.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Why wouldn't the ducks use him? They seem like the team that most d man seeking playing time would want to go to.

That's the point. He's needed now, he's ready ... So burying him is a waste. If he's in the AHL next year then the org clearly doesn't value him and they might as well trade him for someone they do want to play.

Reactions: Deuce22

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
That's the point. He's needed now, he's ready ... So burying him is a waste. If he's in the AHL next year then the org clearly doesn't value him and they might as well trade him for someone they do want to play.
IMO where Zellweger plays next year is entirely dependent on his ability to play passable NHL defense and handle NHL physicality. He is still very young.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
No Perreault is very weird. They claim to have healthy scratched him quite a few times, but they are literally playing with 11 forwards. I feel like it has to be an injury, but they don’t list him with one.

Wiebe was listed as injured in their last game. (scroll up for lineup tweet.) so it's easy to presume that Weibe and Perreault are injured.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don’t think it’d take a genius to deduce that Pat is thoroughly unimpressed with Perreault and a couple other guys down there

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1