Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

For years now, the tandem of Linus Ullmark and Jeremy Swayman has served as the bedrock of the Bruins’ success.
But with the NHL trade deadline less than two weeks away, could the Bruins actually look at uprooting the best goalie duo in the NHL?
During the latest episode of the “32 Thoughts” podcast, NHL insiders Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek brought up the possibility of Boston dangling Ullmark on the trade market — with Friedman suggesting that Don Sweeney might pull the trigger on said deal if it allows Boston to upgrade other areas of the roster.

“One thing about Boston, I think they’re looking for a center, I think they’re looking for a defenseman,” Friedman said. “They don’t have picks. … I had a few people point out to me, the Bruins actually have players they can move. Now, there’s a lot of whispers about Ullmark. I’m really careful about this this time of year, because a lot of it becomes almost circumstantial evidence. … Teams out there do believe the Bruins are trying to upgrade their roster.

“And all you have to do is look at what they are capable of and say it’s not coming out of the draft. Do they really want to deal their top prospects, some of whom have already played in the NHL? I don’t think so. So, if they want to make changes, it probably has to come off their roster, and that’s why I think people are looking at Ullmark.”

Even if the Bruins wanted to be aggressive this deadline in search of a big piece like Noah Hanifin or several depth upgrades, there’s no ignoring the elephant in the room.

After season after season spent putting all their chips on the table for “win-now” moves, the Bruins are ill-equipped to be major buyers this year.

Boston currently has just $61,558 of available cap space, per CapFriendly.

The Bruins don’t have a first, second, or third-round pick in the upcoming 2024 NHL Draft, nor do they have a 2025 second or fourth-round selection. A dried-up prospect pool only has a few coveted assets like Mason Lohrei and Matt Poitras — two youngsters that Boston ideally keeps in place for the foreseeable future.

With few viable options available for Sweeney in terms of trade capital, an Ullmark trade could open the door for some much-needed flexibility.

The Bruins clearly value the impact of having two No. 1 goalies — both in terms of baseline production and the perks that come with keeping both netminders fresh during the grind of an 82-game regular season.

Still, the Bruins might have to confront hard truths this summer when it comes to keeping this tandem together for the long haul.

Even with Boston expected to enter the offseason with over $26 million in cap space, the Bruins will need to account for a raise with Swayman — who is due for a bump in pay after getting awarded $3.475 million in arbitration.

Shipping out Ullmark’s $5 million cap hit could open the door for Boston to absorb a contract like Hanifin’s ($4.95 million) — or several other contributors like a middle-six winger and physical blueliner.

A veteran goalie like Ullmark may not be coveted by a team looking at a rebuild like Calgary, but Boston could net a first-round pick and other valuable assets if they move the talented netminder to a team in desperate need of help between the pipes.

Boston could use said first-round pick to either replenish their prospect pipeline, or ship it in a separate deal for a blueliner like Hanifin or Minnesota’s Jacob Middleton.

It’d make for a busy couple of days for Sweeney and his staff, but would allow Boston to both free up cap space and acquire draft capital without having to dip into their own draft cupboard.

One important final note: Ullmark also isn’t the type of trade asset that the Bruins could willingly deal to a team in need of reinforcements in net like … Edmonton.

With Ullmark sporting a 16-team no-trade list, he has plenty of say in where exactly he’d go if the Bruins do field offers for him — be it this week or during the offseason.

That’s not to say that a trade is completely off the table, but it does make such a swap harder to pull off if Ullmark isn’t looking to play in a market he doesn’t like.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
1708982062315.png

1708981911101.png

Key points:
He did not take a 12 million a year deal at the start of the season. So this gives us a price frame to work with.

He is a 25 year old center who is not yet hit his peak yet. He is considered a top 10 center on most peoples list.

He is an RFA, not a UFA.
So not only does a team have to pay him, they have to trade for his rights as well.

Source:

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Is that the same Hathaway who leads all forwards in hits and who's second in the entire league in hits to only another ex Bruin in Jermey Lauzon? I think Sweeney needs to give him self some due-process and evaluate on how he evaluates the make up of a team.

Here's what's crazy though....

Hathaway Hits/GP
'21-'22: 3.2 (WSH)
'22-'23: 3.3 (WSH)
'22-'23: 2.8 (BOS)
'23-'24: 3.6 (PHI)

Kind of odd that he comes to Boston and his H/GP drops by about 15%

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Hard to see EP not re-sign in Vancouver. They are going all in and showing EP that they want to contend.

In my opinion, it doesn't make much sense for the Bruins to trade Ullmark. Unless the Bruins are trying to clear cap space for another deal, Ullmark will probably return something similar in a trade during the offseason. Picks and prospects aren't going to help the Bruins win this season. Ullmark and Swayman are major reasons why the Bruins are as successful as they have been this season.

Martin Necas might be available.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I don’t care about what sweeney does for this year so much as what it means for the next 5.

He has an all world dare I say generational talent in Pasta and he absolutely positively must build a team around him that can win a cup.
I wonder what 3 teams are that Forbort can’t be traded to? He might not want to go to Canada again?

I wonder what 3 teams are that Forbort can’t be traded to? He might not want to go to Canada again?

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Likely an extreme longshot here, what would it take to get Brady Tkachuk out of Ottawa? If even possible but I doubt it. He would be perfect for this team.
A team captain who is 24 who can give you 30+ goals, 70+ points all while being very physical. Not sure we have anything to offer for that type of player outside of Chuck. Even our top prospects aren't eye catching enough for Ottawa to budge.

Reactions: Gordoff and RatKing

RatKing

Jan 26, 2023
What about a signed Swayman, signed Debrusk, Poitras, 2025 1st round pick for Tkachuk. I’d hate to trade Sway but if that’s what potentially makes it happen I’m all for it. This is probably not near enough anyway.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
What about a signed Swayman, signed Debrusk, Poitras, 2025 1st round pick for Tkachuk. I’d hate to trade Sway but if that’s what potentially makes it happen I’m all for it. This is probably not near enough anyway.

Where are people getting any indication Tkachuk is available?

Reactions: lopey

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
He probably isn’t, but there wasn’t any indication his brother was available either.

Brady loves being a Sen, the captain, and his contract has four more years on it after this one. He's a literal God in Ottawa. Pasta is more "available", lol

Reactions: Gordoff

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Here's what's crazy though....

Hathaway Hits/GP
'21-'22: 3.2 (WSH)
'22-'23: 3.3 (WSH)
'22-'23: 2.8 (BOS)
'23-'24: 3.6 (PHI)

Kind of odd that he comes to Boston and his H/GP drops by about 15%
Team mentality plus the coaches insisting on getting back into the play immediately.

Reactions: ON3M4N

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I get that he'd be a great Bruin and I get that he is tough, but he doesn't address our biggest need at center. Do we let Charlie Coyle center Pasta and Tkachick?

Reactions: RatKing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad