Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion X

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
He ranks 44th among LW- no need to think, it's easy to find. If we say top 60 is essentially a top 6 LW in general terms, then he is doing the job at the lower end. But that is simplistic and fails to account for a lot of factors such as linemates, outlier years, team depth etc. For me, based on talent level alone, Jake ought to be 40 points or more by now. If you look at his company in that tier of points (27 +/- 5) he is better in terms of skill than most. 40 points would put him just outside the top 20 LW category league-wide, and that is what I feel his talent warrants. But we also know that isn't the whole story.
Well the idea was not to look it up, but thanks for spoiling it lol.

If he was at 40 points now, what do you think his value would be?

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Sweeney scouting undrafted Collège players = 2024 Draft. In some sense it could give him a bit of leverage
That’s his go to move. He loves signing adults that have nhl potential. Smart imo since he has to trade away most of his picks every season.
I understand mcdavid and draisaitl are very high upper echelon players. But it’s funny to watch posters bash players like RNH and Hyman for inflated numbers while playing with those guys while also failing to recognize Debrusks numbers benefited greatly from playing next to bergy/marchand.
I loveHyman. He would look beautiful in a bruins jersey.
I would be interested to see the asking price on zegras.
probably too much because of his ceiling. He has a lot of tools you can’t teach. But he hasn’t proved he can really bring it yet. He still has term with a decent contract. that contract leaves the signing rights in the ducks hands when it’s done(RFA).
I hope Sweeney's ask for JBD would be(in no particular order):
Detroit - Robby Fabbri , Joe Veleno, or Christian Fisher.
Calgary - Hanifin or Martin Pospisil
St Louis - Jimmy Snuggerud , Schenn or Hayes
if Calgary trades pospisil they are out to lunch.
Engage on Seeler or Walker? Poor English.
Time to remove him from twitter starting immediately.

Reactions: UncleRico

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
But, I do think there was a directive to not engage between the whistles. Florida was riding a hot power play coming into the postseason and one of their paths to winning that series was winning the special teams battle. Bruins won that battle, but they didn't win the war, obviously.
If that was the directive than that was stupid strategy, you punch someone in the mouth knowing you are not getting punched back I would give odds that you are going to get punched again........

Really? When was the last time you seen Coyle set anyone up for a goal? Numbers lie he is as far from a number one center as we have.

Fools gold as some like to use. But I will say Jake needs to either sign or be traded soon.
No one ever said he was a number one center, but he has stepped this season and should be given credit.............my 7th player award vote.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonHowe

FRyan4426

Feb 15, 2023
Kingston, MA
At what point is anyone interested and trying to re-gain some draft capital? I’m starting to think about it.

If some team offers a 2nd for JVR I feel like you need to take that. Some insane team might even offer a 1st. Same deal but lower offers for a guy like Heinen. It’s tough because I always want them to go for it but I think we all know that there isn’t a chance in hell they make it past round 1 or 2.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well the idea was not to look it up, but thanks for spoiling it lol.

If he was at 40 points now, what do you think his value would be?

Ah sorry lol, I guess I figured checking your stuff before you post was de rigueur (I should know better as I have not always done so haha). 40 points (and a caveat that this is a consistent performance level for him) I would have no problem giving him $6+ per year (maybe a bit more, like $6,5)). Now I didn't look up what guys at the 40 pt LW mark are making because I suspect it is all over the map and again influenced by lots of factors beyond the point totals.

I also feel like what we pay Jake for a hypothetical 40 points thus far and I guess that would be roughly a 55 point season, might not be the same as for another team given roster construction and cap constraints etc. I could see a reliable 55-60 point guy getting $7+ from someone, and I don't know that the Bruins do that much.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
I would make 4 moves at the deadline if possible:

1. Forbort (50 % retained) + Debrusk for Evander Kane. Why, Kane has the skillset we are missing in the top 6 and playing him with Pasta would prevent guys from talking liberties on him.

2. Matt Gryz + Mason Lohrei for Noah Hanifin (25% retained)

3. Mathieu Olivier for Jakub Lauko

4. Sam Carrick for 4th in 2024

Kane-Zacha-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Freddy
JVR-Geekie-Heinen
Olivier-Carrick-Brazeau

Hanifin-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wortherspoon-Shatty
I'd have to hold my nose a bit for #1 and not exactly sure why Edmonton does that and not get a goalie.

So we would start the playoffs with no Gryz, Lohrei, or Forbort and Lindholm is on IR so we are unsure he'll even be healthy let alone effective.

Shatty not being our #8 D-man come playoff time is a major depth problem.

I wish cap space was available to give Merk a shot at that 3rd line center position for the next two weeks. Geekie is not the answer there.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Jake will get the standard 5/27.5 deal wingers like he get. Hopefully it’s not the Bruins. Get a C with his money. Marchand Zacha pasta and Freddy are all better than he as top 2 line options imo.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Jake will get the standard 5/27.5 deal wingers like he get. Hopefully it’s not the Bruins. Get a C with his money. Marchand Zacha pasta and Freddy are all better than he as top 2 line options imo.

You do need six guys in the top 6, though. And Freddy out of the bottom 6 leaves it pretty lean. I'm team "DeBrusk under 6 is OK" on an island, but if moving him allows you to make other moves, have at it.

Reactions: bbfan419

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
At what point is anyone interested and trying to re-gain some draft capital? I’m starting to think about it.

If some team offers a 2nd for JVR I feel like you need to take that. Some insane team might even offer a 1st. Same deal but lower offers for a guy like Heinen. It’s tough because I always want them to go for it but I think we all know that there isn’t a chance in hell they make it past round 1 or 2.
I would be surprised if the Bruins sell outright, but if they did and JVR was the asset, VGK stands out to me as a possible home for him. They have the 18th ranked PP and magically have almost all of their picks available in '24 and '25.

Keep in mind, the Bruins have also been linked to William Carrier and have a cap space issue of their own, so it has to be money in/money out.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Same a
Bruins should grab Olivier from CBJ --mean SOB who showed good hands and shot in Jr's

He's similar to Lucic in style

Same age as Shawn Thornton when we picked him up.

Edit: he's only 27! Thornton was 30 when we picked him up.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Thought exercise. Jake has 27 points this year.

A) where do you think that ranks him among LW? (He ranks higher among RW if you wanted to go there)

B) if he were “consistent” how many more points do you think he should have?
It ranks him quite possibly earning a pay decrease, not an increase.

When you look at his innate talents, it really does seem to be a case of squandered potential.

Pray young Jake never has to go to arbitration. I fear it would break him financially and mentally.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Is that the same Hathaway who leads all forwards in hits and who's second in the entire league in hits to only another ex Bruin in Jermey Lauzon? I think Sweeney needs to give him self some due-process and evaluate on how he evaluates the make up of a team.

2.3 mill for this year and next is a lot of money for a 4th liner though. Bruins used that to sign bargain bins deals on Lucic ( miss ) and JVR ( hit ).

Reactions: TCB

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I don’t care about what sweeney does for this year so much as what it means for the next 5.

He has an all world dare I say generational talent in Pasta and he absolutely positively must build a team around him that can win a cup.
It's hard with no draft picks outside 2025 1st .His best route to fixing things is probably trading Ullmark in near future ( deadline or this offseason) & find a Top C a top 4 LH D man & some toughness .With 26 million in space and assets from dealing Linus he should be able to do it .

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
2.3 mill for this year and next is a lot of money for a 4th liner though. Bruins used that to sign bargain bins deals on Lucic ( miss ) and JVR ( hit ).

and let's be real, Lucic is a miss because of Lucic's off ice f*** up.

He actually looked decent to good on the ice and definitely changed the attitude of the team out of the gate.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Reading a lot of ideas on this page but still can't see much happening. A goalie isn't going to get traded. Nobody wants Gryz or Forbort. Only player with a bit of value is Debrusk. He alone won't get anything of value. Don't want Lysell or Lohrei traded at all. Poitras I'm indifferent. No picks, cap space or tradeable assets and were discussing Hanifin, RNH, Zegras etc.
It will be depth at best. Hopefully some size and grit. Not getting my hopes up at the deadline.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'd have to hold my nose a bit for #1 and not exactly sure why Edmonton does that and not get a goalie.

So we would start the playoffs with no Gryz, Lohrei, or Forbort and Lindholm is on IR so we are unsure he'll even be healthy let alone effective.

Shatty not being our #8 D-man come playoff time is a major depth problem.

I wish cap space was available to give Merk a shot at that 3rd line center position for the next two weeks. Geekie is not the answer there.
Geekie is having a career bests in goals and assists, also he already has more hits then any other season. His face % is poor, but in the past has been better. I seen enough of Merk that I can honestly say he will not help this club. I also will add that you want to try him on the 4th line where so many on this site bitched that it was not fair he was playing on the 4th line when he had his callup.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011

We're not sellers...

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

He actually looked decent to good on the ice and definitely changed the attitude of the team out of the gate.

I liked his game as well, they even put him on the top line for a few shifts and assisted on one of Pasta's goals.

Reactions: KnightofBoston

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I know it's a moot point since he won't be coming back, but I really wish he were able to join the team again, he brings leadership and intangibles that they're lacking. But it's his fault in the end, a real shame.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Is that the same Hathaway who leads all forwards in hits and who's second in the entire league in hits to only another ex Bruin in Jermey Lauzon? I think Sweeney needs to give him self some due-process and evaluate on how he evaluates the make up of a team.
It's not the same Hathaway. If it was the Bruins would have made it out of the first round last year.

Reactions: capecodder
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad