Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
For anyone considering a trade for Boone Jenner:

Problem for CBJ is they have so many bad, borderline untradeable contracts that the next GM pretty much has to work with what he has an re-tool rather than rebuild. They can't get out from under Gaudreau, Werenski, Gudbranson, Severson, Merzlikins, Laine, etc. and all are signed for a minimum two more years after this one.

Their only real assets of value are Jenner, UFA Roslovic, Provorov, and their young players and picks.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Problem for CBJ is they have so many bad, borderline untradeable contracts that the next GM pretty much has to work with what he has an re-tool rather than rebuild. They can't get out from under Gaudreau, Werenski, Gudbranson, Severson, Merzlikins, Laine, etc. and all are signed for a minimum two more years after this one.

Their only real assets of value are Jenner, UFA Roslovic, Provorov, and their young players and picks.
I think Werenski would he great here playing with Mac...obviously injury history is concerning but I think they'd find a buyer.

You think he's fallen off that much that he'd be untradeable?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think Werenski would he great here playing with Mac...obviously injury history is concerning but I think they'd find a buyer.

$9.5M with a full NMC. And they’re not going to retain on that. So pretty unmoveable to anyone remotely in a playoff spot.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
$9.5M with a full NMC. And they’re not going to retain on that. So pretty unmoveable to anyone remotely in a playoff spot.
Thinking more of an offseason move...probably wouldn't work here with Lindholm/Mac/Carlo eating up a decent chunk of money on the backend, but I would think with 30 points in 40 games on a trash team that they could find a suitor this offseason. That said the amount of Jackets games I've watched this year can be counted on one hand.

Reactions: MarchysNoseKnows

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

That 9,5 for 4 more years after this one is a tough pill to swallow for a guy who hasn't played close to a full season since 2019 and has played just 53 games since April 2022.

You might find a team with a pile of cap space who may do CBJ a favor and take the chance. But if your up against the cap, that's a big risk IMO. I've always liked Werenski and think he's a very good player but he got a bigger contract from CBJ than he was really worth because they typically have to overpay to get guys to commit there. He's getting McAvoy pay but he was never a McAvoy level D-man IMO. A notch below.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
That 9,5 for 4 more years after this one is a tough pill to swallow for a guy who hasn't played close to a full season since 2019 and has played just 53 games since April 2022.

You might find a team with a pile of cap space who may do CBJ a favor and take the chance. But if your up against the cap, that's a big risk IMO. I've always liked Werenski and think he's a very good player but he got a bigger contract from CBJ than he was really worth because they typically have to overpay to get guys to commit there. He's getting McAvoy pay but he was never a McAvoy level D-man IMO. A notch below.
Agreed on all this. Also I don't think Colombus is gonna look to move him. They already have the perception as a franchise that no one wants to sign there, can't move one of the only guys that was willing to stay.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed on all this. Also I don't think Colombus is gonna look to move him. They already have the perception as a franchise that no one wants to sign there, can't move one of the only guys that was willing to stay.

I don't see them moving him either. They pretty much have to run it back given the rest of the bad deals they carry and if I'm them, I'm probably just going to wait and see what Werenski brings next year if he's healthy. Of the bad contracts they have, he's likely the last they'd want to move and the most desirable of the bad contracts to be obtained.

Reactions: dugg133

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I agree with a lot of this, but 4 more years brings him to 30/31, which means you can potentially expect another contract out of him if he plays well and is healthy. Brings offensive skills from the backend which we would need, or other teams would surely be happy to bring in.

Is hanifin at like 8 mil for 7 years or whatever he's asking really that much better?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with a lot of this, but 4 more years brings him to 30/31, which means you can potentially expect another contract out of him if he plays well and is healthy. Brings offensive skills from the backend which we would need, or other teams would surely be happy to bring in.

Is hanifin at like 8 mil for 7 years or whatever he's asking really that much better?

I think the difference is in the durability. Hanifin is one of the most durable players in the NHL.

Now I think a peak, fully-healthy, no-questions-asked Werenski is the better player with the higher upside.

But with the injury history, contract AAV, etc. I think Werenski is a huge risk. I know people will say what odds just LTIR him. But what if he's not catastrophically injured but is just in and out of the line-up consistently. Really ties a GM's hands at that cap value. Can't replace him, not in the line-up half the time. A nightmare for a coach and GM in a cap system.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I'd rather sign Hanifin from 28-35 than a Werenski deal that starts when he is 31.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
ok so with the Looch situation resolved and the news that he's staying on a leave of absence for the rest of the season, that probably means he stays on LTIR for the rest of the year too. No reason to wait to put Poitras on there as well anymore. That also means you have enough cap space to recall whoever you want from Providence.

So no more cap excuses, if they're riding with Boqvist, Steen, and Richard in the bottom 6 over the higher upside kids then it's cause that's what they prefer, and deserve the criticism that comes with willingly playing 3 JAGs in the lineup.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
ok so with the Looch situation resolved and the news that he's staying on a leave of absence for the rest of the season, that probably means he stays on LTIR for the rest of the year too. No reason to wait to put Poitras on there as well anymore. That also means you have enough cap space to recall whoever you want from Providence.

So no more cap excuses, if they're riding with Boqvist, Steen, and Richard in the bottom 6 over the higher upside kids then it's cause that's what they prefer, and deserve the criticism that comes with willingly playing 3 JAGs in the lineup.
You can't LTIR someone who is healthy and available to play. He's going to count against the cap.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I’m assuming even with Lucic & Poitras on LTIR, the team still is unable to add a player via trade without equal money moving out?
If Looch stays in LTIR and they add Poitras to it as well, they'd have a bit under 1mil in cap space as of rn. So you can potentially add a low salary player with nothing going the other way, but if you want a difference maker you need to send someone out.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I know the Lucic thread got shut down, and rightly so. It’s been decided.

I just wanted to say Kudos to management (and maybe Lucic, who knows?) for doing the right thing here.

It sucks and this team could use him, but it is what it is.

Hope Milan continues to get the help he needs and that his family heals. Best case for everyone if that happens.

Some things are far more important than whether my favorite team succeeds.

What a shitty situation this turned out to be. But that‘s on Lucic and he needs to fix his life, again, for the benefit of all.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Dan is the guy that loves Hanifin.I have started watching him way closer since and he was right about him.He would instantly make Bruins better in a couple areas.Beautiful skater and that will help as he ages.
Reminds me of Bouwmeester and he was effective into his late 30s

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad